Finally picked up my new 80! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Drove to SFO last night to pick up the new 80! This is the rig I bought sight unseen in Boston and wellll,

The good;

The body is perfect! Two small dings with no chips on the tail gate. No door dings. No rock chips on the hood. The green metalic paint sparkles! Leather interior is really nice. Only the DS seat has any sort of cracking. The front carpet is great, the middle row carpet has a tear I knew about and the cargo carpet has a bleach type stain on the wheel well. The engine compartment is suprisingly clean. It does look as though it has had some AC work done as some of the hoses have the original tags still on htem. The worst part of the engine compartment is the battery box. That will be cleaned up when I base line the truck. Over all Very good and approaching excellent.

The bad;

All right some of you were kinda right, the under carriage has surface rust on the hard edges and bolt heads. Nothing looks majorly out of line and I have seen worse in Oregon. It is definetly not Californicate clean. The only spot that I would say was "very" rusted was the exhaust tube just ahead of the catalitic converter. Overall, a little elbow grease and some preservative will quench any further issues.

The ugly;

I checked the spare, after I got home, and it was flat. :doh: I went to the station to fill it and the bead was so dirty and full of grunge it won't hold air. It looks like this was the first time the tire had ever been dropped so I suspect that it is the original. Off to the tire store tomorrow to see if they can clean and reset the bead. Twice, in SFO, the road surface was rippled at just the right frequency and it felt like the right fron got a miny case of high frequency death wobbles???? I am hopping that a balance and rotation job will clear that up any ideas? Just in case I told the wife that the shocks may need replacing, perhaps the springs too. How was that for planting the seed?

The rest;

This truck drives great! 17 mpg from SFO to Yreka. My wife loves it! Maybe I will even let her drive it.

I don't have picture capabilities right now so you visual type guys need to close your eyes and imagine a stock LC in green! I am sure some of you can still remember what stock looks like! :flipoff2:

Pics ASAP.

Fly Rod :cheers:

what? 43 posts before you even got the beast? hmmm.... is this a bad sign, guys? :D :D :D

but congrats! even though it's green! :D

Congrats!
I think the wobbles will go away with OME springs/shocks. Handling is dramatically improved over OEM.

Way to go Fly. Welcome to our sick little world :)

Fly Rod said:
The good;
The green metalic paint sparkles!
The bad;
It is definetly not Californicate clean.
The ugly;
It felt like the right fron got a miny case of high frequency death wobbles????
Fly Rod :cheers:
Lemme get those one by one... :flipoff2:
The Good- still no clue, no idea without the REAL pic :flipoff2:
The Bad- Be more specific please--> So Cal or Nor Cal :flipoff2:
The Ugly- Okay be serious now.. get the OME steering stabilizer that should solve the wobbles prob, oh shutzz almost forgot Congrats on the rig now wash it first before you take the pics, otherwise i just about to give you one more :flipoff2:

LX_TREME said:
Lemme get those one by one... :flipoff2:
The Good- still no clue, no idea without the REAL pic :flipoff2:
The Bad- Be more specific please--> So Cal or Nor Cal :flipoff2:
The Ugly- Okay be serious now.. get the OME steering stabilizer that should solve the wobbles prob, oh shutzz almost forgot Congrats on the rig now wash it first before you take the pics, otherwise i just about to give you one more :flipoff2:

You forgot Cen Cal! :flipoff2:
I'll tell the wife you all concure that the OME will solve the problem.
No need to wash it, it poured all the way home! How's the song go??? "It never rains in California"

Fly Rod

Fly Rod said:
All right some of you were kinda right, the under carriage has surface rust on the hard edges and bolt heads.The only spot that I would say was "very" rusted was the exhaust tube just ahead of the catalitic converter.

Give it a good high-pressure washing underneath and let it dry a day. Then get some of the spray can rust converter that turns to black. I used a couple cans on my truck from Delaware over a period of two weeks and it did wonders. You can always buy a bucket of new Toyota bolts and just change them out as you go. As for the rusted exhaust, even my previous Texas truck did that after 90k miles. I'd be more worried about the brakes, which are probably pretty gnarly and will need a close look.

Install your OME and rock on. :D

elmariachi said:
Give it a good high-pressure washing underneath and let it dry a day. Then get some of the spray can rust converter that turns to black. I used a couple cans on my truck from Delaware over a period of two weeks and it did wonders. You can always buy a bucket of new Toyota bolts and just change them out as you go. As for the rusted exhaust, even my previous Texas truck did that after 90k miles. I'd be more worried about the brakes, which are probably pretty gnarly and will need a close look.

good advice... congrats!

elmariachi said:

Good advice, thanks! I have never used the rust preventative/converter can it be bought anywhere or is there a good source on line?

CDan, Do you have the part number for the Toyota Bucket of Bolts? :grinpimp:

I like that idea and will start making a list of bolts to replace.

Thanks again,

Fly Rod

Just my opinion, but, I have to say, unless you live in some place with a dry climate (i.e. Texas or Arizona), you're kind of wasting time replacing bolts to avoid rust.

I could spend my entire life chasing rust in my vehicles here in Vermont (we use salt on the roads...).

Congrats on the new to you 80.

Charlie

a quick note on the spare...

my new to me '94 in '02 had a pretty worthless spare. it too hadn't been lowered in 8 plus years. inspect that sucker very carefully. mine was bulging from where it had been in contact with the frame for soo long. i tossed it. the wheel was also in horrific shape from corrosion. it's in my garage as an emergency spare. my spare now rides up on the rack, at least until i can get over my aversion to dropping 1500 on a rear bumper/tire carrier.

best of luck with your new rig.

NorCalDoug said:
Congrats!
I think the wobbles will go away with OME springs/shocks. Handling is dramatically improved over OEM.

Congrats! :flipoff2:

Gotta agree 100% with the Pres. If truck still has OEM shocks and coils, replace them with OME. You will feel a remarkable improvement in handling.

minor surface rust on the underside parts is to be expected and normal, even in sunnier climates. Don't sweat that. What you don't want -obviously- is eaten-through metal, esp. the body.

LR_RESQ,

To bad I didn't get to your post earlier! I picked up the LC Thursday, changed plugs, wires, PCV and drove to Portland Friday. I was in St Helens for the Oregon Waterfowl Festival and drove home last night. 1,100 miles in three days, that is why I buy low mileage trucks! Next trip I will connect with you. (post ome & new rubber)

e9999,

There is no rust on the body any where. I just gave it a thorough wash and am amaized at how clean it is. I counted three small dings on the whole rig! No rock chips on the hood and the paint is as new. I am going to buy some Mothers wax and do it up right now. I'll also hit it with the rust stuff just for kicks.

I use my trucks for guiding so I was able to get set up as a commercial account with Amsoil. This should help save some $ on converting all fluids to synthetics.

I really had no idea how well these trucks drove on long road trips! Averaging 16.8 mpg over the first 1,100 miles. The drive to and from Portland was effortless and the mountain passes were no problem. I feel the motor has plenty of power for my needs. I love it!

Fly Rod

Details

What's the year and mileage?

$11,500 found on Cars.com search parameters '95 through '97 max $15k. This one was listed for $14k.

Tested the lockers today and they work.

:cheers:

Fly Rod said:
$11,500 found on Cars.com search parameters '95 through '97 max $15k. This one was listed for $14k.

Tested the lockers today and they work.

:cheers:
Not bad. I found a local 96 (spotless green w/lockers and 99K) for $12.5K. I hesitated and the guy sold it later that afternoon. Anyway, I picked up my 93 for half what the 96 would have cost me.

Congrats on your new ride! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom