experienced with POR15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all,

last night i gave two coat of por on the front knuckle parts and third member housing....

here is the question...

the frist coat dried to a matte finish while the can I have is a semi-gloss....
the second coat dryed to a semi-gloss but with small patch of matte finish...

is this normal? Have other experience the same thing? I've I done something wrong with prep or paint?

thanks

yves

Did you stir the paint while painting? That will usually keep the finish constant.

Is that the chassis black top coat or the Por 15 semi gloss? I've used the gloss Por15 and the semigloss chassis black topcoat with good results but I haven't used the por 15 semigloss.

Kevin

paint is por 15 semi gloss, i'l scratch the surface when all aseenbled and then give one more coat of por 15 and a final coat of chassis coat black for a total of 4 coats of paint in the final products

paint stir in the container and a small portion was put in a small cup for painting and lid put back on main container......but then i dind't stir the paint in the small cup while painting......

also, i don't know if it make a difference but my bare metal had pits in it. first layer was put on thin and i think thats why it dried to a flat black finish. the second coat is probably the matter of stirring in the small cup and putiing an even coat of paint everywhere!

You can apply it too thin, there is a middle point where you have the right amount. Then you can get too much and end up with runs really quickly. Plus if you have any dirt or dust left on the material it would make it a matte instead of clear. Here is a pics of my freshly sandlbasted and POR-15 'd tub.

later

Ryan

Oh did you use metal ready???

They had already been painted with it previously. I just hit it with the top coat. When I do a SOA I will hit it with the air tools.

later
RYan

Are you thining the por 15? That can change the gloss. If you going to topcoat it than does the finish matter? As long as you get a good coat on it the topcoat should flow out even. The topcoat isn't as hard as the Por15, I had brake fluid go right through it to the Por15. I painted 2 coats of Por15 on my frame and tub under side and on the frame I put 2 coats of the Topcoat. Por says that the topcoat will bond to the Por15 without sanding but I hit it with a 3M pad just to be safe. I sprayed 2 coats of Epoxy Primer over the Por15 on my tub and then 2 coats of enamel on that.

Kevin

I only thinned it when I was shooting it inside of the frame rails I couldn't rear with a brush. I used a big brush to do the tub. I need to put a coat of Tie-coat on the inside of the tub before I herculiner the tub.

later
RYan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom