FJ cruiser intermittent starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2014 FJ 4wd auto. Recently it has developed an intermittent starting problem. Occasionally, maybe once a week it will crank over but not start.

I’ve tried both my keys when this happens and it makes no difference, so I have ruled out a key fob issue. The problem also happens whether it is in Park or neutral so I don’t think it is the gear position sensor.

If I leave it for a minute or two sometimes it starts again. Other times I come back in an hour or so and it will start. The vehicle runs perfectly once it’s going and it is not showing any warning lights on the dash.

I’m wondering if anybody has had a similar problem, which I can use as a starting point when trying to diagnose. I’m thinking it could either be fuel pump, crank sensor, fuel filter, or any number of other things.

The issue started a few months ago and has got progressively more frequent. I’m supercharged and running a non-standard fuel pump by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Even though you have obviously modified the motor and no illuminated check engine, it might help to check the OBD for fault codes with a scan tool.

Almost sounds like vapor lock.

Have you checked to see if you are getting spark during no start times?

Last edited:
check the battery terminals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom