Expedition One rear bumper - it lives! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked mine up at Expedition One today in Ogden, UT. The employees that helped me were really nice and helpful. They had a couple of GX460s in the shop with the rear's installed and they look really nice in person. I went plain jane and plan to add a hitch mounted spare mount next to give me options.

20210125_183509.jpg

Congrats, it's definitely a good looking bumper with an innovative design. I just wish it had an integrated hitch so it's a no go for my needs. Did you have them install it while you were there? Got a weight for it?

Congrats, it's definitely a good looking bumper with an innovative design. I just wish it had an integrated hitch so it's a no go for my needs. Did you have them install it while you were there? Got a weight for it?
Going to try to install it this weekend. I'll weight it before I throw it on, but I can tell you it has some heft to it.

Picked mine up at Expedition One today in Ogden, UT. The employees that helped me were really nice and helpful. They had a couple of GX460s in the shop with the rear's installed and they look really nice in person. I went plain jane and plan to add a hitch mounted spare mount next to give me options.

View attachment 2565232
Okay, now that you've teased us by showing it all covered up, how about a naked view!!

Going to try to install it this weekend. I'll weight it before I throw it on, but I can tell you it has some heft to it.
Any pictures of your rig with the new bumper yet? Please share!

Sorry, the weather and my schedule haven't been in agreement, but it looks like I'm going to make it happen this week I hope.

Looks awesome. Is this a cut free install ?

Is that aluminum tread plate on top? I used a gray rubbery grip tape for that rear deck on top of the bumper. After several years, still works great!

Congratulations on the initial install of this new-ish rear bumper option. I'd look forward to any additional comments on quality, weight and perhaps other rear bumper you considered. It does look no-cut - are you happy with the gaps/fit with the original rear elements. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Let's see:

Cutting: You have to cut off the the lower plastic skirt of the bumper and 2 brackets off the face of the cross beam. I cut the plastic with a dremel tool and the brackets with an angle grinder. Because the bumper wraps around everything, the cuts were pretty low stress.

Quality: Seems top notch. Welds look good and the powder coating is excellent. Install was pretty straightforward and everything seems laid out well to get to the bolts etc. for the most part so far. There's some trim work I need to figure out near the door opening on top, the aluminum tread plate seems a little short. Getting the bolts that hold the bumper on the bracket was a pain with my XXL size hands, but my kids helped out and that made things easier. Instructions were adequate for the most part.

Why did I pick this one? Couple of criteria I was looking for.. 1) I wanted to keep the factory trailer hitch, 2) my GX barely fits in my garage length wise, so a permanent tire carrier on the bumper was going to be a no go, 3) and of course price and style were a consideration. I couldn't find many basic rear bumpers on 14+ Gx's that looked good . Expedition One had a holiday special last year + being able to pick up locally swayed me to buy one.

I took some pics of the install and I still need to do some wiring on the lights and finish a few things up. I'll do a complete report in a week or 2 when I sort out the last odds and ends.

Last edited:
I like the design but I want an integrated hitch so it kills it for my needs/desires. Looks great though.

Let's see:

Cutting: You have to cut off the the lower plastic skirt of the bumper and 2 brackets off the face of the cross beam. I cut the plastic with a dremel tool and the brackets with an angle grinder. Because the bumper wraps around everything, the cuts were pretty low stress.

Quality: Seems top notch. Welds look good and the powder coating is excellent. Install was pretty straightforward and everything seems laid out well to get to the bolts etc. for the most part so far. There's some trim work I need to figure out near the door opening on top, the aluminum tread plate seems a little short. Getting the bolts that hold the bumper on the bracket was a pain with my XXL size hands, but my kids helped out and that made things easier. Instructions were adequate for the most part.

Why did I pick this one? Couple of criteria I was looking for.. 1) I wanted to keep the factory trailer hitch, 2) my GX barely fits in my garage length wise, so a permanent tire carrier on the bumper was going to be a no go, 3) and of course price and style were a consideration. I couldn't find many basic rear bumpers on 14+ Gx's that looked good . Expedition One had a holiday special last year + being able to pick up locally swayed me to buy one.

I took some pics of the install and I still need to do some wiring on the lights and finish a few things up. I'll do a complete report in a week or 2 when I sort out the last odds and ends.
Does the spare still fit in the original location with this bumper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom