Fan Spacer for SuperCharged 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all credit goes to @landtank for his GREAT idea and development of the modified Orange clutch to allow the stock fan installation in a Supercharged 80: (THANKS !)

LANDTANK fan clutch for S/C 1FZ

In my case I already had a good Modified Blue clutch and didn't want to spend the $$$ on a new clutch, so I started thinking of an alternative and I wanted to share my approach.

Basically what I did is put a spacer between the Fan and the Clutch. End result is the same as LandTank's modified Orange Clutch and works great. IMHO no compromised is introduced by using the spacer - but by all means, correct me if I am wrong :)

See pic below:

1. Spacer used. 8MM Aluminum spacer, note the thick wall that allows for force distribution and stable contact surface (McMaster 94669A172)
2. Spacer on Clucth. The spacer covers almost all the area that would be normal contact between the Fan Base and Clutch. Didn't see much compromise because of the spacer
3. Cone Screw. Once the Fan is separated from the clutch the alignment tabs on the fan are no longer useful. To ensure the fan is bolted as centered as possible with the clutch I used the cone shape screws that basically will 'self' center on each hole ensuring concentricity between the fan and clutch (McMaster 90258A288)
4. Screws on fan. I use locktight and be careful to not over tight and damage the clutch thread

$15 later and a bunch left over Stainless Steel screws I am Happy ! :cheers::cheers:

The amount of air that the Stock fan pulls is just way much much much ! more than the fan that comes with the S/C kit. I had even forgotten that roaring sound the stock fan makes !

I expect amazing improvement this summer :)

Again, thank you LandTank for a great idea !

upload_2016-3-30_15-53-58.png

BTW.. The only challenge I had was on the S/C Belt installation. Because the clutch is not moved forward with this setup the tool that I was using to move the tensioner was coming into contact with the clutch and did not allow me to move the tensioner far enough to install the belt. I really had to fight with that thing until I got it on !

upload_2016-3-30_16-3-28.png

I like it. Seems cheap and easy. My only concerns would be:

1) Stainless screws may not be strong enough? The initial force of the fan turning is now on the screws instead of the tabs on the clutch, so it might shear them off?
2) How much play is there between the washer and the screw? More play could potentially let it get eccentric. Perhaps a threaded washer or just a nut used as a spacer could prevent this?

as they say, "there is more than one way to skin a cat". For me I wanted a solution that I felt would mimic a factory engineered one had one been offered.

I would watch those tapered screws for wear. Depending on the tune of the clutch, the environment that you are operating in and your driving style, the loads exuded on them could be significant.

Have seen it done by cutting base off of old, dead fan clutch and machining it down with a centering nipple to match the water pump. Requires longer studs. Would likely be stronger, and maybe more centered, than spacer rings and screws? Both result in moving fan blades closer to radiator core. Not sure that I personally am willing to accept that risk. Fan blades are flexible and I have been known to run high RPM in rough terrain, which increases risk of blade to core contact . John

I like it. Seems cheap and easy. My only concerns would be:

1) Stainless screws may not be strong enough? The initial force of the fan turning is now on the screws instead of the tabs on the clutch, so it might shear them off?
2) How much play is there between the washer and the screw? More play could potentially let it get eccentric. Perhaps a threaded washer or just a nut used as a spacer could prevent this?

1. Good point... but how to tell ? my gut feeling is that it is OK

2. Another good question ! there is some play. I could have ordered stainless steel spacers, but thought that they are heavier and if not centered properly it could introduce vibrations. I choose aluminum because they were much lighter so if they are off it shouldn't be a big deal. Before I set the screws I try to center them as much as possible. So far I don't feel any adverse vibration. In fact, now I realize that the fan that comes with the kit woobles a lot.. at least mine did. The stock fun is much smother .

as they say, "there is more than one way to skin a cat". For me I wanted a solution that I felt would mimic a factory engineered one had one been offered.

I would watch those tapered screws for wear. Depending on the tune of the clutch, the environment that you are operating in and your driving style, the loads exuded on them could be significant.

Great advice ! I can give it some more run time and pull out the fan and check the condition of the screws. I will do that and update later. Thanks !

Looking at the stock fan and blue hub clutch I have on my workbench, I don't see any interlocking tabs. The fan just sits flat on the clutch.

Looking at the stock fan and blue hub clutch I have on my workbench, I don't see any interlocking tabs. The fan just sits flat on the clutch.

See pics below:
1. There is a machined notch on the fan clucth
2. The machine notch on the clutch aligns the fan in place. Note that even the OEM setup has some plan in the fan, so my guess is that for the purpose of the fan itself 100% concentricity is not required

Once you put the spacer on then you are further up and passed that machined notch thus allowing more play than I was willing to allow. Hence the reason I used the coned shaped screws

View attachment 1238421

upload_2016-4-8_10-20-5.png

I'm experimenting with pulling the metal thing out of the TRD ring fan and using that as a spacer. It works out to be about .146" which is about 3/64 shy of the necessary 3/16". I assume it's better to be slightly over 3/16 than slightly under?

Anyway,still considering how to do it. Was thinking about putting a couple tacks welds on it to hold them together, but I'm worried that would compromise the fan. Also considering welding some pins on it that lock tightly with the rivet holes on the fan. Or maybe just using bolts in those holes if I can find some low profile ones.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@DARKNESS , measure again

The spacing needs to be 8 mm or 5/16 in (0.32 in). That measurement you have is way under (3/16 in), and likely the fan won't clear the engine

The 8 mm spacing seem to be he sweet spot. Too much and the fan blade may come into contact with the shroud (lower driver side), and too little and you may not clear the engine.

Ha, thanks! I just mixed it up in my head. Yeah ok, so some washers will also be required.

Very innovative design, my only suggestion is to find wider washer so the contact area is bigger. Also the tapered screw will most likely chew through the plastic in time.

Land tank version is definitely not cheap BUT you gotta weight the possibility of fan problem middle of no where. Personally I won't do it after spending 4,000 dollars on the super charger and associated stuff to save 300 bucks and have that in back of my mind when deep in the desert somewhere. Cooling is even more of a concern after SC, so this is not something I personally would cheap out on and that's from someone that regards being cheap as a religion.

Last edited:
Very innovative design, my only suggestion is to find wider washer so the contact area is bigger. Also the tapered screw will most likely chew through the plastic in time.

Land tank version is definitely not cheap BUT you gotta weight the possibility of fan problem middle of no where. Personally I won't do it after spending 4,000 dollars on the super charger and associated stuff to save 300 bucks and have that in back of my mind when deep in the desert somewhere. Cooling is even more of a concern after SC, so this is not something I personally would cheap out on and that's from someone that regards being cheap as a religion.

Yeah, I'm still on the fence. If I can't figure out something I'm totally comfortable with I'll just stick with the 3FE fan I'm running now or spring for Landtank's clutch. $385 is steep though. I totally understand why it's so expensive, but I'm still not sure its worth it for me.

Also, it sounds like the availability of orange clutches is becoming an issue so maybe it won't be an option for much longer?

Well we have two, five are in bound and three others we are waiting on confirmation. Not sure about future availability.

The cost issue for most is that you have already bought a new clutch that is otherwise perfect. But if you need a clutch anyway I think it's a no brainer.

There is definitely something going on with Toyota on the supply side of these things. Just too hard to source this part that is still in current production.

Guys.. this discussion may lead someone to believe that using the orange modified clutch is more reliable than spacers or any other method.

IMHO I want to point out that I think the biggest risk on using the stock fan is the fan coming into contact with something - moving the fan location to allow the use of the stock fan puts things very close to each other

Even worn motor mounts can increase your risk of hitting something, or as it was discussed already a radiator install that was a little off caused an issue.

If you do decide to install the stock fan on your S/C 80, PLEASE make sure to check potential places of contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom