Feel Like I Lost a Child Today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today has to be one of the hardest days of my life so far. I had to euthanize my 11 year old rottie, Boomer, tonight. He is the guy in my avatar pic. I have 3 beautiful children but let me tell you he was definitely the 4th child as I loved him as one! I feel tremendously priveledged to have had him as a member of the family. I truly believe he was an angel placed in dog form that I was blessed with to protect my family. I have never met a dog with a sweeter temperment than Boomer had. He was truly a "Gentle Giant" and will greatly missed. God rest your soul Boomer! I love you and will miss you but you will forever live on as my avatar!

I know where you are at and my thoughts are with you and you family.

sorry to read that.
best wishes to all...

Man that sucks. RIP Boomer.

Sad news! Dogs are truely part of the family.

Derrick, my thoughts and prayers are with you man. I went through this last year with two dogs and it is never an easy decision. The greatest show of love for a dog is letting them go when it is their time.

So sorry to hear that. Sounds like you have a TON of love to give...gonna adopt another pooch?

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the kind words, it means alot.

And yes, I have adopted another rottie, Max, who is a year old now. Got him when he was 9 weeks old. If he turns out to be even half as good as Boomer was, I will be thankful.

Here is a good picture of Boomer, 130lbs of love.
Boomer 002.jpg

Dude i hate reading threads like this. I love animals more than most people. They give so much to us without hardly anything in return. So sorry for your loss Derrick. Non-dog people won't understand, but dog people do. They truly are a part of the family.

RIP Boomer im sure you will be missed buddy :(

my condolences

Sorry for your loss Derrick. He is a statue of a Rotti. I have been in that position with a dog named Paxton, he was 101% a good guy and the best man my sister had ever had in her life up to that point.

I bet he is over the Rainbow Bridge and living the good life.

I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put my Tillie down a year ago and I am nowhere near over that one yet. I haven't met you but am saddened to hear of a fellow Cruiser Head having to deal with the pain of such a loss. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. We know when we take them on that we will eventually have to deal with their leaving eventually but it is always too soon. :beer: to you.

Mo

Once again, I want to thank everyone for their kind words. It's comforting to know that there are others who know and appreciate what a dog can bring to their lives.

It was 11 years ago on April 20, 1999 , that something occurred that changed my life....and I'm not talking about Columbine. My wife, who had just recently quit her job to stay home and raise (at that time) our two children, left the house for one hour to take our daughter to dance practice. When she returned home, the garage door would not open with the opener. She assumed the power was out. So, with a 4 and 2 year old following behind her, she made her way to the front door which was half way down the side of our house. Upon reaching the door, panic struck, it was wide open. She turned grabbed the kids and ran to the neighbors house calling 911. We had been burglarized, I mean cleaned-out. They took everything valuable except the furniture - tools, electronics, jewelry, firearms, even my kids clothes and boxes of diapers from costco. The biggest thing they took was my sense of security.

Well, the next day at work a co-worker informed me that his rottie just had 9 pups and that I could have the pick of the litter. My wife and I did a lot of research on the breed because of the bad rap that they get in the media. As with any dog, they are only as good as their owners and the more you love them and treat them like a member of the family, the more you get from them. With the research and what we learned, my wife and I felt comfortable adopting a rottie. We learned a few basic tricks about temperament testing and picked the most docile one of the bunch. This turned out to be his best characteristic as he put up with so much abuse (from our 3 kids, ear pulling,etc.) and never once lashed out at them.

As he grew from a pup to fullsize, I regained that sense of security that I lost that day. And for that, I am most thankful. There are all the trivial things that ones dog does but the one I will miss the most is his greeting when I came home from work everyday. As soon as I walked in, he would come up and "lean" up against me. This is common to the breed, they are "leaners".

I hope you all don't mind the rambling on but it is theraputic for me. I am glad to share the relationship I had with my dog and to share what kind of dog a Rottweiler can be. I already feel better than I did a week ago, thanks to you guys.

To you Boomer,
I know you are in peace now, thank you so much for sharing your life with me and my family.

Thanks again everyone!

Derrick

That is a cool story, thank you for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom