Fix the rattle on the rear vent windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I figured a way to fix a vent window that is rattling, with no new parts, only a 90 degree phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers or channel locks.

1. Open the window that is rattling.
2. Unscrew the phillips screw that connects the motor hinge to the window.
3. Once the window is disconnected from the motor, place a towel between the vent window and the body to open the vent window as far as possible, giving you space to work.
Once in here, you will notice that there are two pivot points and two pieces. The outer pivot piece that connects to the glass is metal, while the inner pivot part that connects to the motor is plastic.
4. Using your hand, (though a flat head driver might be a better tool) pull the two arms of the metal piece apart at the connection where the plastic piece and metal connect, and slide the metal piece off the plastic piece. There are two pins that are what mate the plastic and metal piece. (see pics below)
5. On the bottom arm on the metal piece, using a pair of pliers, push the pin back through, without pushing it out. This will allow us to place the top arm pin in the plastic hole, slide the bottom arm into position, and pinch the bottom pin back in to reform the connection.
6. Before that though, we must bend the two arms toward each other so that they are the exact gap that the plastic piece is.
7. Now, slide the pin on the top arm into the plastic hole and align the bottom arm so that the pin will go in the bottom hole on the plastic piece. Using pliers, pinch the pin back into position.
8. Reattach the window to the motor arm with the phillips screw.

Voila! The vent window is as tight as it came from the factory! Hope this helps somebody else trying to fix this issue.

Without all the technical lingo for this process, I tried do describe it as best I could. If the is any confusion about the process, reply or send me a PM.

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

Did you tighten the motor arm that extends and retracts the window, or the hinges on the other end where the window pivots from? Because my motor arm is very secure but I have sever play in the actual hinges, and AFAIK the only way to access the hinge bolts is to remove the trim around the DS rear passenger seatbelt.

My play was entirely in the hinges at the motor. So this procedure fixed my hinge play in the motor hinge at the D pillar. I think that what you are referring to with tightening hinge bolts for your circumstance is when the front end of the vent windows is loose at the C pillar. Different problem.

Instead of adjusting the gap between the arms, perhaps you could insert a thin circlip (e-ring) of the correct size without disassembly?

TN24555-2T.jpg

Edit: Just tried this (5mm size clip) and it works for the pivot pictured below, but my rattle appears to be coming from the pivot at the window. Gotta think of how to address that one...

00F6A3C4-64E6-441B-BA69-1B5C3EE06162.jpeg

Last edited:
Would this approach also allow enough working room to replace the weather stripping around the window? I need to replace mine on the driver's side, and the FSM makes it looks like lots of interior stuff has to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom