First timer at CMCC / TLCA event questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcustom73

Stretched it...
Threads
My family and I have registered for CMCC and are excited about attending our first event of this type. My girls (wife and daughter) are asking all kinds of questions and I was hoping that the folks from GCLC could help me out.

We will be arriving on the Thursday so we can wheel Friday and Saturday. The girls don't want to do the 410miles drive in one sitting so we are looking for a place to stay near Watertown NY. Do you folks have any recommendation? We are not bringing camping gear as we have rented a cottage at Twin Groves for the event.

Also, what do you all do for food while there. I know of the supper on Saturday night, but what do you do for the other meals?

I want to make this a great event for my girls in the hopes that they will want to do more off-roading with me so any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

FYI, this is the cruiser we are coming down with :)

Good morning Kevin.
I really can't help you with places near Watertown as that is quite far from most of us. I'm sure any local hotel would be fine.

We have been talking about a campground dinner on Friday evening at the HQ cabin. It would be a pot luck sort of thing, but with our group, that usually leans more towards gourmet food. We're a food club with a Land Cruiser problem ;)

The campground has a restaurant, ice cream shop, pool (with a curly slide), and is all about family friendly. The kids will LOVE it.
Take a look at the Twin Grove website for more info. RV Resorts in Pennsylvania - Twin Grove RV Resort & Cottages

We are looking into having breakfast catered at Rausch Creek 1 or 2 mornings, but no decisions have been made yet as we're still getting pricing.

Between the campground and Rausch Creek, there are several places to stop and grab sandwiches/snacks/water/fuel/etc to stock up for the day. There will be no chance to do this once you're in the park. Plan accordingly for the number of people in your truck. You will be out for the majority of the day, and it can get quite hot in July. Bring lots of water and snacks.

Please read over the safety requirements link that was in your confirmation email Safety Requirements - Gotham City Land Cruisers
This will help you be better prepared for inspection.

If you have any more questions along the way, please don't hesitate to ask.

You may think about driving a bit further on your first day. There are plenty of motels to fit any budget in Syracuse NY, just a bit more than 1 hr past Watertown. Nothing wrong with Watertown but it is a smaller city. Mattydale just north of Syracuse on I81 has a few budget motels and lots of places to eat.

Seeing you are renting a cabin, you could do a little bit of shopping in town for breakfast and lunch items. As Jon noted, lots of local resturants, including 1 at the campground.

Did you rent a cabin with a bathroom? Some cabins do not have a bathroom. The bathroom facilities at the campground are some of the best I've seen. If your cabin has a bathroom, great, if not , don't forget to bring towels.

This is a great event and my kids always had a great time. They are no longer kids, but they still enjoy camping a wheeling.

See you there!

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the info. Helps us plan for the event for sure.

We rented one of the deluxe cabins w/bathroom. My girls are use to fully equipped travel trailer camping so going to a tent wasn't going to happen ;) We'll pick up some food on the way in to make breakfast and lunches to cut down on the cost a bit (the Canadian to US exchange rate is 1.36 right now...ouch)

They are planning on coming with me to Rausch Creek on the Friday and enjoying some R&R time at Twin Groves on Saturday.

Syracuse might be a better plan as it seems to be almost right at the half-way mark. Anything interesting to do in or around Syracuse?

I spent time this winter tinkering on the 40 to meet the safety requirements (even added a CB). Now all I have to see, is if I can stuff all the stuff the girls (my wife is a "bring everything just in case" kind of camper, hence the travel trailer) and I need :)

Excited about the event. See you all there.

It's been a long time since I lived in central NY but I still get up there occasionally.

There used to be a Alpine Slide at Song Mtn in Tully NY but it seems that they closed it. My boys always liked it.

If you like Buffalo Wings, upstate NY has some of the best. Of course, Buffalo NY is where it started but the wings in the Syracuse area are excellent.

It's been a long time since I lived in central NY but I still get up there occasionally.

There used to be a Alpine Slide at Song Mtn in Tully NY but it seems that they closed it. My boys always liked it.

If you like Buffalo Wings, upstate NY has some of the best. Of course, Buffalo NY is where it started but the wings in the Syracuse area are excellent.
The original Dinosaur BBQ is in Syracuse. I ate there years ago and it was pretty good.

Definetely consider hitting up Dinosaur BBQ. If your girls are into shopping DestiNY is one of the largest malls in the country. If staying in Mattydale, look up Zebbs for an inexpensive good meal

Thanks all for the help. I'll look at these with the girls and see what peeks their interest.

We found cottages there and back near Mexico NY. Planning on a lot of stops to make sure the girls don't get tired of being in the Cruiser. Want to make sure they enjoy it, so they want to do more in the future.

Now if I can just get rid of the pesky vibration at highway speeds, then I should be good to go (I've narrowed it down to a bad steering stabilizer and the new one should be here middle of the week). Now to start planning on what to bring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom