February Club Run-Anza Borrego (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The club is planning on a run to the Anza Borrego area on February 18th. We are planning on doing an overnighter but is possible to pull off for a day trip if you don't mind a really long day. The run will most likely be a mellower "overloading" type trip suitable for stock vehicles taking in the surroundings with a couple of landmarks we can visit.

We will be planning to meet at the Julian branch library (1859 CA-78) shooting for 0800-0830 taking off no later than 0900. I highly suggest fueling up in Ramona prior to entering Julian and I always make it a point to grab breakfast and coffee at Regulars Wanted (1921 Main St.) as one last pit stop before heading down the grade.

Please post on this tread as so I can get an idea of how many rigs will be attending and if there's any questions feel free to post or contact me directly.

DB81DC75-553E-43C4-9247-03D9C2C86851.jpeg

Beautiful 60. I miss mine.

2/18 doesn't work for me, but I'll stay tuned about future trips. Are there tentative dates for March, April, or May? That would help to plan around.

Two weeks ago I camped in Fish Creek with some friends. I considered Coyote Canyon, but I didn't want to arrive at the rock garden section at dusk only to find it washed out even more than usual from the recent rains. Has anyone been up this section in the last few weeks?

*Edit for posterity: see subsequent posts regarding gas.

FYI there is no gas in Ocotillo. Borrego Springs is the closest. Plan accordingly so you don't have to backtrack like I did!

Last edited:
The Chevron station just south of I8 in Ocotillo (1071 Imperial Hwy, Ocotillo, CA) is in fact open. Just talked to them.

For my rig & this trip, that is a must pit stop.

Ana and I will be out there before/during/and after...or a portion thereof :doh:

Hopefully c you @ trail head.

The Chevron station just south of I8 in Ocotillo (1071 Imperial Hwy, Ocotillo, CA) is in fact open. Just talked to them.

For my rig & this trip, that is a must pit stop.

Ana and I will be out there before/during/and after...or a portion thereof :doh:

Hopefully c you @ trail head.
Oh great, good to know. Thanks for the correction. I asked the rangers at Tamarisk and they said there was no gas there, and I asked again in ocotillo and was told the same thing. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I'll be there! See y'all at the library!

IMG20220319113337.jpg

The club is planning on a run to the Anza Borrego area on February 18th. We are planning on doing an overnighter but is possible to pull off for a day trip if you don't mind a really long day. The run will most likely be a mellower "overloading" type trip suitable for stock vehicles taking in the surroundings with a couple of landmarks we can visit.

We will be planning to meet at the Julian branch library (1859 CA-78) shooting for 0800-0830 taking off no later than 0900. I highly suggest fueling up in Ramona prior to entering Julian and I always make it a point to grab breakfast and coffee at Regulars Wanted (1921 Main St.) as one last pit stop before heading down the grade.

Please post on this tread as so I can get an idea of how many rigs will be attending and if there's any questions feel free to post or contact me directly.
I’ll be in Borrego that week. Is there anyway to hookup with the group in Borrego rather than Julian?

Do you know what trails we will be running. I will be in Borrego Springs a few days before the run & would like to meet up at the trail head rather than have to drive up to Julian.

Beautiful 60. I miss mine.

2/18 doesn't work for me, but I'll stay tuned about future trips. Are there tentative dates for March, April, or May? That would help to plan around.

Two weeks ago I camped in Fish Creek with some friends. I considered Coyote Canyon, but I didn't want to arrive at the rock garden section at dusk only to find it washed out even more than usual from the recent rains. Has anyone been up this section in the last few weeks?
Tentative dates are:
  • March 18 - Cougar Buttes
  • April 22 - Big Bear Adopt-a-Trail
  • May 20 - TBD
We will aim to firm up details at our next club meeting. If locations are suitable, we may have a Saturday day run, with camping for 1 night either before or after, for those interested, Looking forward to seeing you there!

Last edited:
I’m in! I assume we are going down Diablo instead of up?

I believe Diablo is now one-way only, starting at the south end (Arroyo Seco Del Diablo) and ending at the east end (Fish Creek).

Last edited:
I'm in, see you at Regulars Wanted!

I'm in. Probably going to drive down Friday afternoon and get a hotel room in Ramona or Julian. Not much availability. Anybody ever stayed at the Ramona Valley Inn? One of my buddies with a J33p is coming down with me as well in his rig.

I'm in. Probably going to drive down Friday afternoon and get a hotel room in Ramona or Julian. Not much availability. Anybody ever stayed at the Ramona Valley Inn? One of my buddies with a J33p is coming down with me as well in his rig.
I’m staying at the Apple Tree Inn , Julian. They had vacancies & price wasn’t bad. Not a whole lot to choose from in the area. What time is breakfast on Saturday at Regulars Wanted?

I’m staying at the Apple Tree Inn , Julian. They had vacancies & price wasn’t bad. Not a whole lot to choose from in the area. What time is breakfast on Saturday at Regulars Wanted?
According to Yelp, they open at 7:00 AM. I'll probably shoot for a 7:30 AM arrival, unless Patrick suggests otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom