Fan seems to be engaged 100% of the time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently got a 2000 LX470, However it seems a bit sluggish so I've been investigating it.

I have a diesel landcruiser and when the engine is cold I can spin the fan freely meaning the clutch isn't engaged. On the LX if I turn the fan it will want to turn the belt system too so is completely engaged from when cold. I'm guessing this isn't normal and could be why the engine feels a little gutless.

Question, can I simply remove, drain some of the silicone fluid and put it back in? Or Should I just replace the clutch? Replace all the fluid completely? If the spring is broken obviously I'll replace the clutch but these things are relatively simple in terms of mechanics. Unfortunately don't know if it's the original or not, it's blue?

Thanks in advance

While it might differ between Petrol and Diesel motors, and also between an LX and an LC, my clutch is not blue.

If you have access to an OEM or equivalent component I'd go for a replacement and test. They aren't a cheap part, but are under $100 for an AISIN part.

If you can replace the fluid, it usually works. 60s and 80s do it all the time. Haven't looked at mine to know. As cheap as the fluid is, I'd go for just replacing all of it.

But yeah, it's a $100 part to just replace.

Depending on the miles, the bearings start to go in the fan clutch- so for the cost of a fan clutch (<$80 here in the US anyway) I'd replace it.

Ordered a new AISIN unit from amazon for $90, hopefully it's the correct part and solves this minor issue.

Did this solve your problem? What steps did you go through to get the fan clutch assembly out? Did you have to take the upper coolant hose off? Fan shroud? Is it possible to take fan off the clutch, leave the fan in that area, pull the clutch off of the pulley assembly and then replace in that order. I am just thinking this will avoid having to have so much room to get the whole assembly out. Any tips? I have a new fan clutch on order from Amazon (Aisin) and am going to do this work this weekend. Tips are appreciated.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom