Factory roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in Houston & doing some contingency planning. I have a factory POS roof rack, how do I quickly make this functional?

aedgington said:
I'm in Houston & doing some contingency planning. I have a factory POS roof rack, how do I quickly make this functional?

What do you mean by functional? What are you wanting to do with it? Are you wanting to add things to it like a basket or floor? Or are you wanting to strap lumber to it? You gotta give us a little more detail.

It works OK if you want to strap long things to it like a small amount of lumber or a ladder. If you're wanting to carry stuff on top, you can add something like a Yakima basket pretty easy with some mounts made to fit the factory cross bars. If you're looking for something more heavy duty, you could follow MOT's advice and replace with a full Thule or Yakima rack.

Or, you could purchase a full roof rack like the one Landpimp just got from Slee. http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_roofracks_main.htm

There are many options you just gotta let us in on what you want to do, to determine the right one.

I beleive he was thingking to evacuate from from Rita's path.

Get the simple walmart roof bag or better plastic waterproff bags and just strap everything on to the roof. Just put the lightest thing up there like camping equipment and clothing.

Yup, Augie's got the quick fix for an evacuee. Got my cheap-o waterproof bag from Dollar General for $10. Blue cam; how urban-chic is that. Just wanted to throw another option out there for ya. I bet wal-mart's inventory is hosed right now.

Good luck to y'all; I just moved back to home to SC from Houston 2 years ago. My car got ruined by Allison when I was on my honeymoon! Flooded the garage my porsche was stored in and basically stewed in the garage for a few days until I got back from my honeymoon. 'Bout that time we got rid of the apartment in Bellaire and built out in Cypress.

Godspeed.

Sorry, I was looking to put (4) 6gal gas tanks on the roof. apparently i was the only one bright enough to stock up on gas, but dumb enough not to have a plan to transport it.

Long story short, I turned around & am back at home, I-10 & BW8. I have emergency plane tickets for myself, wife, and kid. $3500ea w/out SkyMiles, $700 with. Gee, no one's price gouging, are they?

I decided w/ the freeways jacked up I'd have a better chance at lawless offroading out of Houston than sitting in 2mph traffic... and that 2mph pace is bleeding everyone's fuel. I REALLY didn't want to be the guy on the freeway toting 24gal in plain view.

We'll see what happens. Note to self: aux fuel tank & safari roof rack goes on the to-do list! At least now I'll have no problem justifying it to the wife.

Best of luck , and be safe. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that anyone who needs a hand, just ask...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom