First LC, I know where to start, but what do I call it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I already checked in on the 3FE registry, but she was actually delivered today. She’s a bit more of a project than I initially thought, but no matter. Still a great deal to me and I’ve just always wanted one.
The idea is not to overland, not to rock crawl (there are no rocks in Florida - maybe pebbles) but maybe...expedition? What I want is a reasonably close to stock appearing Cruiser, that’s safe and reliable to drive frequently. Whatever that’s called.

Issues so far are - I’m not sure what the issues are yet. Except I can’t open the tailgate. And neither can the internet, unless the bottom half of the back of the vehicle that looks and operates like a tailgate isn’t called a tailgate. 😂
Top half opens fine, I just can’t dislodge the bottom. Of note, when the top half is opened there’s a clicking noise from under the dash, a bit slower than flashers.
All of that will come, but nothing is real without photos.
9C8044E4-879F-4FDA-ACF5-B0D85329DDB9.jpeg

4173AA89-4FF0-46B3-95A8-92B28438252F.jpeg

0C5C2E0E-4ECF-4AEB-9A88-20FB46E639C2.jpeg

We’re about to find out what I’ve gotten myself into as I start baselining.
New tires are already on the list under the safety and roadworthy category. Luckily, I already know what tires I’m getting (Cooper 33’s.)
The million dollar question is, any non-aesthetic reason I should look to change wheels? My only consideration at this point would be to refit FZJ stock 16’s but not sure for my use it’s worth the hassle. (And I’m sure they’re tough to find for sale?)

Looks like a nice base vehicle from which to build off of.

The lower 'tail-gate' section not opening is probably the release mechanism inside the tail-gate.

Should be a good start! More mysteries under the hood tomorrow. Already found some head scratchers, but...maybe it’s normal and I’m weird.

Many thanks! Search function continues, and a screwdriver/inspection plate removals. Curious about the clicking as well, it appears to be related to the gate latch being released. We shall see!

Personally I like the FJZ wheel appearance. The FJ wheels were an option on some of the 3rd gen truck and 4Runner of the day. The 80 is too classy for them.

Yeah, I like the look as well. And opening my big mouth about tires may have changed that “aesthetic-only” comment as well that I made. I cursory look doesn’t return favorable results in tire choices on the 15’s.

We’re about to find out what I’ve gotten myself into as I start baselining.
New tires are already on the list under the safety and roadworthy category. Luckily, I already know what tires I’m getting (Cooper 33’s.)
The million dollar question is, any non-aesthetic reason I should look to change wheels? My only consideration at this point would be to refit FZJ stock 16’s but not sure for my use it’s worth the hassle. (And I’m sure they’re tough to find for sale?)

The stock 16" wheel IMO is not a bad looking wheel and is plenty tough to take most off-road rigors thrown at it.

I kept them on mine and just went with a 33" tire.

Cooper1.jpg
Cooper2.jpg

You could run a lighter weight wheel. It will help in the power department on an anemic 3FE. I ran Mickey Thomson Classic II’s on my gold 92 Cruiser. They looked great, saved weight, and looked period-correct IMO. Plus, sticking with 15” wheels is good, as 15” tires are usually cheaper! ( but getting harder to come by).

2ED4837D-3B20-4070-ABD5-EB00A2E22DDB.jpeg

The idea is not to overland, not to rock crawl (there are no rocks in Florida - maybe pebbles) but maybe...expedition? What I want is a reasonably close to stock appearing Cruiser, that’s safe and reliable to drive frequently. Whatever that’s called.
Daily Driver?

Got it. I must now follow up with an even dumber question. How do you open the tailgate?

The click remains a mystery.

@Rusty Marlin Yes, first and foremost a daily. To be fair, my daily driving usually tops out around 5,000 per year at most.

And now that I see Cooper doesn’t make 15” tires narrower than 12, back to the drawing board there.

@Pitch That indeed looks like a great (and light) option. My concern is that availability issue with the 15. Ore research to do.

@flintknapper Yep, I dig that stock 16 and 33’s, and far easier to find.

I could be wrapped around the wrong axle here on availability for 15’s though? The diameter doesn’t see, to be the issue, it’s that you can’t get them in 10.5, only 12. I think I’ve read here that people have had issues with 12 wide tires on stock wheels. Open to being backhanded if that’s not the case.

Disregard tailgate question, I figured it out. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t stupid, but after zipping off the inspection plates under the carpet, the elusive problem turned out to be....no handle/latch.

F63B890E-7416-4911-9B57-2D707FBF26DE.jpeg

Under the hood is a bit more of a mess. Dirty, dirt nests, and too many things not connected that were obviously not built that way.
So...best source for FSM hard copy?

FC29A17C-CAB4-459F-BACC-30BB019C0142.jpeg

I'm curious what your mystery toggle switch turns out to be. I have a very similar looking toggle in the same location on a similar vintage Pickup that I've owned for 7 years and haven't discovered the purpose. I also haven't been bothered enough to investigate the purpose, but that's completely beside the point.

It's always fun to investigate the PO wiring mysteries.

You have just signed up for a great education! Congrats!

👍

I bought a RAM with a couple of mystery toggles like that. One was mounted directly over the brake peddle. You could reach up with your toe and flick it on/off. It was for the brake lights. Useful for ditching the cops on back roads in the dark... maybe... I disconnected it.
It had a second one up on the dash tucked behind the drink holder, it was a fuel pump kill switch. I left that one connected.

Disregard tailgate question, I figured it out. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t stupid, but after zipping off the inspection plates under the carpet, the elusive problem turned out to be....no handle/latch.
So if you grab the stub with vice grips and give it twist, does the tailgate open?

I had a toggle like that and it went to an aftermarket alarm. Anytime I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the alarm would start blasting the horn. The toggle either disabled the alarm or reenabled the kill switch. Either way, I thought it was stupid that it was so easy to spot (and kick with a muddy boot) and I eventually ripped out the alarm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom