FJ Cruiser vs. the 100 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Check out the 100 series forum! Someone asked the FJC vs. 100 question......

I was shopping Hundys in 2006. Gas prices were really high and the V8 scared me off.
I traded a really low mileage 4 cyl ext cab Taco for the FJC. Big mistake.

Oh, and ones a real Land Cruiser the other one aint.:)

I was shopping Hundys in 2006. Gas prices were really high and the V8 scared me off.
I traded a really low mileage 4 cyl ext cab Taco for the FJC. Big mistake.

Oh, and one's a real Land Cruiser the other one ain't.:)

Even as a happy FJC owner I have to completely agree with that statement. My friend who recently had his 80-Series totaled started looking at FJCs as a possible replacement and I put a end to that pretty quickly. No way was he going to be happy with an FJ Cruiser and his wife, daughter, and several big dogs... He's looking at Hundy's now.

I currently own a 2011 FJ Cruiser, purchased on Fleabay a few months ago from a desperate seller who had put in over $10,000 in mods. Way back in 2000 I had leased my wife a 100 series new, back in the day of cheap leases, did a 24 month lease and had so much equity in it we sold it for a nice profit at the end of the lease. It was the best vehicle I've ever owned, in hindsight wish I would have kept it rather than flipped it. So, as someone who as owned both, I would say the Hund is the better vehicle in all areas acccept off road. I never wheeled my Hun, as it wasnt set up with right tread, etc. Back then I needed more space for a growing family and road trips, but now the FJ suits my needs even better. I think both vehilcles are well made, but if you have to use the rear seats in an FJ, you will be dissappointed with the fucntionality. From a fuel use standpoint, My FJ doesnt do any better than my 100, but most of that is attributed to teh 3" OME lift, 35" A/T Tires, and several hundred pounds of body armour, armoured bumper, and winch. Can't go wrong with either vehicle, in my opinion.

with the same mods the FJ is nicer on road, and off road, fuel aprox same, and when loaded vision is similar.

I have a 1999 Cruiser 105 series (SFA) 4500 straight 6, as well as the 4000 V6 FJC
the fuel consumption of the FJ has impressed me immensely I normally drive the FJ at 130-140KPH (GPS speed) and my fuel consumption is averaging 11.5 L /100km
Whereas the 105 series at the same speed will swallow 18.5L /100km

But, "if you're worried about fuel consumption dont buy a Cruiser"

Of course, we are free to call the FJ Cruiser what we like.

Toyota calls the GSJ15 a Land Cruiser.

The GSJ15 is more fun and safer. Our old 80(like the early 100) was more 'practical' with 4 regular doors, but didn't have the safety features like standard curtain and seat mounted side airbags that our FJC has. I know that such stuff doesn't matter to some of the true off road drivers, but we spend over 95%of our miles on public roads(including getting to and from some of the places we choose to off road). We have also been t-boned by drunks running red lights. The FJC has excellent side crash test scores, see IIHS.

There are just the two of us and the occasional Cairn so the extra doors are not a priority. Check out fjcruiserforums.com and see what the folks think of and do with the 'evolution of the FJ40'(Toyota's words not mine) that can cruise at 80 on the Interstate.

with the same mods the FJ is nicer on road, and off road, fuel aprox same, and when loaded vision is similar.

I disagree that a comparable FJ and 100 series well modded are equally comfortable on road and on the visibility.
Coming from having a highly modified FJC to now driving a modified 100, the 100 is far more comfortable on road. The same bumps on my daily commute i barely even notice in the 100 where i dreaded the jolt in the FJC.
As for visibility, even if you were to run dual tire carrier rear bumper on the back of a 100, you could still be able to see out of the back of it far easier than you can out of the back of the FJ.
I think they are pretty evenly matched offroad for a mild build. You can build up the FJC a lot more and cheaper than the 100. Both are effectively limited to a 35" tire with out major modifications.
Once heavily modded, they both get about 15-17mpg.

I love the low tech nature of the FJC. Plus it is unique. I loved the LC/LX for its quality. I would buy another 100 series in a minute if I could find another one in good shape here in Maui.

I love the low tech nature of the FJC.

Seriously? I like mine, but I have never owned a vehicle with more ECM's, ECU's, electronic gizmos, and such a giant wiring harness. IMO many of the systems are way overcomplicated. For example, we have the ADD system to engage the front axles (on auto tranny FJC's) that has an electric motor, an electric sensing switch on the transfer case (both prone to failure), a vent, a wiring harness, and an ECU. All to save us from having to get out of the truck and turn locking hubs 1/3 of a turn.

Where does Toyota classify it as part of the Land Cruiser family?

Like I said, we don't have to agree. I'm choosing to go with what the manufacturer of Land Cruisers says rather than what I think it should logically be called. Toyota have the right to use/change whatever nominclature they want. It is their product, not mine or anyone else's. Please read Toyota's journals for the introduction of the FJ Cruiser. For example, Fall 2006, Issue 2 and Fall 2007, Issue 4..."In the summer of 1951, the first Toyota Land Cruiser...more than 50 years later, and over four million Land Cruisers sold worldwide, a new FJ steps up, fit to carry the torch, and worthy to keep Toyota's committed, and passionate off-road legacy."

In MY OPINION this is like comparing Duramax to Cummings. People will always side with what they deem best. That being said, I love my FJC to the end of the world and back.... but a true LC could go to the end of the world and back 10x. LC's are simply beefier than the FJC.

Lets get this back on topic and not continue the debate whether the FJC is entitled to the moniker of "Landcruiser". That can be a topic in a different discussion.

I went through that when I bought mine in 4/06 and suffered the prejudice/negativity of all the FJC haters making sure I understood that I don't own a Landcruiser. I didn't give a crap, I just wanted to wheel the piss out of it and wondered why so many wanted me to understand that it isn't a Landcruiser.

Carry on with the topic of discussion, if possible...

I bought an FJ Cruiser in 2011 kind of hoping I could replace my FJ62. I still have my FJ62.

Do I really have to say anything else?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom