Fenders... repair or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
Should I just have these fenders repaired or just replace them?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/74727/UTHBT-softball024.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/74727/BSMYD-softball022.jpg
BSMYD-softball022.jpg

UTHBT-softball024.jpg

I'd replace the pass side. If you can DIY the drivers side do it. If not replace it too. Paying someone will cost as much as a new one or more than a used.

I vote for replacement. Cheaper more permanent solution in the long run.

yeah, mos def replace the ps and try to fix the ds if you can.

if you want to replace em with some pimp tube fenders, look here: www.metaltechcage.com

really cool, kinda pricey, but about the same as a pair of new ones.

jonathan

The p side is definitely toast but the d side looks like it would only need some por15 to fix it up. I would find a used pass side and call it a day. :beer:

One way (OK 2) to tell just how bad the drivers side is either a) sand blast or b) get busy with the grinder and see what is really left to work with.

I've just restored my 1978 40 and used the aluminum fenders both sides. If you have the money and want to do the work yourself it is amazingly easy to replace the fenders, just unbolt old and bolt in new. If you are going to have someone do the work on the old fenders it might be cost effective to put on new aluminum yourself. They would not have to be painted, but you can paint them putting on a coat of etch primer and then painting with color over that. The aluminum fenders have slightly different form than original but they should last forever. My picture shows the results of installing an aluminum tub aft and the two front fenders. I purchased my aluminum fenders from JTOutfitters www.jtoutfitters.com/ but they are available from many FJ40 parts suppliers.

Great paint!

I'd replace that first one. Maybe try and salvage the other. I'd check under the front turn signals too, most cruisers rust there first because of the welds on the signal bracket. You could have a body shop paint it to match while it is off your cruiser and install it yourself. You can look around for used one, but be careful, you may get one just like yours covered with bondo and paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom