finally..complete knuckle rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday we rebuilt both knuckles, bearings and wheel bearings and new rotors. Everthing went really well but noticed something really odd. The trunion/axle has slop before and after the rebuild. After installing the dust cover and spindle(w/ pressed in brass bushing) there is slop on the axle. By grabbing the grooved end of the axle exiting the spindle the axle moves around. Is this normal, nothing really holds this in concentric anyway. We did notice small wear, pitts inside the brass bushing area on the spindle probably where the axle is rubbing/hitting. Both side showed wear but were the same no more or less than the other side.
Thanks for the all of the suggestions, links to do the job. It looks daunting but actually simple if you have all the tools, FSM, Georges link and Beowulfs parts sheets.

Thanks
Chris

Chris,

You confuse me when you talk about slack and trunion bearings, then refer to the axle movement when grabbing the axle shaft itself. Where, specifically, is the slack and in what direction?

IdahoDoug

Where did you get your parts?

Chris,
If you're talking about in/out axle movement (i.e. along the horizontal axis) then some movement is normal; maybe .25 to .50 inch. If you are talking about up/down or side-to-side movement then that's different. How much movement?

How did the knuckle look when you got in there? Was it completely dry or ?

>> Is this normal, nothing really holds this in concentric anyway. <<

The brass bushing holds the axle centered.

-B-

Koyo bearings for knuckle and wheel and Toyota seals, gaskets,etc.

My concern was the axle movement after the spindle was mounted but BEFORE the flange hub was on. The axle has play up/down and side/side...not much but enough to ask questions. once the hub flange is on and all torque up its tight (obviously).
The bushing was pressed into the spindle and look ok, but noticed wear and a few pits in the inner part of the bushing, both sides showed similar/equal amounts of wear. I thought this bushing holds the axle tight/concentric to the spindle and not slop, slop being .125" or so. The ball joint looked good, heat spots looked consistant,etc. All parts were throughly degreased before reinstall.
Is this normal?? It drives fine.

Chris
94LC

Chris I think your just coming down off of the normal post birf jitters. Give it a couple of days and your likely to find something elso to stress over. Or you could have screwed something up royaly in there and it's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.
:doh: :D

Yea, I've got the post-birf jitters as well from doing mine last weekend. I keep thinking I forgot something. Now I'm thinking I forgot to re-grease the inside of the spindle (I'm sure I did but still worry about it).

I'm thinking that since I need to recheck the pre-load on the wheel bearings which means that I need to almost get down to the spindles anyway.

I didn't know that post-birf was a syndrome but I'm beginning to realize that it is.

Nick, notice the rear main seal leak...I have already stressed for the next job. After that removing driveshafts to pinpoint high pitched humming.

Chris
94LC

Grease the inside of the spindle!!!!what!!! oh no!!! Seriously it was lubed a bit plus whatever runoff from the ball joint.

You don't need to grease the spindle, and stub axle movement is normal.

I thought greasing the inside of the spindle was important. I recall Christo stating about how a rig he saw had trashed spindles from not enough (or any) grease on them.

It makes sense to me since the axle is spinning and the spindle is fixed.

[quote author=AZcruiser link=board=2;threadid=6228;start=msg50163#msg50163 date=1066021697]
After that removing driveshafts to pinpoint high pitched humming.
[/quote]

Hmmm,
Sounds like muffler bearings to me...
;)

The grease will do nothing, but go ahead and put some in there if it makes you feel better.

good. now i can sleep.

Humming happens when in thrown into neutral, letting off gas,etc. consistant with wheel speed. :(

>> once the hub flange is on and all torque up its tight (obviously). <<

Sounds normal to me. If the movement you're concerned about is *before* you put on the hub flange then don't worry about it.
-B-

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=6228;start=msg50177#msg50177 date=1066023265]
The grease will do nothing, but go ahead and put some in there if it makes you feel better.
[/quote]

Hey Cdan, doesn't Toyota have a special tool that goes on the end of the spindle and greases the inside including the bushing? We have seen bushings trashed and heard noises from people that had the service done and did not put grease on the brass bushing.

Why are you guys thinking the grease in the spindle bushing will not be helpful? I greased mine as the axle does contact it, and to me any rotating object that touches a stationary object should have a spot of lube. Even if, as is the case here, there is minimal pressure and a very large surface area.

IdahoDoug

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=6228;start=msg50275#msg50275 date=1066064686]
Hey Cdan, doesn't Toyota have a special tool that goes on the end of the spindle and greases the inside including the bushing? We have seen bushings trashed and heard noises from people that had the service done and did not put grease on the brass bushing.

[/quote]
Toyota does not but I have seen some home made ones that use a wheel bearing nut and a piece of exhaust pipe. Our guys use them to grease the spindles on IFS minis.
There is one made by AST, #140, that does the same thing. I don't know if they have been tried on a Cruiser. The spindle threads are the same but the axle stub may interfere with the tool.

Dan.

:mad: :mad: well I didnt add alot of grease in the spindle/bushing area but did wet the axles with grease. The knuckle was filled about 3/4 full per Georges link. Is this serious enough to remove and repack the spindle/bushing with grease?? I also figure grease will find its way from the knuckle/ball area into the spindle bushing area.
What do you think??
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom