FJ40 4-link up front SOA in the rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been busy wrenching as of late. Got the passenger high steer arm on with a double ended ram, entered Michigan's Extreme Truck Challenge and had a blast. Came in 9th out of 12 competitors. Beat the living tar out of her, here is what I broke: driver side motor mount, bell housing on both sides where it mounts to frame, transfer case, tore link bar from frame, bent two rims really good, winch motor got fried, passenger seat is all messed up from spotter being laid back, a few scrapes and dings in the body but it is mostly bondo so who cares, and I know there were a few more things, but I can't think of them right now. Anyway this is all good, because now I can start over with the items I want in there. Pulled motor and transmission and transfer case, going to clean up frame repair tear from the link, and replace rear main seal on motor, mount a th350 and a np205 to it, I really dislike the manual, 4 link the rear, add rear air shocks and some other small items. I'm sure some think I'm a bit off, but seriously I had a blast. Should have her back by the 4th of July, I hope.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=Wt0bUgobay4

Last edited:
I know I am building this so I won't have to wrench on it, but all I am doing is wrenching on it, lol. Soon, very soon this will be where I want it and then I'll change it up, isn't this how the game is played? :flipoff2:
Anyway here is what is hopefully going to happen before the 4th of July or before Canada in early October: Having a th350 built to drop in, mated to a np203/np205 doubler, stretch the rear about 12" because of added length with addition of new drivetrain, this means 4-linking the rear, adding 2.0 fox air shocks to the rear as well.
I hope the doubler is in the budget, otherwise I'll just mate the np205 to the th350, and still stretch it with knowing that a double will be added at some point. Also looking for some 42" Iroks or Super Swampers after the previously mentioned upgrades, then hopefully an all aluminum 5.3 ls or lsx motor, '05 or newer. It'll take some time and $$, but it'll be ready for our Canada trip for sure!
Had her where I wanted her(first pic), then the dang light bulb went off, :idea: so I beat the heck out of her and this is where she is now (second pic). No worries she'll be up and running very soon!

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

Last edited:
Took her to Canada in July, went to the Mid-West Crawl event in August, and just got home the Loonie Run in Canada that was Oct.4th-6th. Only think I have to do is wash her, oh and I had to replace the starter. Here is a hill that no one has made yet, I was one of the few to go as far as I did. I'm the first one in the video. My motor needs to be swapped out for one with fuel injection, maybe a LS 5.3L would give me the power when i need it. Carburetors are not meant for climbing. But she did well considering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrJE7y0GWuk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom