FJ 60 rear disk e-brake set up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I am in the process if putting in rear disk brakes. Has anyone figured out how to make the e-brake work?

I have the calipers that have the e-brake feature. Thanks

Justin Ward is your expert here........

mike, trust me, that was a tongue in cheek response.
but i'm definitely getting more familiar, and it is a giant p.i.t.a.
i have actually jacked the brake mechanism up so high that it lifted the tuck, re-set the brake lines so that they engage with way more tightness, and still have no real discernible braking from the e-brake. while it has gotten harder to push on flat ground, i can still push it, and on an incline, it rolls as though there is no brake engaged at all. next step is to take everything down to the calipers, and see if the pads are glazed, or whether the caliper piston is pushing out all the way, or what.
if i could, i'd go back to drums, but it's done, so i'll keep working on it until it works.
are they the caddy brakes? if so, pm me, and i'll tell you some of what i've learned, but, the bottom line is... it's very finicky, and absolutely not an easy endeavor.

I have worked on 3 trucks with this setup, at least 9 hrs of non billable labor ... have never got a decent e brake on any, my thinking- on the OEM app, the brake cables pull forward and have a huge return spring between the lever and the pivot bracket (at each caliper) this lets you adjust them much tighter, and once adjusted it stays in adjustment since this is how the caliper adjusts itself, is from the long arc of working the lever.
Also on Caddy's it uses a floor mounted pushed with your leg actuator, and it has more throw than the Land Cruiser on those cars you cna get the e brake to lock up the wheels.......

that's more or less what i've read. i've been thinking about how to adapt it to work, but i haven't come up with any real functional idea, yet. meantime, i'll go through the brakes and pads, see if everything there is copacetic, then try again to adjust the cables tighter, though i have no idea ho that could even really be possible..., maybe a come along??? other than that, i'm not enjoying it. if it's such a pain, and it is, then i don't understand why people keep doing it? but, onward, and upward.

rear disk e-brake

Thanks. I can see how the stock setup willnot work due to the angles of the breake cable. I know somone has figured it out as a friend had the same setup and he had a working e-brake. He can't remember what he did but remembers it was a easy fix.

I would have thought somone would have figured it out by now.

i have been thinking of doing the same but with throwing a line lock in the system....

i dont know if it has to be a mechanical brake or not for state inspection... im sure we have a book and i could look it up... but that was my thoughts. stomp on the brake flip a switch and bam done.

don't know about for state inspection, but a line lock only doesn't pass inspection at events, at least, last i heard it didn't. if you find out, let me know.

don't know about for state inspection, but a line lock only doesn't pass inspection at events, at least, last i heard it didn't. if you find out, let me know.

yea didnt think about events. will still look into it for you, myself and others tho.

Tx state insp requires Mech e brake

an, there you have it. that's what i thought, but didn't know for sure.
thus, the giant pain in the ... that is a disc brake conversion. safer in every way, but one. :)

rear disk e-brake

I found the solution. There is a transfer case disk brake.

FJ 60 Land Cruiser Information

I will post how it comes out.

rear disk brake e-brake

I ordered the t-case disk brake kit. Hopefully it works. I will let you know. I wish I had'nt started on this project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom