Builds Fix'n up the Land Cruiser..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great Paul and the truck still looks way too pretty. Mind sharing the different part numbers for those various speakers? I don't know much about audio equipment but I do know mine sounds like hot garbage. One of the POs butchered the sound system so I just have a crappy aftermarket head unit, no amp, and I'm not even sure all my speakers work.

Thanks. They are listed on the first audio post. Link below. Just type the model #'s into the Crutchfield site. If you want it easier, just get four 6.5 DB 652's.

I would replace head unit first with an amp, omitting the factory one. It might sound good enough after that. They will give you all the harnesses for free too! My amp literally attaches to the back of my deck, with no need to find a location for one. I should take a pic...

Last edited:
Thanks. They are listed on the first audio post. Link below. Just type the model #'s into the Crutchfield site. If you want it easier, just get four 6.5 DB 652's.

I would replace head unit first with an amp, omitting the factory one. It might sound good enough after that. They will give you all the harnesses for free too! My amp literally attaches to the back of my deck, with no need to find a location for one. I should take a pic...

Thanks! Of course I overlooked the one post with all the information, I was distracted by all the pretty pictures. Amp attaches to the back of the deck....I didn't even know this was a thing. How tiny is that amp? I just remember seeing monster amps in the trunks of lowriders from the early 90s. Technology must have really changed. And this small amp is enough for all speakers? Excluding the sub of course....

I'm really liking that slim head unit. Do you know if does screen mirroring? Would be really slick if it could display Gaia GPS on there so I could ditch the tablet. Who knows if/when Gaia would ever get Carplay/Android Auto support...

😂 NP

Here is a video for the deck and amp I have...

Last edited:
I'm really liking that slim head unit. Do you know if does screen mirroring? Would be really slick if it could display Gaia GPS on there so I could ditch the tablet. Who knows if/when Gaia would ever get Carplay/Android Auto support...

Unfortunately no. No mirroring or outside app display, besides what is available specifically for Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

There ARE however other Alpine models you can code to allow this. My deck happens to be the only one that you are unable. However, when I was reading up on it, I believe some of the app updates are ruining this opportunity.

Google Maps does allow zoom-able satellite view. This I like a lot. The touch screen on the deck is great quality, just like a nice tablet.

That is really slick, and a very reasonable price for the head unit and amp. And you said it does a good job driving all the front and rear speakers?

I hear you about phone integration. I finally have a car with Android Auto and I love the interface, especially Google Maps with satellite view. I just wish more apps were compatible. If Gaia supported Carplay/AA it would be a game changer for trail use.

16muproh.jpg

There are rumors that Gaia is working towards Carplay certification; would be nice.

That is really slick, and a very reasonable price for the head unit and amp. And you said it does a good job driving all the front and rear speakers?

I hear you about phone integration. I finally have a car with Android Auto and I love the interface, especially Google Maps with satellite view. I just wish more apps were compatible. If Gaia supported Carplay/AA it would be a game changer for trail use.

16muproh.jpg

Yes, it does a great job powering them. This is even with the 4" JL's in the dash too. That makes 2 tweeters, 2-6.5" mid-bass, 2-6.5 coaxial and 2-4" mid-range in the dash for me. The deck with amp puts out 50w rms to each channel. The speakers I have are rated higer than that, but it is putting out plenty of volume for me. I just need a sub to round it all off.

I'll download an app and take a db measurement for you. 😁

There are rumors that Gaia is working towards Carplay certification; would be nice.

That would be awesome. If I'm lucky that means they'll probably support Android Auto by the time I'm done paying off the new Tacoma :rofl:

Yes, it does a great job powering them. This is even with the 4" JL's in the dash too. That makes 2 tweeters, 2-6.5" mid-bass, 2-6.5 coaxial and 2-4" mid-range in the dash for me. The deck with amp puts out 50w rms to each channel. The speakers I have are rated higer than that, but it is putting out plenty of volume for me. I just need a sub to round it all off.

I'll download an app and take a db measurement for you. 😁

That's impressive. And makes me wonder how it would sound with a slightly more powerful amp. Did you research any other amp options?

That would be awesome. If I'm lucky that means they'll probably support Android Auto by the time I'm done paying off the new Tacoma :rofl:

That's impressive. And makes me wonder how it would sound with a slightly more powerful amp. Did you research any other amp options?

I would be curious too.

I did not because I really like how that amp is tucked. Nice part is though, I could briged it just for the front speakers later and add a separate small amp for the rears.

However, it is putting out plenty of clean volume for me so far. 90 db's, no distortion and sounds great. This being too loud for me...it was just for science lol.

Not bad for this little setup I think? I am a noob though.

Screenshot_20191029-120002_Sound Meter.jpg

Who knows if/when Gaia would ever get Carplay/Android Auto support...

I have been wanting the same thing, but when I contacted them, they basically said it's not going to happen:mad: even with the rumors online. Hopefully what I was told is not true.

* One thing I learned doing this, we have a cooling fan for our radios!! Super cool, as it is right where my amp is!

Last edited:
Had a lesson of not to make stupid decisions. Did a once over on my truck a few weeks ago and noticed the brake fluid getting near the low mark and thought "time for new pads."

Then the stupid part I have never done before, "I'll just add some fluid and get to it next week."

Well of course I forgot and heard metal to metal. :doh:

New rotors and pads for the rear and new pads went in the front.

20191204_193806.jpg

20191204_223606.jpg

I now have the Polk crossover set to +3db for the tweeters. This has given me a better volume and front sound stage, even after adjusting levels at the deck. Now the front high's do not compete at all with the rears.

Minor reductions on the deck EQ for the top frequencies was needed to trim harshness after this.

I have yet to mic tune the setup as my laptop died. This has all been by ear thus far. Even so, this system sounds great for the price point.

Last edited:
Developed a severe misfire on #6 driving home from work yesterday. Tonight I will find out what's up.

😞😞😢

Truck is up and running fantastic.

MAN was it time for a tune-up! 😳 It was not the head gasket. 😃

I had new wires, cap and rotor waiting on the bench for when the turbo came in. The plugs are a range colder than factory with the turbo kit so I figured I would just wait until then.

Nope, truck had other plans. So I ordered some plugs and replaced all the parts last night.

20200127_205051.jpg

20200127_193912.jpg

Um, yeah.........

20200127_201900.jpg

All were the same, some a little bit worse.

Looks like maybe 3 of my valve cover tube seals are starting to leak. All new 30k ago, seams a little early no?

Had an inspection done to see how healthy she is this morning. I liked seeing NLXTACY's before and after and will do the same.

Looks great: (original cats)

20200128_092831.jpg

Last edited:
All were the same, some a little bit worse.

Looks like maybe 3 of my valve cover tube seals are starting to leak. All new 30k ago, seams a little early no?

Had an inspection done to see how healthy she is this morning. I liked seeing NLXTACY's before and after and will do the same.

Looks great:

View attachment 2194736

Here's mine from a few months ago. Almost the same mileage but I have brand new Magnaflow downpipe + cats. I'm flagged as a high-emitter so I almost always have to do a smog test. If you continuously pass within range, does the smog test interval ever change?

MWrVehjh.jpg

Here's mine from a few months ago. Almost the same mileage but I have brand new Magnaflow downpipe + cats. I'm flagged as a high-emitter so I almost always have to do a smog test. If you continuously pass within range, does the smog test interval ever change?

MWrVehjh.jpg

Almost all vehicles 10 years or older will be directed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom