Finally blew my rear diff! Western Differential question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to the Gap on Saturday and attempted the Step..blew my early 06 build FJC rear(which are prone to breakage). I was about to purchase a new 3rd member and front clamshell from East Coast Gear supply tomorrow with 4.88 nitros in it for around 1300 (core shipped) when my friend called to tell me he has broke 1 nitro himself and his ex wife blew 2 lol. He recommended Superior gears and get them cryoed..anyone have info on Superior?

So I am thinking about calling Western to find out what they say...are they a good company? Should I just remove my front and rear, buy the gears from Superior and have Western do the gear install? Are there better gears? Better install places in Tucson? What to do what to do. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jake

Last edited:
If it is for the front clamshell the ONLY aftermarket gears would be Nitro Gear. I think you will find as a whole that the quality is great. Now when it comes to the rear, its just plain simple too small for the application. this is why factory gears break all the time not just the early models. For this reason setup is very very critical to them holding up. for 2010 Toyota has upgraded the rearend to the new 12 bolt 8.2 (we also offer gears for these) email mac@superioraxle.com at Superior gear to see who he recommends for Late model toyota stuff. Also check with Metal Tech, they do lots of FJ Cruisers. It think you'll find all pointing the same thing.

Went to the Gap on Saturday and attempted the Step..blew my early 06 build FJC rear(which are prone to breakage). I was about to purchase a new 3rd member and front clamshell from East Coast Gear supply tomorrow with 4.88 nitros in it for around 1300 (core shipped) when my friend called to tell me he has broke 1 nitro himself and his ex wife blew 2 lol. He recommended Superior gears and get them cryoed..anyone have info on Superior?

So I am thinking about calling Western to find out what they say...are they a good company? Should I just remove my front and rear, buy the gears from Superior and have Western do the gear install? Are there better gears? Better install places in Tucson? What to do what to do. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jake

Jake, I've heard some bad reports about Western, I've heard a couple good reports also. Grain of salt.
I had my gears done by my friend at Calypso Auto 326 5358. Talk to Jim or Ron.

FWIW, I have had Mark at Western Differential do my FZJ-80 and my 4Runner ARB installations. Good work and fair price. Terry

Mark does good work and hes been in the business a long time, he is a little pricey but gets the job done. If you need someone in Tucson that has tons of experience and is priced right PM me and I'll send you his info. His rates are low cause he does work out of his garage.

Long story short, Mark used to own CH Preformance (built an engine for me in the early 80's) Then branched off and formed Westsern Diff. and rebuilt and installed a Detroit Locker in a Dana 60 in the same truck..Almost 30 years later, Both still get the job done for wood hauling.

Jake, cool to see your face again:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom