FJ Cruiser vs. the 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I owned two fj'a. An 07 and a 2010. I intended to keep the 10 forever. Loved the thing more than anything. I the totaled it and I now drive a diesel 60.

This is a pretty old thread but I find it of interest since I own a fairly well built up '08 FJC that I've owned for the last 80K miles with it just passing 10K and I'm contemplating something a bit bigger. Possibly a 100, GX470 or 4Runner. We are also considering a Toyota truck like my Tundra or a Tacoma with some sort of camper.

My wife and I have wheeled the FJC locally on the tight tree lined muddy trails in New Hampshire and in the southwest desert and Moab. It has excelled at both and without bragging, I'll say I have taken it anywhere I have or would have taken my FJ40 on 33's with the only limitation being body damage concerns. Honestly, I prefer the FJC over the 40 (blasphemy) in most situations. It has worked well and we've never had a mechanical problem. I've camped and slept in it solo (I removed the back seats).

So now we are at the point in our lives that my wife is retiring within 3 years and wants to tour the country. Our idea of a tour doesn't include a Winnebago, however, it also doesn't include living in a tent 24/7. We want to be able to camp out and haul all that stuff you need to do that and still be able to hole up for a week or more here and there in a motel or rental of some kind and go exploring from that base.

This is a pretty old thread but I find it of interest since I own a fairly well built up '08 FJC that I've owned for the last 80K miles with it just passing 10K and I'm contemplating something a bit bigger. Possibly a 100, GX470 or 4Runner. We are also considering a Toyota truck like my Tundra or a Tacoma with some sort of camper.

My wife and I have wheeled the FJC locally on the tight tree lined muddy trails in New Hampshire and in the southwest desert and Moab. It has excelled at both and without bragging, I'll say I have taken it anywhere I have or would have taken my FJ40 on 33's with the only limitation being body damage concerns. Honestly, I prefer the FJC over the 40 (blasphemy) in most situations. It has worked well and we've never had a mechanical problem. I've camped and slept in it solo (I removed the back seats).

So now we are at the point in our lives that my wife is retiring within 3 years and wants to tour the country. Our idea of a tour doesn't include a Winnebago, however, it also doesn't include living in a tent 24/7. We want to be able to camp out and haul all that stuff you need to do that and still be able to hole up for a week or more here and there in a motel or rental of some kind and go exploring from that base.

I've slept in the back of my 100 series before it's pretty comfortable

LCCRUISER,

Did you end up getting a 100? My situation is very similar to yours, plus, the three kids no longer fit in the back (500 mile trip confirmed this), so I have come to the painful conclusion that I am selling my beloved fj and buy a 100.

I was looking at both before I made my decision a few years ago. The visibility with that FJC sucked. To me, it seemed more mini-truck than land cruiser. So went with a hundy. I dig it, except for the mpg.

If I had to buy new (to me) vehicle, it would be a hard decision between (used) late earlyl 200, '06-'07 hundy and 4Runner TRD Pro.

I sleep in the back of my 100 ALL THE TIME. I recently got an Exped Megamat 10 on sale it is really a mattress. Total bliss

I recently pulled a long trip to the black rock dsert (not burning man). It was about 550 miles each way. Did it straight through with four adults and a ton of $hit. It rocked. The passengers where duly impressed with the comfort on and of road (I have some bucks into the suspension) There were only one grades that the 10 struggle, long steep climb, at attitude.

LCCRUISER,

Did you end up getting a 100? My situation is very similar to yours, plus, the three kids no longer fit in the back (500 mile trip confirmed this), so I have come to the painful conclusion that I am selling my beloved fj and buy a 100.

No, I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying something to replace the FJC. However, I'm in the process of freshening it up to sell. It's just a matter of time until its gone once the weather improves so I can work on it outdoors. It'll be a sad day when the taillights leave the driveway. I've never owned anything as long as this FJC, 6 years now. I've put 80K on it with a lot of that offroad and its been a great vehicle.

No, I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying something to replace the FJC. However, I'm in the process of freshening it up to sell. It's just a matter of time until its gone once the weather improves so I can work on it outdoors. It'll be a sad day when the taillights leave the driveway. I've never owned anything as long as this FJC, 6 years now. I've put 80K on it with a lot of that offroad and its been a great vehicle.

Save up the extra scratch and buy the lowest cost 200 series you can find. You will thank yourself for it later.
All of the benefits of the hundred series with many of the pitfalls corrected. Aftermarket support is growing by leaps and bounds every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom