FJ 60/62 Truck Security Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning to park my truck at a trailhead for a couple days of backpacking this summer and would like it to be there when I get back...

I recently saw how easily a locksmith can make a key from scratch. (Just getting in a locked truck pretty easy I understand). I asked him about club type devices and he laughed...

Has any / many of you figured out any slick shut-off devices or??

Any ideas appreciated.

I always thought removing the rotor was a good trick. Quick and easy, carry it with you (don't lose it). They'll get give up quick when the truck won't start. You could always take the battery instead...

As a backup to the rotor, I like the idea of a window sticker that reads, "This truck protected by Smith & Wesson". Bet that makes the thieves real nervous!

one idea i have had is to plum in a plug between the wireing harness that i can remove when i want to leave my rig unattended for more than a couple hours. this would make it so that nothing has power and the thief would have to basically rewire your rig. another idea is have a plug under te hood that when connected shorts the ignition system when pluged. everything looks normal to them but you know that plug needs to be unpluged. other than that the usiual kill switches, fuel cutoffs, and removal of parts.

wheel lock like the city uses (extreme)

do a search for Kill Switch on here

starting

This is the only time I appreciated the hard starting of my FJ60. A few years ago, someone tried to steal it. They found my spare keys but could not start it. Maybe it had to do with no newer vehicles have a choke cable any more or maybe it was the "pump the gas pedal three times" starting procedure. All I know know is the key was in the ignition and a couple of my cds were stolen. Gotta love old school.

I have one of those steering wheel lock things that wont let them steer your rig...plus dark tinted windows on sides and rear. Other than that pulling the rotor button is an option. I would put in plastic bag and hide it somewhere rather than carrying it with me though...to prevent loss.

I am also counting on it sitting for a bit and nobody knowing how to use a manual choke these days.....though I dont need to use it as much since the desmog. LOL

Most of what's mentioned here will deter the average car thief...from taking your car.

Breaking in, destroying the interior and removing anything valuable?
Nothings going to stop them.

Being and old school style rig, they're tin cans and relatively easy to pop open.

I though once about using the 3m (or similar brand) film. The hurricane film. I have it on my windows at home. Resists tearing when hit.
The problem is, repeated hits in the same location, will rip right through it:lol:
Or you just pull the damend window off the track;)

The doors are a piece of cake. Any 1st year car thief can get inside:lol:

1. get your backpacking partner to drive instead.
2. If you search you will find a device that locks the shifter in first gear (for some reason I think Kevinmrowland might show one in is ROTW/ROTM thread) https://forum.ih8mud.com/2959302-post15.html
3. disconnecting or removing the coil wire is easier than removing the distributor rotor, but also easier to replace. I have been stumped why my truck won't start only to find the coil wire is disconnected at the distributor and I couldn't see because of the rubber water shield was installed.

You can interrupt power to the carb solenoid. (Green wire going to the carb on a '60) with a switch, the wire goes to the computer, and hide the switch.

Buy a steering wheel lock from http://simjack.com:8185/ it wont allow bolt cutters to cut the steering wheel
They also have the shift lock.

On my lock truck all the door have electric deadbolts I installed on them. There is no way a door is getting opened. Similarly you could buy and install these on your doors. http://www.americanlock.com/solid_body_padlocks/solid_steel/hidden_shackle_padlocks.jsp You see them on work tucks in populated areas.

Mark

You can interrupt power to the carb solenoid. (Green wire going to the carb on a '60) with a switch, the wire goes to the computer, and hide the switch.

yeah. just unplugging the solenoid and hiding the plug end might do the trick. If the thieves don't know these trucks they may not notice anything not connected.

Browser Warning

This is a little complex but very tricky. I think it is pretty old. So maybe someone makes one you could buy by now.

John

Not sure what the browser warning thing is all about but the website is "autospeed.com/A_107975/cms/article.html"

i have a kill switch attatched as part of my alarm system. i never worry about my truck getting stolen. for piece of mind, it's the best money you will ever spend.

Fuse

Can't we just pull the fuse to the ignition and carry that with us? A little lighter than a battery and not as bulky as a rotor. Of course you could always remove the lead cable from the battery as well. (I would pull a fuse)

thanks / fj62 security ideas

Thanks for the great low tech ideas (removal of coil etc). If I had a gem like mr. locksmith, I'd go to the lengths he describes... Agree the base truck is easy to get into (tin can comment). I'd just like to increase my chances of my ride being there for the trip home...

I did get a chuckle of "have your hiking partner drive."

A very low tech thing I do sometimes is put the transfer case in neutral. A thief might not want to stick around long enough to figure out why the truck won't move. Very low tech, but it offers me cheap piece of mind.

go offroad a lot, have fun, beat up your truck. I never even locked my 60 around town (I did, however, live in Logan, UT. pretty low crime rate). if it looks like there probably isn't anything worthwhile in it, thieves don't tend to take the risk of finding out.
I do like the fuse pulling idea though, that's incredibly simple and easy piece of mind, could even put a burnt out fuse in its place just so nothing's amiss.

Security is quite a big thing for me in Africa - and Old toyota skeleton keys are easy to come by (that open and start most old Toyota's.

I decided disconnect the door locks and install a remote central locking. So the key holes are still there, but when you turn the key the barrel just spins.

The rear boot is not on the central locking and has a different key, so if the batteries go flat there is a way in. The boot, in turn is protected by my two spare wheel carriers (which are chained together)

All the windows are covered in glass shield which protects them for a sledge hammer. In reality the doors probably could be popped open relatively easily.

I also have a fuel cut off and a Mul-T-lock which locks the gear stick. I also do the trick of leaving the transfer box in neutral.

For me it isn't just literally driving the car away, but also preventing people from getting into the car in the first place. I have basically been living out of the car for the last 7 months - so there is some valuable stuff inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom