FJ 60 power steering questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudders,

A few questions about the FJ60 Power Steering Upgrade.

The truck: A low millage stock 1978 FJ40, 33-9.50 BFG's. It was stolen/wrecked/stripped in its previous life and put back together with a drum brake front end...

Leaning towards the FJ60 Power steering box (mounted directly to the frame with sleeves and a boxing plate). Will follow the column to box formula outlined by Mark W. in the TT article. And hope to simply clearance the factory shock tower and move the rad support over a bit... Would like it to look as if Mr t built it that way when finished.

My question revolves around the steering knuckles. I have all the disk components (knuckles out) from a 78 FJ40 front axle, and easy access to knuckles out on an FJ60 front axle. If I use the FJ40 small pattern knuckle I have a factory tie rod and need to figure out the drag link? The FJ60 stuff can use BJ70 tie rod and drag link... Open to any and all opinions on the best way to proceed. Keep in mind the intended use of the truck is to be a very light duty weekend toy and summertime top dowm commuter. No tough wheeling whatsoever.

contact grant5127 on this board for alot of info on the swap.

Whatever the intended use of the rig, I'd use large pattern knuckles and 70 series arms and rods. No messing with trying to match tapers, and chopping and joining rods..

What he said.

x3, that is almost exactly what I did. I had to mix a TRE from a 60 in with the 70 series stuff just because of parts availibility in this region.

x3, that is almost exactly what I did. I had to mix a TRE from a 60 in with the 70 series stuff just because of parts availibility in this region.

Which one? The one where the steering damper mounts? If so, did you have to change the length of the drag link to make that work?

Would love the exact parts use formula and 70 Series stuff part numbers if anybody has it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom