Builds Fix'n up the Land Cruiser..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some oily bits. 190,797k

20200905_134918.jpg

Started PM'ing heater valve and heater hoses. I like using the Gates green stripe. Tore into it not realizing you need 5/8" as well as 1/2" hoses. Well I didn't have 1/2", so I ordered from NLXTACY as well as some other items. Ready to the last point..

20200906_123220.jpg

20200906_123238.jpg

While waiting, I rotated the tires for the first time and did a brake inspection.

Hose came in (thank you @NLXTACY) and finished up the heater valve and associated hoses and upgraded clamps. The fire wall hoses are almost as much a pain as the PHH.

20200910_224018.jpg

20200910_230001.jpg

I also noticed when I changed the upstream O2 a while back, the gasket surface had TONS of old gasket build-up. Since I had the tire off, it made it way easier to finish filing down the mating surface.

20200906_120757.jpg

Last edited:
Started installing my backup camera.
Amazon product ASIN B07HNRYHZ6
The grommet at the rear passenger, gave birth to the power, ground and video cable. Wrapped it all up and secured with some 3M clips and Tesa tape.

20200906_204123.jpg

20200906_235429.jpg

I then routed to the swing-out. I used glue lined heat shrink to make sure the RCA's are water tight and wrapped it up. I might sleeve it with some prettier loom at a later time...

20200906_231748.jpg

20200906_234657.jpg

Edit - new loom finished...

20201026_162617.jpg

Last edited:
I want to have constant ACC power to the camera and also have it triggered in reverse. This way I can manually turn the camera on, but also have it pop up in reverse automatically.

To do this I tapped onto an unused ACC wire in the same R/R quarter panel. I tapped one of the tail light grounds here as well.

20200906_210106.jpg

Fished the wire and taped to loom.

20200907_104708.jpg

20200907_093544.jpg

20200907_083308.jpg

My son wants me to teach him to wire a subwoofer. I have been waiting for one on backorder from JL, but I am already here. I ran the video, sub rca's, amp signal and bass controller wire. I will leave the audio rolled up to this point, so he can finish it and run the power and ground later.

20200907_090944.jpg

Last edited:
Testing the reverse signal wire. All works like it should! ( This wire goes to the deck and commands video on when voltage is present) Tapped it here, taped and finished it up.

20200907_104208.jpg

20210110_150056.jpg

Night, no lights:

20200906_224503.jpg

Reverse lights on:

20200906_224522.jpg

Early morning, not direct Sun:

20200907_104315.jpg

Once I can pull it out of the garage, I will adjust the cones and picture more. I am very excited I can see now!

Last edited:
Started replacing window motors. L/R I replaced a long time ago, as it got to aiding the window by hand. Now it is time to do the others. They work, but like they are vacation.

TWO things I ran into setting me back this time around, that did not happen on the last install.

1. Check polarity on the motor by hooking the window switch up and testing. I tested for operating but did not pay attention to correct up-down command. Sooo, I had to take the door panel off all over again and switch the pins at the motor side.

2. The Doorman motors also no longer have threads in the mounting holes. I spent at least 15 min trying to start a screw before I realized this issue. ( edit*** 😂 😂 apparently I already knew this years ago when I did the first one)

Tapped the holes in all the motors.

20200908_114206.jpg

20200908_132332.jpg

Use a wedge to make sure the window does not fall when removing the motor. Also a towel to protect tint if you have some. You will need to move the window at times to access the screws.

20200908_133521.jpg

The only time a selfie cam is useful. Let's you see what you normally can't.

20200908_174223.jpg

Make sure you ziptie the harness, as it is longer than factory...

20200908_174019.jpg

Have a beer.

Last edited:
Aaaand another road block with really bad timing. Time to borrow a vehicle...

Went for a test drive last night after buttoning everything back up and had a front wheel wobble. So today I checked torque on everything and found a broken stud just chillin' there. 😑 Must have been loose for a while and self-destructed.

20200911_141233.jpg

Broken how? I beat my FJ40’s back in the 1990’s and have done the same to both of the 80’s that I’ve owned and never a knuckle or hub stub problem. Guess I’ve been lucky ...... ?

Broken how? I beat my FJ40’s back in the 1990’s and have done the same to both of the 80’s that I’ve owned and never a knuckle or hub stub problem. Guess I’ve been lucky ...... ?

I have no idea at all. I know for a fact you wheel harder than I do. I have always done inspections and they were always fine and torqued properly.

Only thing I can guess, it was previously over torqued by the PO a long time ago and it finally failed?? The death wobble is crazy right now under loaded braking.

I am going to replace all 8 just in case others are stretched and near failing. Bummer, because I REALLY need my truck this week for the kids. Hopefully I can extract the other half just fine.

Drilling and using the extraction bits I had on hand was not working. I gave up and removed the steering arm.

20200912_151635.jpg

I ended up having to hammer a torx bit into it and the stud came out. I removed all the studs and chased the holes with a tap. Tap size is M12×1.50

20200912_161019.jpg

20200912_161049.jpg

Last edited:
It wasn't pretty and took some finesse, but it is back together. Not now, but probably when I hit 200k, I will tear down both axles and do a proper rebuild. After all of that it turns out my sudden death wobble was from a loose wheel bearing. I am grateful that it did happen though, because I found the stud problem as well.

20200914_221302.jpg

Ok, this is getting out of hand. I thought the death wobble was gone, and I mean DEATH WOBBLE, but as I attempted to drive to work this AM it immediately came back. I have been over all torque locations and all the bushings underneath are new with exception to the lateral's that have maybe 30k on them.

The only thing that changed from my PM's that could cause this was a tire rotation. I am now thinking maybe I have a really bad tire or balance issue that was hidden from being mounted on the rear and shows up during heavy load braking. I give up this week and will get to the bottom of it this weekend.

Check list of still to do's:

-Inspect lateral bushings
-Inspect and set driver axle hub pre-load (passenger was addressed)
-Test trunnion bearing play
-Rotate tires back to where they were

Energy in can not equal energy out or death wabble will happen. This can only happen in solid axle coil spring vehicles. Congratulations ! Haha I bet if you rotate tires all will be good. What tires are you running?

All were the same, some a little bit worse.

Looks like maybe 3 of my valve cover tube seals are starting to leak. All new 30k ago, seams a little early no?

Had an inspection done to see how healthy she is this morning. I liked seeing NLXTACY's before and after and will do the same.

Looks great: (original cats)

View attachment 2194736
Here's mine from a few months ago. Almost the same mileage but I have brand new Magnaflow downpipe + cats. I'm flagged as a high-emitter so I almost always have to do a smog test. If you continuously pass within range, does the smog test interval ever change?

MWrVehjh.jpg

So glad I'm moving out of California next year. Feeling very blessed.

Nice build thread though!

Energy in can not equal energy out or death wabble will happen. This can only happen in solid axle coil spring vehicles. Congratulations ! Haha I bet if you rotate tires all will be good. What tires are you running?

35" Nitto Trail Grappler MT with close to 40k on them. It has awakened me to do more thorough maintenance which is a good thing, as life can distract you from doing so at times.

Friday night I will address the rotation 1st and see the result. If this corrects the problem I will have them balanced and rotated back again, and see if it was fixed. If not, I have some hybrid tires I will be moving to next.

Thank you. Where are you moving to?
Its a long story, but Kentucky. Parents live there currently. I can't wait to start saving so much on rent and fuel every year!

Btw, where can I see pics of your rig itself?

Hybrid tires? I ran two sets of Duratracs on my Dodge/Cummins and a year ago I discovered Nitto Exo Grappler’s. I like them better than Duratrac’s.

Hybrid tires? I ran two sets of Duratracs on my Dodge/Cummins and a year ago I discovered Nitto Exo Grappler’s. I like them better than Duratrac’s.

Nitto Ridge Grappler.. I keep going back and forth between the Mud and A/T option and this is in between. The A/T's you have would be better in the snow and ice which is what I want. Would I be happier just to go back to A/T's? Would it dampen my wild rock crawling events lol?

My mud's have given me and the kids to much of a scare in the evening hours of winter on HWY 50.

These Nitto Exo Grapplers were made to compete with Duratrac’s. Both are a hybrid tire. The Nitto’s make less noise and are load range E. The 285 x 17r duratrac’s are load range D. For your purposes, the Exo Grapplers would serve well. It rains a lot here 9 months of the year and these tires do well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom