fenders in ok shape? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Remembering I am not a welder yet. The rust in the outer radius should just be cut out and replaced correct? What about the rust where the fender and the skirt are joined... I plan to just media blast the heck out of it to get the flakes out and spray rust converter and paint. I realize that is not an important are to worry about rust but this is my first time doing all this and want to get other opinions. I am also thinking of the MT tube fender kit. Would that sheet metal be ok to make my own finish kit for the tube kit? thanks again.

Brad

ps also I think that the po had some type of liner sprayed under the fender. I have just been torching and scraping. Are there anyother ways to get that stuff off... am I wasting time? will the media blaster do it faster?
r outer fender rust 2.jpg
r fender skirt rust 1-2.jpg

Those fenders look like a lot of work to me. I would honestly think you would be better off replacing them now, especially if you are already considering the ones from metaltech.

You have to get any tar/undercoating or grease off before any blasting--- it will waste a lot of time and media.. heat might help, maybe solvent. Most likely elbow grease is the best bet. That can be cut out and welded up but that requires fab skills and if you are to pay someone else you're better off buying new or good used..

The fastest, and safest method (though a bit messy) to remove that tar/undercoating is a 4 inch angle grinder equipped with an aggressive coarse wire wheel. It will cut right through that stuff. Go over it with a solvent to remove the last traces of tar.

This is how I did mine (though not done yet) Drill out all the spot welds holding the inner fender to the top fender then drill out the spot welds holding the fender brace to the inner fender and top fender. Sand blast all the pieces, repair the rust by welding in new metal, prime with a weld through primer where they spot weld back together. Weld back together, prime then paint. Simple! Or just order new Toyota fenders... Pic shows one that's been partially stripped and the top fender removed...

Good Luck!
Fender1.jpg

That is pretty typical fender rust. It is easy to fix by welding in a piece of sheet metal. Just bend it to fit over the fender curve, cut out the rusted part and weld in the new piece. A little Bondo and paint and you are done. It is about a 2 hr job, not counting the time it takes for the Bondo to harden.

New aftermarket fenders are $150 - 200, but there have been a lot of complaints about fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom