FJ Steering Column Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well I'm still doing inventory on my 67 FJ45lwb but one item that MUST go is the G.M. steering column and assorted Booty Fab.

What do I need to put back in its place to get me close to stock??? I don't believe I'm going to find a stack of 45 columns at the scrap yard so will a FJ40 column be a good candidate???

As far as I know, the 40 series and 45 series are the same . Are you going stock manual, because the column is integrated into the steering box. If going power steering you'll need to modify the column anyway.

sorry, I should have given all the specifics. I already have Saginaw power steering and a 4 speed in the floor so I just want the column and steering wheel to be close to the stock location with a stock feeling wheel.

The GM column is jacked up too high and after looking at the installation I'm probably lucky it steers at all :p

pre 72 fj40 will fit but the early 1960s have a "u"bolt type mount to colum box and later years had 4 bolts.

I recently installed a 78 era column in 67 with saginaw used a pillow block brg form a tractor supply, on the engine side of the firewall wiring was a bitch, but with a couple of manuals it's not that hard, I was able to utilize all the column mounted controls in this truck.

Butch

Thanks Butch, that's kinda what I was wondering. I figured it would be simpler because the ignition switch is on the dash but I do need blinkers since nobody knows what hand signals are.

I kept trying to imagine how I'de mount it up then I looked at my FJ40 last night :slap: I'll be taking pictures today to give you guys something to laugh at (BOOTY FAB).

If you decide to do the newer swap, contact me direct at bakertire@netexas.net, and I'll give ya some help. I have a S10 tilt in my own, and have installed 2 more of these, not a bad option either.
Butch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom