finally a 300 in the 300 section! 2023 GX (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Purchased a 2023 GX in February, wasn't really a planned purchase but the right opportunity happened and the rest was history.
This is the most basic 300 available in my local market. No turbo engines, nothing fancy.
It doesn't even have crawl control/turn assist just good old lockers.
1GR 4.0 v6 carryover 200 engine.

After almost 25,000km this is what I can come up with..

Pros of 300 over predecessor 200
- More nimble in the city - lighter and more responsive steering makes it a treat to drive
- Less fatiguing in long distance offroad/highway travel
- General off road performance is great. In rocky technical areas, I feel unstoppable with lockers, and in the sand dunes it feels more stable.
- Performance compared to equivalent engine 200 is much better ( 0-100 in around 7.7/7.8s which isn't bad at all for a 1GR - without trying 8 flat easily )
- Brake pedal feels better
- I really like the way the cabin is positioned, to some it may seem more cramped than a 200 and it is in some areas that's for sure, but the way you are positioned inside the cabin is perfect ( and I find it better than many other fancier cars)
- I think it looks better than the 200 but that's subjective
- Handling is greatly improved

Cons of 300
- Hood flutter at highway speeds, I know a fix is available but I don't think they are applying it at the factory yet.
- Annoying panel gaps in some areas
- Second row feels more cramped then 200
- One less seat 7 vs 8 seats in 200
- No split tailgate
- Body panels feel like they bend easier/paint feels like it chips easier
- Being the most basic version it has less sound deadening than other models, I even feel less sound deadening than a 200 GX.
- Brake noise at lower speeds sometimes ( seems to affect the GX )

I expect some of the above to be fixed throughout the 300 production cycle, the rest I guess we are stuck with for a while...
image0-3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image0-4.jpeg

image1-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Second row feels more cramped, also notice that hump?
image5.jpeg

Last edited:
Undercarriage. Sand can blast the paint on the highway easily + mixed with lots of offroading + beach driving. Even if you wash the undercarriage (which I do after every trip) this is inevitable without any undercarriage coating.
Hard to believe this is a vehicle with only 25,000km right. I need to get on it!

IMG_9202.jpg

IMG_9192.jpg

IMG_9190.jpg

Last edited:
Noticed the rear fender coming off.
I've heard a few others having the same issues. It won't clip back in when I push it.
20230608_181448.jpg
20230608_181901.jpg

Which Auto transmission are they putting into the GRJ-300?

Congrats,

I wish I could pick up a GX here in Kuwait and take it back to the States when I wrap things up over here.

Which Auto transmission are they putting into the GRJ-300?

AC60F since 2018 on the 1GR.

Out in the dunes I won't lie I do enjoy having a manual transmission ( love it in my 100s), I wish the 1GR 300 had a manual transmission option.
The engine is great but the gear/throttle reaction time sometime is not optimal out in the dunes when you need the power to be delivered asap and direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom