excessive ring gear run out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it a remedy for excessive ring gear run out (0.005 [measured 70,000 miles ago] when the specified max. is 0.0028) by replacing original side bearings with 266,000 miles on them, but never abused in any way, with new bearings?

Thanks

Can you say what causes ring gear runout?

Is there any way to fix ring gear runout other than replacing the parts?

I would think ring gear runout is the part itself or the carrier it is mounted to? What are you doing, refreshing a high mileage diff?

If it all looks good and ran that long already without unusual wear, I don't think it's an issue worth buying expensive parts for. JMHO

Shoot ZUK an email if you want an answer from a very experienced Toyota diff expert. gearinstalls@gmail.com

Thanks

Can you say what causes ring gear runout?

Is there any way to fix ring gear runout other than replacing the parts?

Bad installation can cause it. I had a 7.5 IFS ring gear "bent" by a poor installer back in the 90's

Bad installation can cause it. I had a 7.5 IFS ring gear "bent" by a poor installer back in the 90's
Thanks, but in this case the install was done by toyota and after 195,000 miles I'm thinking wear and tear somewhere, I was thinking maybe the side bearings.

I would think ring gear runout is the part itself or the carrier it is mounted to? What are you doing, refreshing a high mileage diff?

If it all looks good and ran that long already without unusual wear, I don't think it's an issue worth buying expensive parts for. JMHO

Shoot ZUK an email if you want an answer from a very experienced Toyota diff expert. gearinstalls@gmail.com
Thanks, I have just emailed ZUK. And yes, I guess refresh is a good way of putting it.

ZUK says my backlash is very much normal and no reason for concern, so good news and good to go.
Thanks to all for the assist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom