Fj Mpg (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im at 7600 miles, and get 13-16 MPG city/highway.
CRAP.

MT 6 speed, 285 BFG Muds, roofrack with 4 KC Daylighters mounted.

isuras2 said:
What do you guys get for real time gas mileage in the FJ? By real time I mean not EPA estimates.

With manual tranny, & burning Exxon 93 octane, I get 20.5mpg with air & driving 80mph. This is only on long trips of 2 hour continuous driving. My daily driving is usually less than 1 hour at a time, & I average 18.8mpg at 80mph.

another tank, another 225 miles...(ok there is a 4.6% error 'cuz of the 285's)

Ok, I got 11.5 mpg! Do I need driving lessons??? That was combined highway and city driving.

FJMouse said:
Ok, I got 11.5 mpg! Do I need driving lessons??? That was combined highway and city driving.

Maybe? ;)

AT and I get 18+ around town and 20+ on the highway.

Nautidog said:
Maybe? ;)

AT and I get 18+ around town and 20+ on the highway.

HEHEHE oops, calculation was wrong. There was still 5 gallons in the tank when I filled him up! I got 15mpg. That was my first tank of gas and I hope that it gets better. I am sure I wasted a lot of gas at first learning to drive the FJ Manual. It is much different than my Jeep. :whoops:

136 miles on the new beast.
AT, roofrack, no lift, stock tires.

Filled up this morning and got 17.64 MPG with city/freeway driving.

I think the dealer used 87 octane too which might lower MPG.
I filled it backup with 91 octane.

MPG with a manual can also depend on how well you shift your trans........ There are 'optimum' gas mileage shifts. Some vehicles actually came with an idiot light back in the late 80's that blinked when to shift for best gas mileage :D

TexasBadlands said:
MPG with a manual can also depend on how well you shift your trans........ There are 'optimum' gas mileage shifts. Some vehicles actually came with an idiot light back in the late 80's that blinked when to shift for best gas mileage :D

My 87 Renault GTA had the idiot shifter. Ofcourse i never followed it and come to think of it the speedo stopped working just after i bought it. I miss that little car, it was a little rocket.

I haven't been tracking all of them, but my last one I got 19.8 mpg. I think I got about 280 miles out of a tank. It was less than 1/4 of a tank and no light.

The driving was a mix of highway and city and a tad of 4wd.

SATXChelus said:
I haven't been tracking all of them, but my last one I got 19.8 mpg. I think I got about 280 miles out of a tank. It was less than 1/4 of a tank and no light.

The driving was a mix of highway and city and a tad of 4wd.

My last tank was 14.5 mpg, with 295 tires, hilly city driving.:eek:

15.3, highway, 70/75 mph 6th gear except on a couple of long, steep hills. Dealer says @ 3500 miles its still in the break-in period and the computer is still learning. Makes me think I've been driving it to easy...

So much better than my FJ80 that I don't really care. :)

About 1800 miles on an AT w/ roof rack, stock lift and tires; 18-19 around town and 20 mpg on my only highway trip so far.

My idiot light seems to come on awfully early - I can drive for 30+ miles after it comes on at about 290 miles and still only get 16 gal in when I do fill up. Anyone else notice this? I'm going to carry a gas can and run the thing dry one of these days to see how far it will go and how close to 19 gal it will take.

1911 said:
So much better than my FJ80 that I don't really care. :)

About 1800 miles on an AT w/ roof rack, stock lift and tires; 18-19 around town and 20 mpg on my only highway trip so far.

My idiot light seems to come on awfully early - I can drive for 30+ miles after it comes on at about 290 miles and still only get 16 gal in when I do fill up. Anyone else notice this? I'm going to carry a gas can and run the thing dry one of these days to see how far it will go and how close to 19 gal it will take.
Yeah, the idiot lite does seem to come on early, for me att about 220 miles - like with 4 gallons left.

Not a great idea to suck the bottom of the tank tho...

Blues Dawg said:
Yeah, the idiot lite does seem to come on early, for me att about 220 miles - like with 4 gallons left.

Update: yesterday, I drove mine for 50 miles after the idiot light came on, and got 18 gals in on fill-up. 340 miles total on the previous tank.

Blues Dawg said:
Not a great idea to suck the bottom of the tank tho...

Are these 4Runner motors known to have issues in that regard? I've never had a problem running any other Toyota EFI engines dry and refilling/restarting.

Don't know about how good it is but when these things run out of gas you don't get any advance notce the engine just stops. I've had no problem starting up after running dry. I did this twice trying to find out how big the bottom of the tank was, started no problem after adding gas. From my testing 50 km - 30 miles is a safe number to use:beer:

1911 said:
Are these 4Runner motors known to have issues in that regard? I've never had a problem running any other Toyota EFI engines dry and refilling/restarting.

My impression is that one reason you don't want to run it until empty, is due to the accumulation of crud that could settle in the tank.

On diesel vehicles, it is a royal pain to resart after running out of fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom