First 2,000 Mile drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

We are going to drive from Portland to LA for the week of the 4th.

Some of you may know we rebuilt our 1FZ-FE last Winter, and have not had any issues.

We'll have our kiddos with us so I want to do what we can to prevent issues and save as much fuel as possible.

With the rebuild, everything was replaced - starter, alternator, water/oil pump, fuel filter.

I plan on changing engine oil, and differentials. And bringing extra coolant. I might need to replace the charcoal cannister (that Autozone VC-120 hack).

Anything else I am missing to help with reliability and efficiency?

Thanks everyone!

Check your nuts! Steering arms and such...

Portland to LA should be easy. Top up the fluids, check the knuckle studs, check air pressure and rally out.

I personally like to set cruise control at the speed limit and relax. No stress that way and you get to soak it all in.

Yeah we typically do this drive in my Wife's 2015 Grand Cherokee, but this time I want to take the 80 :) We'll see!

Yeah we typically do this drive in my Wife's 2015 Grand Cherokee, but this time I want to take the 80 :) We'll see!
There is really no good reason to suffer in the 80 if you have a 2015 grand cherokee. Especially with kids

There is really no good reason to suffer in the 80 if you have a 2015 grand cherokee. Especially with kids

Agree, for a road trip, likely would save $$$ by renting a car that gets fuel mileage.

Maybe a transmission oil swap.

Spare fusible links
Spare fuses
Spare relays

Drive safe!

Why waste gas and suffer through the Rockies? Unless you going to hit a lot of dirt in between leave the old girl home and save gas and maintenance....and slowness. Kids will be doing the are we there yet in 10 minutes.

Dammit. Would you guys stop making sense!?

LOL its just one of those things. Take the GC with sat radio, 30+ mpgs, reliability, and speed. Or take the legend with more room and.....well thats really the only added benefit.

I don't know, at some point logic gets outweighed. You'll remember the trip in the 80, the kids will have fun, it'll give you an excuse to head up some dirt roads and check out some scenery. People will ask you questions about the 80 in parking lots, other 80 owners will wave, and you'll get the satisfaction of a good trip on a newly rebuilt engine.

I don't know, at some point logic gets outweighed. You'll remember the trip in the 80, the kids will have fun, it'll give you an excuse to head up some dirt roads and check out some scenery. People will ask you questions about the 80 in parking lots, other 80 owners will wave, and you'll get the satisfaction of a good trip on a newly rebuilt engine.
Exactly!

We did 2500 mile loop last year in our 80. Brought along some munchy/lunch crap and drinks, and never looked back. Only lifted the hood once and that was to show off my supercharger. Buy gas, find lodging, enjoy!!

Random thought.... if ih8mud could create a page with a google map showing other members locations. It doesn't have to be your address, but rather the city or area you are in (you select). Filter options could be selected so than when you went on a trip you could see who owns 80's along the way. Make it optional so people can opt out if they prefer. Also make it so you have to be signed in to access the map.

That way we have a couch to crash on when it blows up? ;)

Why waste gas and suffer through the Rockies? Unless you going to hit a lot of dirt in between leave the old girl home and save gas and maintenance....and slowness. Kids will be doing the are we there yet in 10 minutes.

Read that and I thought I was in the 60 forum ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom