FJ Cruiser Rear Lower Link install w/pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Since I was doing this mod, some asked for some pics of the process. It is very simple, a 1.5 out of 5 on the difficulty scale. Found a couple tricks that others mentioned which worked well. Obviously, I blocked the front wheels, jacked up the truck, put jack stands under the rear axle and pulled off both rear wheels, all making for much easier access.

Do one side at a time, used LocTite on everything and torqued the bolts to 55lbs to not crush the bushings per instructions, 19mm sockets for link nut/bolts, 12mm for e-brake mounts...

Weighed the new All-Pro Extreme links as compared to the stock...stock weigh 5 lbs, new weight 11.5.

Some pics of the stock set up for comparison...

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Trick - use a tie strap to secure the rear end BEFORE removing the stock link. This makes putting in the new link WAY easier. Just wrapped it around the slider, attached it to the rear lower shock mount and put some tension on it before dropping the stock link, the new ones slide in without issue...

IMG_0568.jpg

Old (stock) VS New...

IMG_0563.jpg

The stock e-brake mount, not the alignment and clear rubbing where mud is being rubbed off...

IMG_0560.jpg

The tab has to be bent straight for these new links...

IMG_0571.jpg

Like this, and so does the "barrel"...

IMG_0569.jpg

I just used some channel lock pliers to "massage it" into the best alignment...

IMG_0570.jpg

Now, things look to be lined up nice and straight...

IMG_0574.jpg

The new set up...looks strong and trail ready...

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

Just gives some piece of mind knowing how much harder it will be to damage these on the trail...

IMG_0575.jpg

Nice write up. Must have been a day to work on FJ's, I put seat covers and Bud built sliders on this morning.

Wanted to go wheel'n but had to take the kids to soccer games, it was my turn. So I took the hour or so to put this on and take some pics while doing it.

Which way did you turn the zerks? Couldn't tell from the pics. IOW which end will you drop to grease them?
Great pics. It's not the way I went at it (Hi-Lift on the rock slider). I had to pull the axle in the other direction with a come-along, I guess because one tire was still grounded. Plus my forward brackets are WAY banged up. I still have to work on the RH one before I'll get that slider on.
Did they send you those huge decals? I was expecting the little ones to put on the sliders and tubes but they sent some about 5x12. Go figger, they sent little ones with the rock sliders.
b

I put the zerks facing up/rearward. Can get the rear through the hole on the mount, the front might be accessible with a 90 degree fitting.

Yes, they did send the HUGE stickers. I wouldn't mind putting a sticker on but those things are silly big.

Fortunately when I bought my rock sliders they sent four of the little ones so I get to advertise for them on the links anyway.
I'll need to do some major surgery or at least banging and prying to get the little control arm slider on my RHS.
You can see the stock one got considerable abuse.
I'm pretty sure I trailed a good bit after it bent. I even think I did that obstacle that produced my current avatar pic. When I got off the trails at the end of the day I found it bent up about 4-6 inches. It was broken half through by then. By the time I drove home it had worked enough to finish breaking, only the E-brake bracket held it together. If it hadn't been for that I'd probably have caused further mayhem underneath.
b
Linkcloseup.jpg
Linkfullsize.jpg

Yes, I do believe Bill, that would be defined as "abuse", or at least "all used up". Don't know if these things are bomb proof but I'm hoping I can NOT do the same to these All-Pro units...

Plus I don't think this sport is used to that right pedal being used as much as Bill likes to use it :)

You all thought I was bad!

Well, you all suck. :) :flipoff2: Mine are on order. I don't know that they'll make it in before GSMTR, but we'll see.

Heck, we can put em in AT GSMTR! :)

are those links the same as the 80's links?

I am seriously considering welding a "v" shaped angle iron onto my arms as extra support. There is a guy on the 80 board that did that. jfz80 has already bowed one of his lower links.

I don't think so Alex. I am sure the 80's links are much stouter than for the FJ Cruiser just based on the weight of the vehicle. I am also perty shure that yours are longer than ours. He he he he

I am also perty shure that yours are longer than ours. He he he he

Thanks Heather, i just got a warm fuzzy :D

You will be surprised. THe earlier model 80's like alky's has MUCH beefier links than the latter 80s. Don't know why Mr. T decided to skimp down.

Six Sigma :)

They found a way to reduce the materials costs without impacting their tolerances...makes them more money. Toyota will do things to save .05% for goodness sake.

Just get Slee arms and go beat on em!

Thanks Heather, i just got a warm fuzzy

I aim to please! I'll have to crawl under Logan's 80 sometime and have a looky. I am interested to see what the difference would be.

Plus I don't think this sport is used to that right pedal being used as much as Bill likes to use it :)

You all thought I was bad!

I just hit it at jeep speed.
After all I was following a jeep and a hummer. I should have been half-stepping?

Hitting anything offroad that hard is saying something....

"Please break me!"

Not really. I don't even know where it happened but there was no speed involved for sure, just a case of drop and drag. That control arm is a known weak link and a breakage just waiting to happen. I never was out of low first that day in the hard stuff.

Mr T can't make everything stock to take the trailing we do, I'm sure we're a tiny fraction of the FJC owners. They made the important, expensive stuff pretty hardy, we upgrade the rest, otherwise the trucks would cost twice as much for stuff hardly any of the owners use. Hence the small but vital aftermarket scene.
If I'd had any idea this stuff was so much fun I would have started off with an automatic tranny. Then I could control the crawl with the left foot braking. As it was I expected some mild off-roading and went with the M6 to get AWD in street conditions. That gives you the awesome Torsten center diff in AWD mode. Little did I know I would be so swept away with the thrill of off-roading. As it is you have to hit it a little harder sometimes or just burn the clutch, which I did a bit of in Heartbreaker.
Gotta do what you can with what you've got. I really didn't hit anything that fast or hard, just hit it in the most vulnerable place in just the wrong way. Those links were doomed from jump street, it just finally got here. I'm not intentionally hurting Bonnie. When I can go around I do. I didn't even go up on the Pipe Garden.
But I'm gonna do what it takes if it's an obtacle I should be able to handle.
It was just the right time.
It's not a breakage, it's an upgrade opportunity.

I certainly wasn't hammering it the way I saw some not-to-be-named 80 drivers at Schoolbus Tellico and Kodak Uwharrie. Or even a certain red on silver FJC at Tellico in some videos I saw once heh heh heh.
b

I remembered this thread when I met with the Fla crowd to ride Capt Jim's driveway Saturday. I arrived in the middle of a three hour mountain storm. When Jim and Mike and Bill hit the trail they were going more sideways then forward and bouncing off trees. I left Bonnie at the house and rode with Mike. There were I believe 8 cable pulls among the three trucks in about 1500 yards maybe.
I didn't feel obligated to incur body damage just to prove that an FJC can do what a built 40 can do on a slick wooded trail.
I must admit it was quite a temptation. I may not have been able to resist if I hadn't had this thread.
b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom