fan clutch rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sup y'all,

i've read the tech article on the fan clutch rebuild, can i get the silicone fluid at any toyota dealer?

also, would y'all recommend taking the fan off first (i have the radiator and shroud out already b/c of some other stuff i'm doin) and then taking off the clutch?

what else do i need to be careful of while doin this rebuild? also, anything else i should look at / fix while i'm in there?

thanks guys,
jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu

also,

any recommendations on how to do the o-ring reinstall? should i cut it or not?

any dealer(worth a crap), if you need the part number I have it. There are actaully 3 different flavors(viscosity) of oil.

take fan and fan clutch out as one unit, remove just the 4 nuts that hold it on. Then when out remove fan from cltuch

Don't cut O-ring, just play with it till it fits back in, for some reason it gets really big when it comes out.

Now the guestion is, why are you replacing the fluid? is yours not working? is it locked up? Did the fluid leak out? or just preventive maintence?

I have replaced the fluid in a few suspect fan clutchs and to be honest I was unhappy with them. I have sense replaced with new OEM.

If when you open it up you see metal bits........toss it.
If it's locked up..........toss it.
If the fluid is black when you open it........toss it
If there is no fluid.........I have never seen this.....if I did I would prolly toss it.
If when you open it you see new looking fluid and the fan clutch isn't working right.....toss it

so I guess what I'm saying is I don't think it's worth the $20(if 2 tubes are used) to replace the fluid if the FC isn't working right, just spend another $80 and be done with it. This is from the person(me) who is prolly the one that first passed on the info(to the Cruiser groups) about replacing the fluid.......years ago, sense then I have changed my opinion on this and believe the best thing to do is replace the unit not the fluid. There are no other parts that can be serviced in a FC besides the fluids, but there are other parts of the FC that go bad, causing it not to lock up correctly

thats my 2 cents.

BTW you can replace the fan clutch without pulling the rad/shroud or upper hose, I know yours are out for another reason however.

John H

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=6999;start=msg57844#msg57844 date=1067714220]
sup y'all,

i've read the tech article on the fan clutch rebuild, can i get the silicone fluid at any toyota dealer?

also, would y'all recommend taking the fan off first (i have the radiator and shroud out already b/c of some other stuff i'm doin) and then taking off the clutch?

what else do i need to be careful of while doin this rebuild? also, anything else i should look at / fix while i'm in there?

thanks guys,
jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu
[/quote]

just one more thing.......a 72 F motor shoudn't have a fan clutch.

If your does I'm curoius how it bolts up, I tried to fit(because someone asked if you could) a FC to a 74 F motor and it wouldn't match up, I suppose you could swap the pully to a 2f pully.

John H

landpimp, i have an 84ish 2F, so that's why. ha ha.

i was goin to get the silicone stuff today but the parts shop at the dealer closed at 1 (i wasn't even up by 1 :flipoff2:). i was halfway there before i thought to call, kinda disappointed.

i was goin to replace the fluids b/c i have had some trouble with the clutch before. i figured some preventive maintainence, as you called it, wouldn't be a bad idea. that was also before you said the junk costs $10 a tube!!!. :eek:

i'll let y'all know what i end up doin (replace fluids v. new FC) monday or tuesday dependin on how classes go and if i can make out to the dealer.

thanks y'all,
jonathan

I am with the PIMP. SOme stuff is just not worth fixing when you can buy new cheap. I would not go OEM on the clutch TPI and CCOT have rocking deals on WP and clutch combos. I would replace both while you are in there. As well as belts, thermo, hoses and have the rad rodded and boiled.

yeah, i'm in there right now to boil the rad, fix leaks and paint.

what is "WP"? and what else are you suggesting?
thermostat, etc., these all can be found from tpi/ccot?

i'll go look around real quick,

thanks,
jonathan

[quote author=dd113 link=board=1;threadid=6999;start=msg57975#msg57975 date=1067745678]
I am with the PIMP. SOme stuff is just not worth fixing when you can buy new cheap. I would not go OEM on the clutch TPI and CCOT have rocking deals on WP and clutch combos. I would replace both while you are in there. As well as belts, thermo, hoses and have the rad rodded and boiled.
[/quote]

what brand is the TPI or CCOT fan clutch. I have heard not so good things about generic FC's.

WP is water pump. Toyota also sells the FC and WP as a combo for a bit less then the 2 seperate.

I agree do the t-stat for sure.

John h

yeah, i figured out WP = water pump yesterday afternoon. ha ha. i was thinkin more along the widespread panic line, but whatever.

i also got in some trouble with the law yesterday workin on the cruiser. aparently you can't "work" on your vehicle while on campus or in an on-campus parking lot.

i went inside to grab my haynes and came back out to, not one, but TWO police cruisers parked around my fj. somebody had called in a complaint (for what?) that i was workin on my car and so they showed up. i had already pulled the rad and taken the FC off. there was some antifreeze on the ground from when i first started to drain it, and this aparently angerred the policeman (who was from jamaica. awesome.). i really thought they were gonna tow me. he said that i had to get the car off campus immediately. what a load of crap. they even called the fire dept/hazmat team to see what to do abt the paltry amount of antifreeze that was making its way to the drain.

whatever. sorry for starting to rant.

y'all have a good sunday,
jonathan

Heart of Texas Offroad $49 for heavy duty Toyota fan clutch, $44 if TLCA. I've got one on my 60 and have been very pleased.

In addition to the other recommendations, flush out the block while your drained.

I replaced fluid per the tech article found here. I was very happy with the results. Didn't take very long to do either. This was after I yanked the original fan and put in the Mercury electric fan and overheated the truck, installed aftermarket fan and overheated and blue the headgasket, and finally decided to go the easy route with the fluid. Don't ask what went wrong on the electrics as I don't have a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom