Experiences with Marlin Crawler Transfer Cases Gearing Changes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to clarify, you installed the 10% underdrive on the high range and the low on the low range with your 5.29 and your happy with it. I am in the process of a engine rebuild and have the tranny out so plan to do the lower low range gears but was contemplating the under drive high range. I am on 37's and stock gears at this time. With the rebuild, money is tight so I cant do the ring gears right now but plan to in the future. I just want to make sure I dont have to go back into the transfer case.
Yes, both the underdrive for the high range and the low range gears as well as 5.29s.
I like the gearing a lot offroad. On the highway the RPMs are high, 3400 at 80mph, but it's right in the power band.

Thanks, I agree with the offroad gearing. The other option I was considering was overdrive high range and 5.29 coupled with the lower low range but I cant do all at the same time. I figured this would drop highway RPM's and still have a great crawl speed. This isnt a DD anyway. Its good to see some real numbers rather than just run the numbers on a calculator.

I am running 4.88s in the diffs with the marlin reduction gears for the transfer case. It has been a fantastic combo.

If I was doing another build I would add the low range gears before lockers. World of difference offroad. I think the gearing reduction offers more bang for your buck than lockers.

I also had Slee install my ARB's, so they work perfectly but I had to empty my wallet.

Im factory locked so all good there. I was thinking of going with your gearing setup as well. I hear the front gear in 4.88 is stronger but there are plenty running 5.29 without issues as well. Just be more mindful about being locked and flooring it in reverse.:)

Mine are Sumo, not Marlin. No reason not to go with Marlin, I honestly didn't even realize they were still selling them when I ordered. I did high range overdrive and low range. Other than a little time in a field testing everything, I have not been anywhere to use low range yet, but I can say just from testing that the low range gears are a significant difference. The high range under drive gears (the main reason I re-geared honestly) are less of a noticeable difference, but the truck feels better, less stressed. I'm on 35's (315's) with an Eaton aftermarket rear locker on stock axle gears. I did all the bearings and seals while I was in the transfer case. At 277K miles, there was nothing really bad in there, but I'm not sure the gear oil had been changed much if ever and I figured it couldn't hurt anything other than my bank account. The old bearings were obviously looser than the new ones, but the old ones were still all together and dong bearing things. I'm still getting everything sorted (the whole truck is essentially a fresh build) but no issues with the gears. I am listening for the whine, or any noise at all that might tell me something isn't right, and I'm not hearing it at this point in high range. Low range does sing. The only issue I am chasing in the drivetrain is likely TPS related, I can't find the right spot even with feeler gauges. I can either get my idle in the right spot, or I can have a relatively smooth shifting truck that isn't hunting for gears when trying to part throttle cruise at 50 - 60, but not both. Since I have been mostly driving a manual economy car for the last 3 years, some of it may be adjusting my expectations also.

Jason
Hey Jason - I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the same high range under drive and low range 3:1 gears from Sumo. I also run 315's (may potentially go to 37's someday). Have you been happy with the setup after a year + ? Does anyone know if there are other transfer case gear options in different ratios? I saw the Marlin gears (out of stock) and they seem to be the same ratios as Sumo.

Hey Jason - I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the same high range under drive and low range 3:1 gears from Sumo. I also run 315's (may potentially go to 37's someday). Have you been happy with the setup after a year + ? Does anyone know if there are other transfer case gear options in different ratios? I saw the Marlin gears (out of stock) and they seem to be the same ratios as Sumo.

I think space within the case is what's limiting the ratio. I'm installing the 3:1 gears as we speak and I've had to clearance the inside of the case. I'm not sure you could get a bigger gear in there.

These are questions better left to the vendors here.
CruiserTEQ
Valley Hybrids

All of the HF2A/HF2AV (the T-case found in all full-time 80/450/100/470 Models) have these gear options:

FD64FFFB-5956-40CC-8F55-BF2B16A873C0.png

We could love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters! We have all of the gears in stock and can ship as soon as tomorrow.

High Range Underdrive Gears:

Low Range Gears:

We can also build you a new or used case, fully preloaded with your choice of gearing. We have geared cases in stock & ready to ship! 😎

0E233354-0628-4E73-BD59-9737B5CBB98F.png

More on complete cases here on Mud: YWST: Compete 8x/450/100/470 HF2A T-Cases - Stock - High Range and/or Low Range Re-Geared - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ywst-compete-8x-450-100-470-hf2a-t-cases-stock-high-range-and-or-low-range-re-geared.1308346/

Jeff, just do it. Can’t comment on HR as ours are stock (as are the axle gears, tires are 315’s, high range shift pattern available in low range). But the other day on the Kevin Patterson Memorial Run, the fellow in the Tacoma behind me asked whether I had converted the 80 to a manual transmission since he didn’t see brake lights come on on any of the descents. And some of those did require attention. 🙂

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom