FJ25 - Engine, Tranny & TC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Archie 1962 FJ25

Autocrat
Threads
Hey Guys,

As I have been searching for the solution for my stock tranny and tc for a while. All I am trying to do is to finish my rig as drive it everyday vehicle, and I mean virtually I want to drive it every day / every where. That's why I am trying to keep it's look as "STOCK" as possible with some morden modifications, like "power steering / tilt wheel, disc breaks, modern transmission etc. but I am not gonna change the overall looks of it, I love the way FJ25 Looks.

so here are the challanges:-

1) I need to replace the engine, I want to go for a stock F/2F engine but "MPG" is the biggest problem, since I drive more then 100 miles every day. so I am thinking of putting a diesel motor in that and I dont know which one as yet.

2) Stock Tranny is shiffting too noisy and gets stuck in neutral or slips back to neutral every now and then. it is very much repairable with almost no efforts and a very little cost, as my mech says it just need some adujestments and cleaning. But since I am planning to change the engine, I might as well go for more modern tranny and TC. so all the suggestions from you guys are welcome on this issue.

3) For power steering I am planning on Astro conversion. and on disc breaks conversion, I am still looking for a suitable solution because I want to keep stock axle's.

And yes jim/steve currently I am running CHEVY 250 inline six in that. performance wise motor is nice with resonable power and pick up. but because of that my rig sounds more like a hot rod racing car rather then sounding like an normal off road vehicle. "MPG" is again a very big question mark there.

Now I dont know yet how the PO made it run on my stock 4speed, but on this weekend I am gonna take some pics of that clubbing and will mail you to post it here in this forum. aa it is I dont understand any technicle thing in automotive. so I am totally depended on my mech.

I'd think the biggest thing you need to decide is if you're serious about the diesel. This will pretty much set what you can use for a tranny/transfer.

If you haven't found it already, look at Andre's page: http://cruisers.shoumatoffmedia.com/ It pretty much covers most of the known diesel conversions.

As far as the tranny goes, if you go diesel you will need a five speed.

The Cheby 250 will get better mileage when properly tuned than any of the Toyota 6s because it has a shorter stroke, making it turn easier. I've seen 250s that can make 20 mpg. 17 is really the best you can expect from a Toyota 6, and it will take a lot of tweaking to get there.

For a daily driver, the H41 [standard] 4 speed is the best thing around. The 15% O.D. of the 5 speed isn't worth the effort, and once you add in the length of the split case, you won't have JACK left for a rear driveshaft.

Hey Jim,

Thanks, for the info on diesel conversions. there is one interesting info / possibility of Mercedes OM617 5cl diesel conversion in FJ's. I dont know how it will work but all I know those engines are too good. I will ask my mech. about this possibility.

Also I need to find someone else to do this swap for me, coz my mech is asking too much for these kind of conversions. do let me know if you guys have any idea about the cost of swaps.

65swb45 said:
The Cheby 250 will get better mileage when properly tuned than any of the Toyota 6s because it has a shorter stroke, making it turn easier. I've seen 250s that can make 20 mpg. 17 is really the best you can expect from a Toyota 6, and it will take a lot of tweaking to get there.

For a daily driver, the H41 [standard] 4 speed is the best thing around. The 15% O.D. of the 5 speed isn't worth the effort, and once you add in the length of the split case, you won't have JACK left for a rear driveshaft.
\

mark dont you mean an H42 the usa 4speed..... i would think it woould drive better on the street then the lower 1st of the H41

Get the FJ62 motor/tranny/t-case that's in the classifields. That would be a cool swap in a 25. $1k is a steal.

2F vs 3FE, H42 vs A440F, etc. You got a deal assuming the motor doesn't need work.

rogersfj401969 said:
\

mark dont you mean an H42 the usa 4speed..... i would think it woould drive better on the street then the lower 1st of the H41

Yup. :eek: Asleep at the wheel again!

If, the Chevy 250 is in good condition, and installed well, and it's going to be driven on the street.....

Why not just look into a Muncie car tranny and Dana 20/300? Nobody wants that combo for offroad anymore so you might be able to pick one up cheap from a Jeeper. :D

And your tranny problem sounds similar to one I had. Turned out to be a loose piece in the shift tower. A real easy fix. Maybe that is what your mechanic means by "adjusting and cleaning". I would try that, and drive it for a while before changing anything. ;)

Somebody (myself perhaps) would want the old trans and transfer!....

Hey Guys,
Sorry I was out of town for some time and thats why couldn't participate in this discussion.

Ok, so back to the discussion, I found some one who can met fj60 4speed to fj25 single speed TC. now I want to know is it a good combination? and do you guys think fj25 TC is unique in terms of you can engage and disengage 4WD while driving? I dont know much about this but this is what I came to know after discussing with few mech's.

There is one very reputed transmission place near to my house and they are known for rebuilding old transmissions, and when I showed them my rig, and expressed the idea of changing the tranny & tc to a later version of fj40 or fj60, you guys won't believe the owner of that shop freeked out on me, stating that where do I get these kind of ideas? according to him fj25 tranny & tc is one of the best off road set up any one can have in their rigs. offcourse he say you won't be able to crowl on rocks but it is more then enough for a normal 4WD use. and specialy he thinks that single speed TC is totaly unique for that time. and he is insisting me keep the same set up or he said I can look for someone else to destroy the uniqueness.

I am really confused now...???

Archie-

I'm far from being the tech guru on transmissions and transfer cases for FJ25s like some of the other guys around here are.

Although the FJ60 4-spd is a more sophisticated tranny (smoother, syncho'd in all 4 gears), you'll be losing any low gearing that you'd have with the FJ25's inherently very low 1st gear (especially if you stay with the 25's non-low range single speed transfer case). In other words, you're going to end up with the worst of both worlds in the low gearing department with the combination you're considering.

BTW, virtually any transfer case will allow you to shift 'on the fly' from 2WD to 4WD (high range), whether it's on a FJ25, FJ40, FJ60 or a Chevy Tahoe. Low range 4x4 engagement and disengagement typically requires the vehicle to be stopped. (The FJ40 and 60's transfer cases are dual range units: High range and low range 4WD, in addition to 2WD high range.)

If you're going with a later model 4-spd (i.e., FJ60), I'd follow through with a dual range transfer case that matches it and will give you back the low gearing that you may need or want some day.

-Steve

Steve,

That was exactly what I was writing, I just took too long so I had to delete it. ;p

Archie,

I would listen to the "reputable" transmission shop. He is saying "leave it alone". The 25 is plenty capable in stock form ....... folks forget these things were wheeled like this before there were "big tires" and "gearing options".

Besides, it doesn't cost you anything to leave it alone a while and see how it works for you. Just remember 2-3-4 on the street and put in first for off road. :D

I love this picture of Foxfab in his 25:
flexy25.JPG

Cruiser_Nerd said:
That was exactly what I was writing, I just took too long so I had to delete it. ;p

I would listen to the "reputable" transmission shop. He is saying "leave it alone".

And, that's exactly what I forgot to mention in my post. There's a good reason why that mechanic is considered "reputable." He's throwing you some good advice.

That is a very cool pic of Mike!! :) :)

I'm still trying to figure the FJ60 4 speed-25 tcase combo and what THAT would entail!

Archie,

Since you've got a complete 25, I'd say leave it alone too. I understand you liking the look of a 25 and wanting some upgrades, but the 25 is rare and unique, and I think you'll really enjoy driving a legend just the way it was put together.

Maybe later you can do what I did for the up grades. I found a FJ25 body and put it on a FJ40 frame. It looks like a 25, but it's really a 40. Then you can do all of the mods you want and not feel guilty. Besides, everyone knows the more Land Cruisers you have the better.

Good advice, Junky. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. (You'll be fixing enough other stuff anyway, Archie.)

Land Cruiser Junky said:
Besides, everyone knows the more Land Cruisers you have the better.
Words to live by. :)

BTW, love your latest avatar!! :cheers: We got to get all of us going with grill shots. (Sorry, Eric . . . . I forgot somebody stole yours. :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom