Builds Fix'n up the Land Cruiser..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TYM4FUN

SILVER Star
Threads
So after months of looking and waiting, I just bought my sweet '97 40th LC! :D It came with factory lockers, Scion radio, Thule roof rack, 17x9 steel rims, red top optima and 2" seat track extension and 153K on the ODO.

It also came with some work...

Lots of oil leaks, brakes worn, bad LR window motor, A/C issue, missing flare and pending rear O2 code. Overall everything else looks and works really good!

Last night I decided to look at the worst things first... For me it was the a/c and the rear brakes. The PO said the a/c compressor needed to be replaced and didn't have the money to do it. So, I pulled my truck up in my drive way and popped the hood. With key off I turned the a/c pulley by hand and it seemed to turn ok....Next I grabbed the a/c belt and installed it to test it out.

Started the truck up and everything sounds fine:hmm:....I pushed the a/c button to activate the a/c clutch and could hear it engage while putting a small load on the motor. O.K. so far so good right??

With motor running and a/c on, I quickly walk over to the engine bay with my flash light to get a visual and...........a thick cloud of smoke starts to develop! Not so good:eek: I look down as my eyes are burning and can see that the idler pulley is frozen.

I stop the motor take the belt off and remove the bad a/c tensioner. Maybe the compressor is fine and just this little part needs to be replaced.:clap: I sure hope so....This would be a great first start!

As she sits today:

20191025_093858.jpg

TJM 4" lift
Rear brake job
Slee extended brake lines
Slee caster plates
New Tie rod ends
Valve cover gasket
Dizzy O-ring
Center diff lock switch
Metal Tech sliders
DC shaft
Uniden PRO520XL CB
So-Cal Frank Rear hatch mount
1st snow trip!
Another snow trip
ARB front bumper
New oil pump seal
New Crank seal
Extended diff breathers
Badlands winch
Nitto Trail Grapplers MT 35x12.5r17
Relocating A/C dryer for ground clearance
A/C overhaul
Pesky heater hose
100 Series pads/front brake job
1st camping trip, finally!
Pioneer TS-G1644R
Seans' rear bumper
Puma on-board air
Fridge/Freezer
L/R window motor replacement
Found and replaced R/R fender flare
Dual battery system
Homemade fridge slide
Underhood lighting
Homemade Puma fender mount
Rear window wiper wire repair
PYLE external speaker horn
A/C pusher fan
Upgraded blue fan clutch
Gold, Summit and Deer lake
Ram mount for IPad
Propane tank mount
Bosal muffler replacement (quiet)
New fuel filter 175K
Landtank rear lower control arm upgrade
New bushings all around
OEM air filter
New upstream O2
New rear upper control arms
Scan Gauge 2
New leather and OEM seat foam
Fort Knox center console safe
Scepter can water spigot mod
Outsane shaky mirror fix
Major audio upgrade!
Front windows tinted
Weather Tech floor liners
Rear brake lesson learned
New OEM plugs, wires, cap and rotor
OEM heater valve & upgrading hoses
Backup camera install
New window motors (other 3)
Knuckle stud replacement/death wobble hunt
JL Audio 12" sub installation
Updated iPad mount
King Off Road steering stabilizer

UNDERHOOD OVERHAUL:

Tear down
Fuel injector cleaning
OEM starter replacement
100% new cooling system
Derale Power steering cooler upgrade and new Rein HP line
All new transmission cooler hoses
New hood insulator
ABS delete
Steering shaft seal
New engine insulators
New transmission insulator
Transgo shift kit installation
GIS/HuddExpo transfercase and transmission skid plate
2.5 gallon air tank mount under slider
EVAP canister redesign
Delta 3" rear lateral control rod bracket
Wits' end OBA manifold
150 amp alternator w/Photoman bracket
Modding OEM fuse box to add 5 new circuits
Flex-a-lite aux fan
Underhood light switch and fuse
Head is back and ARP head studs
New valve cover
Upper intake manifold rebuild
New accelerator cable
New fan shroud and belts
Hood refresh complete (nozzles, lines, led wiring, diverter valve and adhesive for hood ribs)
New fender skirts and air intake hose
Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Fog Flush install
New washer bottle
200 series horns installed
Blue Sea 300A battery distribution fuse block
Valve cover painted Toyota Supra Red
New Brake calipers and lines front and rear
1st engine start after rebuild (open downpipe)
Interior sound and thermal insulation part 2
New window runs, inner/outer weather strips for front and rear, plus both front window motors replaced
New engine wiring harness and injector testing to verify ECU function
Engine finished and on point :steer:
Testing SS3 Pro Fog lights
York OBA finalized
Winch Blue Sea disconnect and bracket

Last edited:
I would check with cruiserdan and see what he can price a pulley. Hope that is all there is to it. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

TYM4FUN, we're in the same boat. I spent months looking for my 80, which I brought home just a few weeks ago and my replacement idler just showed up from Dan yesterday.

That pulley has a removable bearing that nappa stocks. Youll need snap ring pliers and a drift or extension for your ratchet and a hammer to drive it out. Thatll at least give you something to do while you wait for the whole pulley on order.

TYM4FUN, we're in the same boat. I spent months looking for my 80, which I brought home just a few weeks ago and my replacement idler just showed up from Dan yesterday.

Congrats on the LC....let me how it turns out.

That pulley has a removable bearing that nappa stocks. Youll need snap ring pliers and a drift or extension for your ratchet and a hammer to drive it out. Thatll at least give you something to do while you wait for the whole pulley on order.

Part number? Think I might do this as a back up to throw in the truck....:hillbilly:

I called them today for the pulley and they said they didn't even have it in their computer?

Brg 6301-2zj. I paid 27.99 but they warranty it for a year. Its the lowest on the front of the motor so with all the mud i take my truck in ive been through 3 already. I have the oem new one for driving then ive got the nappa bearing one ill throw on before i go in the swamp.

Brg 6301-2zj. I paid 27.99 but they warranty it for a year. Its the lowest on the front of the motor so with all the mud i take my truck in ive been through 3 already. I have the oem new one for driving then ive got the nappa bearing one ill throw on before i go in the swamp.

Perfect, thanks:cheers:

Looking forward to pics!

Cruiser looks great. Now fix the missing flare and ditch the running boards!

Cruiser looks great. Now fix the missing flare and ditch the running boards!

Check out parts for sale and parting out sections in classified. You're bound to find a flare there.

Agreed on ditchng the running boards! What mods do you have planned? This board is a sickness. The more you read the more you are infected with modfever! You've been warned! :flipoff2:

Check out parts for sale and parting out sections in classified. You're bound to find a flare there.

Agreed on ditchng the running boards! What mods do you have planned? This board is a sickness. The more you read the more you are infected with modfever! You've been warned! :flipoff2:

Lots of PM's to do.... After that lift, tires, bumpers and little stuff here and there. Steps will be gone for sure.

Sent from my iPod touch using IH8MUD

Whats wrong with the first picture?? How about that ugly stick holding my hood up....We need to fix that.:hillbilly:

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm at work and its really hard to sit still when your staring at your new truck all day. :rolleyes: So.................Running boards are coming off! :D

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Last edited:
Good item to get replaced when the die. But, I still recommend a conventional old fashioned hood rod. OEM for about $20 - 25. That hood is huge and one good heavy wind gust from the rear can send it down even with fairly good hood shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom