Everything I Ever Learned About Importing (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alex, thanks very much for publishing the information. Very interesting.

[quote author=semlin link=board=21;threadid=10493;start=msg95342#msg95342 date=1075074586]
Alex, you state that "A vehicle not manufactured for the Canadian or US market may ONLY be imported into Canada if it is 15 years old or older".

I am curious whether you are sure of that. I am Canadian and live in Vancouver, I have seen a Canadian registered 80 series VX turbo diesel (LHD) here in town and it is definitely not a mine truck, and I have also seen a 1995 rhd 70 series pickup for sale locally, which must be an import. These are less than 15 years old. Is it perhaps possible to bring in newer vehicles using the same type of exceptions or petitions as you described for the US?

Also, I am curious about the US exemption list. I notice that the NHTSA website lists some "landcruisers" as exempt but gives no model numbers, but how can you find out which landcruiser models these are?

Finally, I imagine, for example, that someone like mustang connection with a big stock would have hired an RI to petition a RHD bj74 into the US by now and then would trumpet the fact that they are US importable. Why isn't this being done?

thanks for the great information
[/quote]

Importing to Canada? Have a look at this Registrar of Imported Vehicles site. There are a few exceptions to the 15 year rule:
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Now, who can find me a 2.4l Turbo diesel out of a Japanese Previa (Estima)??

Last edited:
Here is something I came across that was neat. I would not recommend doctoring or editing this in any shape or form but this may be of help to someone. Those who have said Toyota won't issue the letter are half correct but are not entirely. They will not issue the EPA test but it does (by default) pass NHTSA tests. But this is a given, any Can spec truck up to I believe 1990 (can't remember the year, this was several years ago that I did it) auto-passes the default. But in terms of emissions, because the diesels of the time were the same technology, if someone can prove they are the same emissions or better then you can probably bring it in. The guy who's letter this is brought it in 100% legally. I am not even sure that they noticed that is says "does not meet EPA regulations" but his truck is 100% legal...

Both the thumbnail and full image are here. To view the full image save the picture then view it on your hardrive, otherwise your browser will probably resize it so it's viewable so it won't look any different than the thumbnail.
http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/import/

toy_letter_thumb.JPG

That letter looks just like the one in my file cabinent...

Jumping through hoops aside, it is possible for some people (IE Canadians who moved to the US...like my wife) to import any diesel cruiser that has the same gas model here.

Have done it before...will do it again

Chris

Nice Chirs. I was going through an old PBB thread and saw that you said "it would take some photoshopping before it could get posted" so I ass-ummed it would be OK...

You lurker! 4BT in FJ55 runnning great!

What are the rules for importing an engine? Specifically a 2B into the US.

An engine is just parts. Call your shipper. They should know the regs.
AFAIK, only complete, driveable or easily restorable vehicles are restricted from entering the
country.
If you could manage to convince someone to disassemble a complete running vehicle, say a
HDJ-79 ( :D ), and ship the parts to you piecemeal, you could completely assemble it here in
the US in many states and have it titled as a home-built vehicle. You'd then get a brand new,
non-Toyota VIN.

Aloha,
I have met a person who claims that he can get me a letter like that from Toyota a few weeks ago when he came into my store. To prove his point, he came yesterday with a picture of him and his 1968, I don't remember the exact year, Toyota 2000GT that he said Toyota gave to him, he was racing it a Laguna Seca with Mr. Shelby and his Shelby GT350. He also said that he was the one that introduced Toyota to Hawaii.
I was looking at www.mustang.bc.ca back in May and had my insurance ready to insure a Hilux and my county ready to register it. Then I found out that I wouldn't be able to cross into Washington State from Canada with out importing it. I then found out about NHSTA and the EPA regulations. I got discouraged because a $10,000 toyota Hilux would cost me $20,000 to get it import legal. I thought if I could just get it to Hawaii then I wouldn't have to worry about customs and all that stuff. I know that customs agents in Hawaii have better things to do than to track down a 80' toyota truck. Especially since Toyota trucks are among the highest than any other truck in Maui, well next to cheap fords.
In the end i bought a 03 Tundra. BUT I would still persue a Hilux 4door 4wd RHD truck from mustang connection in Canada. I think I will actually.
Any feedback?

Mike

Thank you for the very informative write up. You have answered alot of questions though now it really seems difficult to get my HZJ79 w/ac and lockers here!

Toyota Letter

Any chance of getting your BJ70 importation compliance letter faxed to me? I am attempting to bring in an '85 BJ70... if anyone can help please fax me at 415-561-6297. Thanks in advance for your time.

PS: I did see the letter for the 82 landcruiser in this thread but was hoping for one closer to my model and brand.

If I had gotten a letter I would not have had to use a registered importer. I have seen a letter from Toyota for an '85 BJ70 that stated it met safety but not emissions, but as I found by contacting Transport Canada Toyota lied in that letter. So, I can't help you with a letter, sorry.

I have two possible scenarios. 1. My girlfriend is from Montreal and plans on becoming a U.S. citizen at the end of the year. She's been here about 12 years though. How easy would it be for her to get a BJ40/60 imported for me? 2. A good friend is a low-level State Dept. diplomat in the Dominican Republic. When I was there, I saw quite a few BJ70s, a couple of HZJs also. She'll be moving back here in 2 years. How easy would it be to get one shipped here in her name then sell/retitle in my name?

70seriesaddict said:
If I had gotten a letter I would not have had to use a registered importer. I have seen a letter from Toyota for an '85 BJ70 that stated it met safety but not emissions, but as I found by contacting Transport Canada Toyota lied in that letter. So, I can't help you with a letter, sorry.

Oh... So thats how you import, I thought you did some fancy foot work with paperwork.

The RI I use to work with was overlooking the EPA, he got caught.

Well, the first BJ70 I imported I did all the research, I worked my tail off Rob, it took me 3.5 months and hundreds of dollars in long distance and boatloads of stress, but I got to the point where I had proof the BJ70 met all standards and I felt comfortable importing, even if I couldn't get a valid letter from Toyota and had to use a registered importer.

I got a copy of a Toyota letter from someone who tried importing a BJ70 about 6 months before me that stated the BJ70 met US safety so I knew it met safety despite what the letter Toyota sent me said when I tried.

Then, for emissions, I called around Transport Canada until I got the right guy and I asked about the emissions cert. on file for the BJ70 and he found the document and told me it was not like the usual certs they get from the manufacturers. We were expecting a document that had all the emissions data which I was then going to compare to US standards for that year to prove compliance. But what they had on file was a document on Toyota letter head that stated that the BJ70 met Canadian emissions standards because it was manufactured to meet US emissions standards (which at that time were more strict than Canadian). He also told me the emissions docs. for the other diesel Cruiser models were the same way.

Now the Transport Canada guy sent a copy of this document to Dwight Smith with the EPA in Ann Arbor who then sent it on to Leonard Lasarus (spelling?) with the EPA in Washington DC who deals with importers. From there who knows where the document went, and both EPA guys I named above have retired and the Transport Canada guy will not respond to me now when I try to contact him to get a copy of it for myself, but I want to try again. I've talked to Dwight since his retirement and he laments that he didn't know I never got a copy and had he know he'd have made me one. Oh well, lesson learned on my part...

I know what RI you are talking about Rob, and I don't understand why they paid the fine when they could have obtained emission info from the Canadian gov. that proved those diesel 40s were legal. I heard they are no longer on the RI list? Did they go bust? I have heard from several importers that because of the downed economy their business (which is mainly wholesale auto auction sales) has dropped by 50% and that many importers are having a hard time staying afloat and many have closed shop already...

I know what RI you are talking about Rob, and I don't understand why they paid the fine when they could have obtained emission info from the Canadian gov. that proved those diesel 40s were legal. I heard they are no longer on the RI list? Did they go bust? I have heard from several importers that because of the downed economy their business (which is mainly wholesale auto auction sales) has dropped by 50% and that many importers are having a hard time staying afloat and many have closed shop already...[/QUOTE]

Oh ya they are hurting big time, there was a time I would see high end vehicles in the shop and everyone was rolling big. Last I heard they closed the shop and moved back to thier homes and the guy I dealt with was looking for something else.

Last I heard they had big lawyers and were not going to pay the fine, I guess they did?

As far as I know they still hold a license and move a few vehicles across.

Wish I could find the RI who petitioned customs and moved a HJ60 across a couple of years ago, its not a mythe. It went into Texas.

Water - The Canadian is allowed to bring one vehicle with them that does not have to meet standards, I knew an Ohio guy whose wife had already moved here from Canada but she had not brought a vehicle with, years later they used he moving there to bring in his BJ75, so one can do after the fact. As for the Dominican diplomat there is no exemption, they are allowed to bring in a vehicle on temporary terms, 1 year, but the vehcile must be exported after the year is up, how the keep track I am not sure, I think some come in and never leave, but it is not legal that way.

there is a Canadian Federal Access to Information Act. Anyone can make a request for a document and it has to be produced with some limited exceptions which I strongly doubt would apply to 20 year old emission standards. If you make a request to Transport Canada asking for copies of the emissions certificate documents with some specificity they will produce them to you or tell you a reason why not at which point you can appeal that decision to an ombudsperson with little or no cost to you. If you think the "fix is in" then you can ask for the emissions documents for several models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom