fj 80 help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I am new here and new to the fj world. I bought my 80 in October of 2007 and after some money to get to pass smog I parked it. Gas was just do dang expensive to drive it. The other day my other Toyota died on me so I have to drive the 80. My problem is since I bought it there is a vibration when going between 35-75mph. At 35 you dont really notice it that much but above 65 you can feel and hear it. I have been driving it now for two weeks straight and noticed a leak from the back of the xfer case where the rear dive shaft bolts up. In a 24 hour period it will leave a good size puddle. I am not new to wrenching on a toyota as I have a 87 4 runner and a 83 Hilux. I will be buying a paper fsm tomorrow for the fj. I was wondering how hard it is to do a rebuild on the xfer case?

thanks
Heath

I'm not sure about the rebuild on the xfer case, but your vibration sounds like what I had with bad u-joints. Replaced them and the vibes went away. :) Good luck.

thanks for the response. I have replaced the u-joints and the front bearings. I did notice that my front driveshaft was in phase so I am going to change that. I am worried about the leaking seal on the xfer case though...

Heath

The vibration from your drive shafts can cause the seals to start leaking...prolly doesn't need to be rebuilt. Fix the vibration and then the seal and you should be good from there on out....hopefully!

When I bought this thing in october of 2007 I had to drive it 3 hours home. This is when I first noticed the vibration so I replaced the u-joints. There is no slop in my drive shaft at all.

Thanks
Heath

I just noticed 3 posts... Bienvenido!!! = Welcome!!!! :flipoff2:

X3 on the u-joints. Post pictures of that truck!
:bounce:

When I bought this thing in october of 2007 I had to drive it 3 hours home. This is when I first noticed the vibration so I replaced the u-joints. There is no slop in my drive shaft at all.

Thanks
Heath
If you have already replaced the u-joints I doubt that's the prob at this point.

You need to isolate where the vibe is coming from so you should try a couple of things.....

When the vibration gets bad let off the gas and then get back on it and see if the vibe changes.

Also try putting it in neutral when the vibration gets really bad and see if that changes it.

If the vibe stays the same then the prob is prolly in the tires or wheels.

It's rare but you could have lost a balancing wieght off your drive shaft.

Also if this 80 has been wheeled your drive shaft may have got'n on a rock and bent or dented it so look for that too.

If this 80 has a lift on it then you could have bad drive line angles and that could be your prob.

Last edited:
Again, depending on where you have isolated the vibration coming from. What I can add is that when I bought my 80, the front end would vibrate through the steering wheel @ speeds over about 40mph, just needed to rebalance the tires and vibration was done for. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom