1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fj40 drum brake adjustment

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Travis_Kinney, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Travis_Kinney

Travis_Kinney

Everytime I have my drums open and adjust my brake pads, I say to myself "Oh I don't need to draw a sketch of which way to trun those adjusting wheels, I'll remember." Well, I never remember! I've been having to pump the brakes once to get a firm braking action. So on Saturday I was going to reduce the brake pad clearance, but couldn't remember which way to turn the adjusting wheel with the screwdriver! ugh

I know I can lift the wheel up and adjust the pad, spin the wheel, feel for resistance etc etc. But can anyone just describe to me in detail which way to trun these adjusters with the screwdriver? For example, do you use the screwdriver to push the cogs on the adjuster toward the front of the vehicle? Are all the two on each wheel truned toward the front?

I'm going to plow into someone if I don't adjust these tonight, but removing the wheels and drum cover when the temperature is in the teens sucks. At least it's above zero unlike the last couple weeks!

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

yeah I know how your feel. Let see if I get it right. on the old drum axles with 2 cylinders.If you adjust away from the axle(front and rearwards) it should tighten, in towards the axle loosens. I had it figured out once........and I am prolly wrong

3. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    The easiest way is take off the wheel and drum, otherwise you get pissed off.

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    John you are correct, so long as the PO has not installed replacement cylinders in the wrong locations...

Fun time!

Good luck!

-Steve

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

your kidding me......I remembered right? I thought I had killed those brain cells? :D

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10888;start=msg97896#msg97896 date=1075742994]
    John you are correct, so long as the PO has not installed replacement cylinders in the wrong locations...

Fun time!

Good luck!

-Steve
    [/quote]

6. hammerhead

hammerhead

Poser and Landpimp are right - IF your wheel cylinders are in the proper respective locations you move the handle of your adjusting tool away from the axle to expand the shoes.

The factory service manual says -
    Turn the expander nut out until it can't be turned any further. Then, turn the adjuster back 4 or 5 notches.

If you get them right you should be careful the first few times you step on the brakes. Mine were capable of barking my 35" mudders on the street.

7. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

well adjusted drum brakes rock. i almost slammed mums road car with 4 wheel discs and my 40 with front disks into a few cars after getting used to my 45 with well adjusted drums.

i don't know about the whole backing off 5 turns, i'd try 2 and see if they rub.

8. s79bj40

s79bj40

i remember it by thinking of the cylinders as jars with lids, when i'm lying under looking up i imagine a jar and turn it like i'm taking the lid off to loosen the brakes and putting the lid on to tighten them. or maybe its the other way-its obvious after you done one.

9. Travis_Kinney

Travis_Kinney

Hey hammerhead, you say to move the adjusting tool away from the axle. But, are you prying the wheel adjuster in toward the axle when you do that? You know, levering the srewdriver on the edge of the little slotted opening? If so then your really turning the adjuster toward the axle. Right? or wrong?

10. 2canoe

2canoe

you are right, row away from axle to tighten

11. 2canoe

2canoe

row away from the axle to tighten

12. 2canoe

2canoe

row away from axle to tighten