Exhaust leak now (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Usually around the house, sometimes in a tree or a
So I got the AFM fixed and my rig isrunning good, but now I have developed a rather annoying leak that seems to be coming form the Cat. area. The O2 sensors are in need of replacement and have been in code for about 2-3 months now. I have the new ones from C-dan on the bench just haven't gotten the time to install. Couls my leak be coming from that area? Do the Cats ever go bad? At 200K maybe its time for a new exhaust system?

I'd say a new exhaust system is in order... New downpipes, cats, O2 sensors (you already have those, right?), muffler, tailpipe, but keep the manifolds... They are pretty efficient as it is.

I have a similar leak, planning on doing this myself in the future. Plus, two mounts are busted, and my O2 sensors are going bad. But....I have other things to worry about.

Any idea on cost to replace

I'd imagine anywhere from $300~$400 for all new pipe/cats/muffler, minus the O2 sensors... Possibly more if you go for higher-end cats. I know DanKunz got his done for ~$300 including cats, but he's got an FZJ.

Ok, figured where the leak was coming from. Coming back from lunch today I downshifted to merge into traffic and the outside O2 sensor blew right out of the pipe. Now its really loud. Guess I don't have to struggle with that one. Can't figure it out, the threaded studs are still there but the nuts are gone. ???

Ok, figured where the leak was coming from. Coming back from lunch today I downshifted to merge into traffic and the outside O2 sensor blew right out of the pipe. Now its really loud. Guess I don't have to struggle with that one. Can't figure it out, the threaded studs are still there but the nuts are gone. ???

The nuts will rot off and leave the studs (its a good thing though) . BTDT you may need to run a die down the stud just in case there are some of the old treads left from the nuts .

Getting the nut off is not the hard part. Its getting the gasket off is what was a pain on mine.
I ended up removing the pipe so I could get all the gasket off.

If you do remove the pipe, use SS nuts/bolts on the cats. It makes them easy to remove at a later time. I have removed them once after I installed SS nuts with ease. NO MORE BEATING MY NUTS OFF :D

Question, What size are the studs? i have to buy new nuts and want to get the correct size. Also I ordered new sensors from C-dan the part numbers are different, does it matter which sensor goes where? If so which goes where? Thanks, I'm going to do this this weekend.

Just order the nuts and studs (if you need them) from dan, that way you know you have the right parts for the job.
As for the sensors, they are not the same if they are OEM, you won't be able to screw them up, its easy to fig out which one goes where.
My problem was which way to mount the gasket? It goes on either way.

Yea that would be fine except i need to do this job today. I can't keep driving around with a big hole in the exhaust. I'm going to stop and get a die set so I can clean up the threads this morning. I'm going to pick up some 12 mm and 10 mm nuts. and see what happens

I got the outside sensoe replaced on Sun. re-cut the threads on the stud and all is good. Could not get the inside one out at all. Nuts are pretty much gone so there is nothng I can do there. tried to pound it off with a cold chisel, no luck. Spraued the hell out it w/PB blaster again and will try again in few days. At least its quieter again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom