Exhaust Clamp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wxm

Threads
I had my local shop replaced the exhaust from the front cat to the header a while back for my 96LX. I have been annoyed by the fact the new exhaust is very load. Now I am thinking whether the noise was from the improper clamp. Well, initially the shop did not put the clamp (to the tranny bracket) at all. I remember that the noise was much worse, so I went back to them and ask them to clamp it down. Anyway, they clamped using the U-Bolt type of clamp. It helped a lot, but still not very good. For months I have been searching for the exhaust leak, but now I am think may be it is clamp. For those who replaced your front exhaust, what kind of clamp do you use, could clamp be the culprit at all?

61wQ+-0KQpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I don’t have the bracket on and my exhaust backs off every once in a while. Need to fix it.

I suspect one or more of your exhaust gaskets was improperly installed or damaged. I just did an OTRAM replacement exhaust and both the factory and OTRAM exhaust uses the flange style fitting that requires a gasket from the cat back fitting. Do you have a picture?

When you say cat to header you mean the y-pipe right? Their are 2 additional flange gaskets that could have been damaged from the manifold to the y pipe and the only thing a clamp like that could be used for would be replacing the strap on the upper y-pipe to the body (not sure what transmission mount location you all are talking about). If the shop didn’t install this clamp initially there could have easily been damage to one or more of the gaskets before they corrected that problem. The gaskets look like an alloy metal with some sort of ceramic inner linear that could have been damaged from all the unsupported weight and slowly deteriorated afterwords.

You have a pic or 2 of the suspect problem area?

Thanks. I will try to take a few photo this weekend.

Also if you use parts store gaskets they won't hold up. Did that the first time when I did my exhaust and they lasted less than a month. Went to OEM the next time and they've been good for several months now. When you compare OEM to the parts store stuff you can tell the OEM is significantly more robust. I thought I read these systems are subject to higher heat and/or pressure than the regular parts store gaskets where designed to withstand.

Snaps a few pictures early today.

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg

This is the stainless clamp I used (99% sure it was the 2" I used). More like the factory band clamp than the U-bolt style:

It's Nickson #673200 if the links gets stale. Looks like Rol Exhaust is the actual manufacturer, using the same part number:

Thanks @Jeeper. That is what I am looking for. Unfortunately, there is no oreilly in NJ and they don’t seem to offer online order. Anyway, I found this (Amazon product ASIN B07C5R7T5D) on Amazon. It looks very similar. Maybe I will give aa try.

I don’t think the clamp style has anything to do with the leak. Perhaps the clamp not being in place for a while but mine has been gone for years (I did also have a period of blowing gaskets between y pipe and exhaust manifold) new hardware and gaskets and repeated torquing after heat cycles fixed me up.

Looks like your leak could be in same area. Left side of flanges look flush and the right appears to have a gap. Also looks like some burnt gasket being pushed out maybe? Start the truck and run around and listen/cup your hands around these two flanges before they heat up to see if you can hear or feel an exhaust leak. Also usually leads to pft pft pft exhaust leak pulse noise.

EF3E3C84-0A07-4D9D-A677-834BC9D4A600.jpeg

I don’t think the clamp style has anything to do with the leak. Perhaps the clamp not being in place for a while but mine has been gone for years (I did also have a period of blowing gaskets between y pipe and exhaust manifold) new hardware and gaskets and repeated torquing after heat cycles fixed me up.

Looks like your leak could be in same area. Left side of flanges look flush and the right appears to have a gap. Also looks like some burnt gasket being pushed out maybe? Start the truck and run around and listen/cup your hands around these two flanges before they heat up to see if you can hear or feel an exhaust leak. Also usually leads to pft pft pft exhaust leak pulse noise.

View attachment 2386291
Scrolling through this thread, that is exactly what raised my eyebrow as well.

Sharp eyes, Guys! Following jfs80's method, I did a test with put hands close to the gap indicated, and have wife step the gas (there was indeed leak, most noticeable while stepping on the gas paddle). I have a couple of factory gaskets on order. Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom