Favorite Tools (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

johnny4ever

Test appropriately
Threads
Website
www.popartdavis.com
My FSM will soon be at my door and I will want to feed the tool box with a few new tools.

What are the various tools you mud types find most useful.
Looking for things like the most used metric sizes for sockets and box wrenches and improv tools made from broom handles coat hangers etc.
Are the drain plugs for the diff, at, oil pan, all the same? I have some sockets I bought for changing the fluids in my 62.

I will start slow with fluid changes and PM but may actually get crazy with replacing the engines peripherals. Crazy for me may be easy for you.

Thanks
J

#1 torque wrench

#2 cheater bar (thick walled tubing 4-5' long)

#3 metric socket set (all of them :D)

Johnny,

I've been collecting tools all my life.

The most used on my engine job are the straight metric rachet combination wrenches with the maching sockets. Great tool, nice chrome finish, Craftsman brand $100 for all.

Fine tooth 1/4" rachet is pretty handy as well. Craftsman chrome, of coarse. $29

I like the roll around tool tray, use it on every operation on any job. Load it for each job as needed. Handy place to put parts, tools, FSM, snacks, cold beverage, TV remote, magnetic nut and bolt tray, or anything used on each job. Craftsman red and black. $59

I buy only Craftsman and Snap On. Mostly Craftsman top of the line. Working on a task with cheap tools is like shooting a bear with a .22. It makes the job a lot harder and really irritates the bear.

I could go on for days, but you get the idea.

D

I love my set of Craftsmen ratcheting wrenches with the locking pivoting heads. They are a bit pricey but are great at getting at tight bolts and nuts. They have saved me alot of time, blood, and %$&* words.

If you do work alone on brakes I suggest getting a brake bleeder for one man operation.

Tools

Thanks guys.
Thats about what I was looking for. Just some pointers on the must haves for everyday wrenching.

SST's are important too but I am a big fan of the homemade versions.

Thanks

J

Tools

Just buy good quality tools your knuckles will appreicate it. 10 12 14 17 19 and 24 are the most common on an 80 if remember correctly.

Sorry

I was interested in tools for working on my Land Cruiser, so I posted in the 80's section since I currently drive an 80.

Had my quest for tools been related to anything other than Land Cruisers, I would have originally posted here.

Sorry for mis-posting thanks for not flaming me.

J

Deep and short metric sockets, 1/2 and 3/8 in drive, Metric wrenches, impact wrench, 4.5 in angle grinder (best money i ever spent), PB Blaster, brake cleaner and one of those pump deals that screws on to the gallon jugs of gear oil...LIFE SAVER! Also, pickle forks are handy too! Oh and a set of BRASS DRIFTS of varying sizes...
Check out www.harborfreight.com for these...While youre there, they have a tap and die set for cheap too that has saved me many trips back and forth to the parts store for stupid miscelaneous bolts.

Chicago

pb blaster, floorjack w/ stands, broken hockey sticks, bottle opener, brass drifts, dremel, lots of extensions for the 1/2" and 3/8" sockets, nitrile gloves, rags, safety glasses, bent (45degree) needle nose pliers, BFH, chisels

The one thing I could def. use more of is TIME

Make sure you have a good 1/2" breaker bar and sockets. I like 6 points the best as they aremuch less likely to round a frozen nut or bolt. a good solid piece of pile maybe 4' long that will fit over the breaker bar is a great tool to have as well.

really cheap, sometimes invaluable, magnetic pickup wand:
images

also two sets full good sets of wrenches, 1/2 and 1/4" socket sets
nitrile gloves

I was interested in tools for working on my Land Cruiser, so I posted in the 80's section since I currently drive an 80.

Had my quest for tools been related to anything other than Land Cruisers, I would have originally posted here.

Sorry for mis-posting thanks for not flaming me.

J

Dude no problem whatsoever. We (Romer and I) just try to keep things as organized as possible and although 80 specific tools might be your interest its always kinda good IMO to get the input of all the forum members when covering a topic such as this. If you have an 80 tool specific question posting it here will get you an answer without any problem. Thanks for not getting upset at me moving the thread.

I hear ya on the whole time thing!!

pb blaster, floorjack w/ stands, broken hockey sticks, bottle opener, brass drifts, dremel, lots of extensions for the 1/2" and 3/8" sockets, nitrile gloves, rags, safety glasses, bent (45degree) needle nose pliers, BFH, chisels

The one thing I could def. use more of is TIME

Metric flare wrenches. When you need them, nothing else is as good. As others have said, a bunch of 6 point sockets & wrenches. You will use the 12 points more often, but when you NEED a 6 point...nothing works as well.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom