Exhaust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody know of a stainless kit for the 62? I'm living in AK now and wanna upgrade to the SOR header.

Last edited:
Just go to a local muffler shop and tell him what yu want. When my muffler guy installed my headers I had him cut out my cat, re-bend new 4" pipe to fit my offroading needs with a magnaflow for $350out the door. I thought that was a good deal.

isn't 4" pipe to much for an fj60 exhaust? how do you like the performance of the 4" pipe with the magnaflow? how does it sounds? is it to loud? .
I'm planning on doing my entire exhaust and I was thinking on putting 2.5" from the top. thanks.

Andres

For a gasser I'd think 2.0 to 2.5" would be the way to go.

On my diesel conversion I used the stock down pipe from the turbo which is about 2.5" and then reduces to 2.125". From there I removed the muffler and ran unrestricted 3" pipe all the way back.

It sounds awesome and seems to flow really well. It did improve performance slightly over the stock exhaust.

BTW - I purposely left in the 2.125" restriction on the stock pipe. It's to keep water out during river crossings. My reasoning is that the exhaust gas has to flow faster in this section of pipe, thus preventing water from getting into the engine (as long as I keep RPMs up).

Just got my exhaust done on my 86 fj60 from the manifold back(stainless steel) at a local shop for $400 canadian. Got rid of the cat as I'm smog exempt here in my Province. Kept it at 2 1/4. That included all parts, labor and a high performance stainless exhaust. Also got him to bend the tail pipe around the back wheel. Wow does she ever purr now! Some of the best money I've spent on my Cruiser so far. I should have done it long ago...

George

Just go to a local muffler shop and tell him what yu want. When my muffler guy installed my headers I had him cut out my cat, re-bend new 4" pipe to fit my offroading needs with a magnaflow for $350out the door. I thought that was a good deal.

LOL.......a "local muffler shop"

in Sitka......

too funny

2.5"

Perfect size.

4" on a 2F will hurt your performance.

my exhaust

LOL 4"!!! My neighbors twin turbo supra has a 4" exhaust!

This is how it goes down. I have a 2.5" exhaust from the exhaust manifold to the tail pipe with less bends than original design.
I am still sound and emissions legal with a magnaflow cat and muffler!
The exhaust temp sensor has to be installed at the same distance from the exhaust manifold for proper readings.

If you want more power you need less restrictions in the exhaust. But too much is bad too!!!

I am extremely happy with my results and if I had to do it again I would do it the same way.(maybe experiment with cat size and placement)

Magnaflow muffler $90
Magnaflow cat 40
installation and materials 150

grand total of $280

here are pics of my exhaust

x1pPHu2K6HCG6p8fYfJ_o0IXwJefUKMyLktR_Z1FLI7WxaRfBB48GOUTC70TcM4GxOzsYCcuMPzKXobVlAxwwEBSExalURwm7mKuFjKRxtSLn5vd3jYPLkliw

x1pPHu2K6HCG6p8fYfJ_o0IX-J8g1AmeOh9ZR7vf0v19vcYC0sTLLk4f0zHP_mLc-u0tCEU9MscQuCmQOtkK9sOz3f4GSvaPVldau0-ob2Fe2O86F2esdkaog

x1pPHu2K6HCG6p8fYfJ_o0IX5rCb2BZJqGIB6W29oUGkiqR6dLhCl66Ylbip0pORycDzc0RCRYtuXp3fpjvHj4XOkuZOeOczIWntHqnS7tArGymvUxkNX5U6g

This is where the heat sensor was relocated

x1pPHu2K6HCG6p8fYfJ_o0IX4fapaYaSMrDh9Zm1xdQhjI_eHfuBQ62rnRgyPQq1i3Fdb0asLuDD-JUlrQIy5OJKNHLwYnSsz5dpXJOoZbJWUI8os8s5JDzDQ

worth every penny

LOL.......a "local muffler shop"

in Sitka......

too funny

Ya none of that here... Lol. I called Juneau and none of the shops there knew anything. I've done the "local shop" thing many times with other vehicles in CA. Anything in like that up in Anchorage?

I'm putting 2.5" in a few weeks since my exhaust is fried, here in Venezuela we have no restrictions so that won't be the problem. I was thinking on buying magnaflow or flowmaster but here in Venezuela the prices are ridiculous so that would be my problem what muffler should I run, what simple setup would you recomend me ? I think I'm going with the stock standart muffler and a 2.5" pipe from the manifold with the headers.

If you can get a flowmaster or a spintech they might be cheaper...That and try to run the pipe w/ as few bends as possible...

Ya none of that here... Lol. I called Juneau and none of the shops there knew anything. I've done the "local shop" thing many times with other vehicles in CA. Anything in like that up in Anchorage?

there are shops in anchorage, but i haven't used one for 20 years, so i have no recommendations......perhaps other alaskans on the board will give some advice......

LOL 4"!!! My neighbors twin turbo supra has a 4" exhaust!

This is how it goes down. I have a 2.5" exhaust from the exhaust manifold to the tail pipe with less bends than original design.
I am still sound and emissions legal with a magnaflow cat and muffler!
The exhaust temp sensor has to be installed at the same distance from the exhaust manifold for proper readings.

If you want more power you need less restrictions in the exhaust. But too much is bad too!!!

I am extremely happy with my results and if I had to do it again I would do it the same way.(maybe experiment with cat size and placement)

Magnaflow muffler $90
Magnaflow cat 40
installation and materials 150

grand total of $280

here are pics of my exhaust

x1pPHu2K6HCG6p8fYfJ_o0IXwJefUKMyLktR_Z1FLI7WxaRfBB48GOUTC70TcM4GxOzsYCcuMPzKXobVlAxwwEBSExalURwm7mKuFjKRxtSLn5vd3jYPLkliw

x1pPHu2K6HCG6p8fYfJ_o0IX-J8g1AmeOh9ZR7vf0v19vcYC0sTLLk4f0zHP_mLc-u0tCEU9MscQuCmQOtkK9sOz3f4GSvaPVldau0-ob2Fe2O86F2esdkaog

x1pPHu2K6HCG6p8fYfJ_o0IX5rCb2BZJqGIB6W29oUGkiqR6dLhCl66Ylbip0pORycDzc0RCRYtuXp3fpjvHj4XOkuZOeOczIWntHqnS7tArGymvUxkNX5U6g

This is where the heat sensor was relocated

x1pPHu2K6HCG6p8fYfJ_o0IX4fapaYaSMrDh9Zm1xdQhjI_eHfuBQ62rnRgyPQq1i3Fdb0asLuDD-JUlrQIy5OJKNHLwYnSsz5dpXJOoZbJWUI8os8s5JDzDQ

worth every penny

Why did you put the O2 sensor in the end of the Cat? I would think that it would read hottor there than anywere else.

Why did you put the O2 sensor in the end of the Cat? I would think that it would read hottor there than anywere else.
Heat sensor, not O2 sensor..

3 inch pipe into turbo muffler 3 inch tailpipe exiting rear left. Custom with only 4 mandrel bends. simply beautiful and sounds perfect... not loud, but quietly rumbletastic :grinpimp:

Thanks to Clay @ Danny's Muffler in Tahlequah, OK. Can't tell you the price, but it was under $200 bones.

3 inch pipe into turbo muffler 3 inch tailpipe exiting rear left. Custom with only 4 mandrel bends. simply beautiful and sounds perfect... not loud, but quietly rumbletastic :grinpimp:

Thanks to Clay @ Danny's Muffler in Tahlequah, OK. Can't tell you the price, but it was under $200 bones.

Can you put up some pics?

You guys are nuts! (I like that).
General rule of thumb...

2-2.5" for I or V6 or V8's under 250bhp.
3" for V8's over 250, but under 550bhp.
3.5-4" for anything over 600bhp.

Going bigger can actually damage some parts as you need backpressure just as much as you need "free flow". Yes, some Acura rice racers will make it look like they have a 5" exhaust with a tip, but remember that thier headers dump out at about 1.5". Its all faux.
For some really nice (and inexpensive) mufflers check out Summit Racing.
Choosing the correct diametre exhaust will give you reliable service with balanced power while not trashing parts. Often the most misunderstood system on a 4x4.

So what size is the OEM exhaust piping? What size would it be if I ordered it from Toyota (since I hear the price is right).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom