First start up after 18 months (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I should say attempted start up. I'm not getting any gas. I cleaned and painted the old tank and lined it with a gas tank liner from POR 15 and reinstalled. All went well and after hooking up the tank I decided to pour in some gas and see if she'd fire up. I only cranked it over for about 20 seconds at a shot but did it 4 times with no fuel appearing at my in line fuel filter below the battery. Is something wrong? Do I need to crack a line at the carb to get things moving?

Hopefully you didn't seal something with the POR 15 ?

I would crank some more with a fresh strong battery. You could pour a little gas into the carb to fire it up. We do that with engines that sit a long time in my landscaping business. You are probably not cranking long enough to get the fuel moving.

I blew air through all the tubes coming off the tank after I sealed it so I don't think that's the problem. Maybe I over estimated the strength of the fuel pump. It's only three feet to the first filter. Thought it would fill with fuel pretty quickly.Hmmm....The main line to the carb is the lowest tube coming off the side the tank?

If mine sits for a day it takes 5-10 seconds of cranking (electric choke) to get fuel up there.

Keep cranking...

If you have a Mity-Vac vacuum tool, you can use it to pull fuel through the lines up to the pump. Take the line loose at the pump inlet, attach the pump, pump until the fuel gets into the filter, disconnect the pump, reattach the hose to the pump inlet, and start cranking.

If the fuel still does not flow I would start looking at the pump itself.

This is a OEM mechanical pump right?

Yep. OEM mechanical pump. I have a little vacuum pump I use to bleed my brakes so I'll try that when I get home. Good Idea;)

I had my fuel lines switched:eek: It's getting gas now but still not starting. Next I'll check to see if I'm getting spark.

Sounds like your about to get it,good luck. Mike

In a cloud of smoke

Well that was exciting! It smoked like hell but it sounded great. When I had the engine out I rolled it over with some oil still in it and dumped oil into the exhaust manifold so I'm sure that was a lot of the smoke. Still don't have any water in the radiator or brakes but needed to know somehow that things were working. That is quite a thrill after all this time to turn the key and have it fire up. Now I can get back to work :grinpimp:
choke.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom