finished rear bumper/tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice - very much along the lines of what I've been thinking of. Could you take some more pics of the receiver? Looks like you must have cut the rear frame member?

Eric, the rear frame member was cut just enough to mount the receiver tube which was then gusseted and welded from behind. The bumper was made with a square opening to mount over the receiver so it could be taken on and off if needed. He made the opening snug enough so there wasnt much of a gap. Finally had to move my trailer around yesterday and it worked well. I also wanted to see if I turn sharp enough if the top of the trailer a-frame jack would clear the spare which is does at a tight right hander.

98Snakeater: Check out post #12 concerning the exhaust.
receiver.JPG
hitch.JPG

I've been looking for a local guy to fab my bumpers. Can you get me in touch with him? His stuff looks great!

It does look very professional. Great job!!!!

very nice looking bumper and I like the way the spare is mounted,

Murf...the fabricator needs to make a jig to support fabrication of additional bumpers. If your truck is not available, maybe you know of someone else in the area that he could get fit-up measurements from.

For other that are interested, the fabricator is estimating a month before additional bumpers would be available.

Very nice indeed.

Sorry for my ignorance as I don't know much about these mod. Why didn't they design the bumper with spare mounting on the left side so that you don't have to do much to move the exhaust at all? :confused:

Nice bumper. I also like the exhaust routing. I still need to figure out what to do ith my tail pipe/resonator.

Sawsall or angle grinder takes care of it nicely.:hillbilly::meh:

rear view

can you take more pictures of the rear tire carrier? i like the design.

wxm: The exhaust is independent from which side the spare is mounted on. The exhaust on 80's ride a little low in the rear where it is likely to be hit by large rocks (An AZ norm). Being that the extra coverage underneath on the corners got in the way of the original exhaust design, it needed to be rerouted regardless. I wanted it not to get cut short where fumes may trap underneath. The fab guy suggested this option which worked out better for what I wanted anyway - tucking things up and out of the way of those darn rocks.
spanner.jpg
rear.jpg

AZRider: One of our local Phoenix residents! A young guy with access to a full fabricating machine shop and a shop at his home. Ive recently saw him complete a sick 4 link jeep that showed his talents. He is working on a coworkers 40 and has done all kinds of mods from minor to major. He says he can build a rear bumper for an 80 series from $800 to $1500 tops depending on the design wishes of the owner. Az Mudders: PM me if you are interested - he would love to do more.

Does that include nieghbors that could drive down on the weekends for one? I like it!

Update: there is one thing I would change if I were to build it over, the pin latch that locks the swing away tire carrier open should be a heavier design. I'm on my third one. If the carrier gets pushed or pulled while pinned into place, there is too much leverage and the pin gets bent and doesnt work anymore. Ive seen Slee bumpers with the same problem even though the pin he uses is much larger. It still comes down to be careful and to keep the moving part of the spring loaded pin lubed with oil for smooth operation.

Other than that I really enjoy it. I had it powder coated finally earlier this year.

Update: there is one thing I would change if I were to build it over, the pin latch that locks the swing away tire carrier open should be a heavier design. I'm on my third one. If the carrier gets pushed or pulled while pinned into place, there is too much leverage and the pin gets bent and doesnt work anymore. Ive seen Slee bumpers with the same problem even though the pin he uses is much larger. It still comes down to be careful and to keep the moving part of the spring loaded pin lubed with oil for smooth operation.

Other than that I really enjoy it. I had it powder coated finally earlier this year.

Have you considered a strut like the 4x4 labs bumper?

Nicely done! It's great to see new ideas out there! Now I just need an 80...:hmm:

FWIW, we used to have a off the shelf pin and those broke and bend. We now use a custom machined 3/4" stainless pin. I have not heard of anyone bending it, but we have had a few cases where it snapped at the area where it necks down to accept the spring. In all these cases, it was when people left the carrier open and drove off.

FWIW, we used to have a off the shelf pin and those broke and bend. We now use a custom machined 3/4" stainless pin. I have not heard of anyone bending it, but we have had a few cases where it snapped at the area where it necks down to accept the spring. In all these cases, it was when people left the carrier open and drove off.

Christo, I was suprised...I didnt think with a pin as large as that could even be damaged. Driving down the road with it open would certainly do it :doh:. I dont think anyone will be able to bend that pin in the Stainless variety.

The LC with your rear bumper is a sharp looking 40th anniversary edition from Colorado that was fully Slee'd with lift, sliders, short bus bumper, winch, etc - he runs 35's and just moved down here to AZ. He'll never part with it ( I already asked him :hillbilly:)

thats one of the nicest Ive seen !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom