FJ Rear Axle Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 07 FJ is in the shop for frame rust repair and undercoating and the recommendation is to replace the rear axle housing so the hunt is on for a reman or used axle. The suspension cross member supports are toast. With 92k miles this 6MT is a keeper once the rust situation is addressed. Any experience with this and advice is appreciated.

9D513DCA-530A-4CA7-89BA-653E27F82328.jpeg

DB287186-C295-4B2D-B091-D27E0F9FCEE3.jpeg

428ED2CA-7907-44C3-A54C-41CD60B32044.jpeg

Dear lord, where do you live? That is terrible.
I'm the second owner of my 2010, with the first owner (2010-2018) living right on the Oregon coast. There is zero rust.
Since buying mine, I coat the frame, axle and exposed fasteners with fluid film every fall.

A new housing is around 1200 from Toyota . I have one sitting in my garage but it has a bent shock mount .

Looking at your wheel weights, I'd find another shop to do your tire balancing. Weights on either side of a wheel are doing nothing good for you. It happens when the guy running the balancer can't get the rim plumb to the shaft. Sort of // instead of || ...

I would be concerned about everything else under the FJ. That is a lot of rust.

Looking at your wheel weights, I'd find another shop to do your tire balancing. Weights on either side of a wheel are doing nothing good for you. It happens when the guy running the balancer can't get the rim plumb to the shaft. Sort of // instead of || ...
Good info there, I had a service done by the local Toyota dealer very recently including tires rotate and balance. I will take a look at the other wheels.

I would be concerned about everything else under the FJ. That is a lot of rust.
For sure, the rear end has the worst of it by far so we are thinking that a full treatment with acid etching and bed liner application to the underbody and frame will hold off the rust for a handful of years.

A new housing is around 1200 from Toyota . I have one sitting in my garage but it has a bent shock mount .
Good info - I am waiting to hear from the body shop this morning on what he could find for a housing but it helps to have a baseline in case he comes up with some astronomical price (which won't be too surprising).

Well - that axle end of the panhard mount is ready to bust off, I'd be worried when it does you may have issues keeping that street level look intact.

WHat is going to eat you up is shipping. I would try to find one down here in the south

She does look good otherwise. Crazy.

The 'Bling Plate' looks a little silly with the nice bumper but I digress.

She does look good otherwise. Crazy.

The 'Bling Plate' looks a little silly with the nice bumper but I digress.
Agreed, I put the skid plate back on the other day to have a look at modifying the brackets for a closer fit to the bumper.

I'm in CT and my 07 does not have that much rust. Maybe the PO used to drive on the National Seashore in Cape Cod and all the salt water added to the salt on the roads.

Nice looking truck otherwise.

Check out Yankee Toys

We are also in the clubhouse section of mud

Looks good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom