Favorite Snow Tires for 100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have used Bridgestone Blizzaks and General Altimax on other cars in the past and they both were excellent. Also, quite a few pl swear by Nokians.

I have run my LX on BFG Goodrich KO2 for the last two winters (and we get us some proper winters here in WI!), they do great on snow and general driving but leave a lot to be desired on ice.

Reactions: e21
in my experience, Ko2s are terrible on hills with ice, they are ok in the snow.

I'm going with nokian studded (hakkapeliitta suv 9) tires this year, expecting a huge upgrade.

I'm in western Montana, drive 10 miles of forrest roads daily with 500' of elevation change and they ice over like crazy.

Last edited:
Are you going to be running a dedicated snow tire and something different in the summer?

I run the Goodyear Trailrunner AT on the LC and after 40k miles, I've been super pleased. They still have plenty of life left and go great in the Maine snow / slush / ice mix. We have BFG KO2's on the JKUR and comparing the two, I prefer the looks of the BFG but the GY Trailrunners for everything else.

Reactions: e21
Are you going to be running a dedicated snow tire and something different in the summer?

I run the Goodyear Trailrunner AT on the LC and after 40k miles, I've been super pleased. They still have plenty of life left and go great in the Maine snow / slush / ice mix. We have BFG KO2's on the JKUR and comparing the two, I prefer the looks of the BFG but the GY Trailrunners for everything else.
Looking to get dedicated snow tires. I've been running KO2s the past couple winters and they're great in snow/slush, but I've had some scary moments driving forest roads on ice with them.

in my experience, Ko2s are terrible on hills with ice, they are ok in the snow.

I'm going with nokian studded (hakkapeliitta suv 9) tires this year, expecting a huge upgrade.

I'm in western Montana, drive 10 miles of forrest roads daily with 500' of elevation change and they ice over like crazy.
Great to know! I've had the same experience with KO2s on icy forest roads, which is pretty much the reason I'm looking at getting dedicated snows.

I am looking for a non studded snow tire for this winter. Currently I have an old set of Firestone winterforce 265/75/16, (this is what size tirerack recommends for a 2000LC). Winterforce IMO are good for snow but terrible in icy conditions. Not even close to A Bridgestone DM-V2 The tread compound is very soft as well. KO2 All terrains are great in the snow when they are new but if they get to be any where near 1/2 worn you are gonna slide like hell. Been there done that.

Couple questions for you all:

1. What is the preferred winter tire size that you are running for winter tires on a stock 100 series with 16" rims?
2. Tire rack only has a few choices in 265/75/16 and none seem that great. I clicked on Costco link above and they did not have anything in 16". Called Bridgestone and checked with a local Bridgestone dealer and all they have is Firestone winterforce for 265/75/16. What is another good vendor to buy a Nokian or Bridgestone tires from for 16" wheels?
3. Anyone have any luck with Bridgestone W965
4. Nokian- Exactly which snow tire are you all referring to?
4. Any good sales out there now?
5. I see the DM-V2 are available in 265/70/16. Would the size matter that much dropping from stock 275/70-16. I realize the speedometer would be off.

Last edited:
Yes Nokian are the best winter tires. In Alaska, have Hakka 7 on my LX, Hakka 9 on our Tesla, Hakka 5 on Subaru and today getting Hakka 9’s (to replace a set of Hakka 4’s) put on our old MB 4matic our son drives.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV is what I'm going with.
Old post but did you try these? I’m in NW MT also 30 miles up a road that gets no deice and little sand. I have older Nokian AT that were studded but not the Haks. We have had A few scary moments on these…. Thanks!

Old post but did you try these? I’m in NW MT also 30 miles up a road that gets no deice and little sand. I have older Nokian AT that were studded but not the Haks. We have had A few scary moments on these…. Thanks!
Have Hakka 9’s on our Tesla, they are rock solid in the worst winter roads, including solid clear ice.

It's what we run in the winter. We've had them for 2 seasons and have put 22k miles on them. Can't say enough good things about them.

I haven't used chains yet.

I get mine up in Kalispell at Discount

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom