fj40 drum brake adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everytime I have my drums open and adjust my brake pads, I say to myself "Oh I don't need to draw a sketch of which way to trun those adjusting wheels, I'll remember." Well, I never remember! I've been having to pump the brakes once to get a firm braking action. So on Saturday I was going to reduce the brake pad clearance, but couldn't remember which way to turn the adjusting wheel with the screwdriver! ugh

I know I can lift the wheel up and adjust the pad, spin the wheel, feel for resistance etc etc. But can anyone just describe to me in detail which way to trun these adjusters with the screwdriver? For example, do you use the screwdriver to push the cogs on the adjuster toward the front of the vehicle? Are all the two on each wheel truned toward the front?

I'm going to plow into someone if I don't adjust these tonight, but removing the wheels and drum cover when the temperature is in the teens sucks. At least it's above zero unlike the last couple weeks!

yeah I know how your feel. Let see if I get it right. on the old drum axles with 2 cylinders.If you adjust away from the axle(front and rearwards) it should tighten, in towards the axle loosens. I had it figured out once........and I am prolly wrong

John you are correct, so long as the PO has not installed replacement cylinders in the wrong locations...

Fun time!

Good luck!

-Steve

your kidding me......I remembered right? I thought I had killed those brain cells? :D

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10888;start=msg97896#msg97896 date=1075742994]
John you are correct, so long as the PO has not installed replacement cylinders in the wrong locations...

Fun time!

Good luck!

-Steve
[/quote]

Poser and Landpimp are right - IF your wheel cylinders are in the proper respective locations you move the handle of your adjusting tool away from the axle to expand the shoes.

The factory service manual says -
Turn the expander nut out until it can't be turned any further. Then, turn the adjuster back 4 or 5 notches.

If you get them right you should be careful the first few times you step on the brakes. Mine were capable of barking my 35" mudders on the street.

well adjusted drum brakes rock. i almost slammed mums road car with 4 wheel discs and my 40 with front disks into a few cars after getting used to my 45 with well adjusted drums.

i don't know about the whole backing off 5 turns, i'd try 2 and see if they rub.

i remember it by thinking of the cylinders as jars with lids, when i'm lying under looking up i imagine a jar and turn it like i'm taking the lid off to loosen the brakes and putting the lid on to tighten them. or maybe its the other way-its obvious after you done one.

Hey hammerhead, you say to move the adjusting tool away from the axle. But, are you prying the wheel adjuster in toward the axle when you do that? You know, levering the srewdriver on the edge of the little slotted opening? If so then your really turning the adjuster toward the axle. Right? or wrong?

yeah I know how your feel. Let see if I get it right. on the old drum axles with 2 cylinders.If you adjust away from the axle(front and rearwards) it should tighten, in towards the axle loosens. I had it figured out once........and I am prolly wrong
you are right, row away from axle to tighten

Hey hammerhead, you say to move the adjusting tool away from the axle. But, are you prying the wheel adjuster in toward the axle when you do that? You know, levering the srewdriver on the edge of the little slotted opening? If so then your really turning the adjuster toward the axle. Right? or wrong?
row away from the axle to tighten

well adjusted drum brakes rock. i almost slammed mums road car with 4 wheel discs and my 40 with front disks into a few cars after getting used to my 45 with well adjusted drums.

i don't know about the whole backing off 5 turns, i'd try 2 and see if they rub.
row away from axle to tighten

To expand the shoes, the toothed adjuster wheel on each piston needs to travel in a direction from the center of the wheel towards the rim. Don’t think about the direction the screwdriver handle travels in relation to the axle.....instead just think about the adjuster wheel moving out towards the rim to expand and stop the drum....move the teeth on the adjuster towards the center of the wheel to contract
the shoes and allow the drum to spin

Actually that didn’t work on mine....rowing away from the axel expanded the shoes ....I’ve bled my brake lines; new master cylinder; adjusted the rear drum brakes and still I gotta pump my brakes 3 times to come to a screeching halt....I guess I need to take it in ....hate to do it but can’t be running people over

Actually that didn’t work on mine....rowing away from the axel expanded the shoes ....I’ve bled my brake lines; new master cylinder; adjusted the rear drum brakes and still I gotta pump my brakes 3 times to come to a screeching halt....I guess I need to take it in ....hate to do it but can’t be running people over
Hey Erik, I'm curious if you ended up "taking it in" to have your problem solved?
Also, I wouldn't rule out a faulty master cylinder... I have had them fail right out of the gate before. And definitely Make sure make the new master was bench bleed properly. If not, their could still be air trapped inside the master.

Everytime I have my drums open and adjust my brake pads, I say to myself "Oh I don't need to draw a sketch of which way to trun those adjusting wheels, I'll remember." Well, I never remember! I've been having to pump the brakes once to get a firm braking action. So on Saturday I was going to reduce the brake pad clearance, but couldn't remember which way to turn the adjusting wheel with the screwdriver! ugh

I know I can lift the wheel up and adjust the pad, spin the wheel, feel for resistance etc etc. But can anyone just describe to me in detail which way to trun these adjusters with the screwdriver? For example, do you use the screwdriver to push the cogs on the adjuster toward the front of the vehicle? Are all the two on each wheel truned toward the front?

I'm going to plow into someone if I don't adjust these tonight, but removing the wheels and drum cover when the temperature is in the teens sucks. At least it's above zero unlike the last couple weeks!
My 79 40 has wheel cylinders adjustment on top for front and bottom for rear is this correct? It’s easier for me to picture, clock or counter clockwise, but I forget which way expands or which retracts!!!????anybody?

My 79 40 has wheel cylinders adjustment on top for front and bottom for rear is this correct? It’s easier for me to picture, clock or counter clockwise, but I forget which way expands or which retracts!!!????anybody?
Each rear drum has 2 wheel cylinders, one adjustment for each, top adjustment hole in front of the axle and bottom hole behind the axle. The book says you move the "handle" of the drum adjusting tool towards the outside of the drum to expand (tighten) the shoes, so the adjuster would be moving towards the axle shaft. But don't count on the adjustments being correct, on my 40 the PO put the wrong cylinders in and the drivers side rear cylinder adjusts backwards. Best bet is to pull off the drums and take a look, then adjust accordingly.

Each rear drum has 2 wheel cylinders, one adjustment for each, top adjustment hole in front of the axle and bottom hole behind the axle. The book says you move the "handle" of the drum adjusting tool towards the outside of the drum to expand (tighten) the shoes, so the adjuster would be moving towards the axle shaft. But don't count on the adjustments being correct, on my 40 the PO put the wrong cylinders in and the drivers side rear cylinder adjusts backwards. Best bet is to pull off the drums and take a look, then adjust accordingly.
Thanks Bimmer, I will try it, and if no luck, take the drums off and write it down for sure!
Also does anyone have a source for the 2 small o rings between caliper halves? SOR suggested I buy replacement caliper instead of 50 cent o ring!?
Thanks, Hondo

Thanks Bimmer, I will try it, and if no luck, take the drums off and write it down for sure!
Also does anyone have a source for the 2 small o rings between caliper halves? SOR suggested I buy replacement caliper instead of 50 cent o ring!?
Thanks, Hondo
Are they just normal O-Rings? Mcmaster-carr has tons of O-rings by size and type I would check there if you don't want to pick up new calipers.

Are they just normal O-Rings? Mcmaster-carr has tons of O-rings by size and type I would check there if you don't want to pick up new calipers.
I will try your source.Not sure how to describe but They are not normal spherical edged, they are flat! I have round in now appear to be holding, but still checking them to be sure.
GS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom