Euro spec taillights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

876 Cruisers

KZJ70/FZJ70/HJ47/FJ80
Threads
Good day all,

I have a Euro spec kzj70.

the taillights I currently have in them are the ones that use 2 bulbs. But I see another option when I look up the tail lights.

1573571879816.png

this is the one i currently have in my right side

1573571980063.png

and this is the only option Im seeing that is available.

the left side only came with one option that looks like the first one. Can anyone tell me why this was done?

Was it designed so the left side alone comes on for the fog lamp?

Currently both of mine come on.

Thanks in advance

From my experience, the stock setup for Euro spec trucks had rear fog light (red) and reversing light on the left, and reversing light only on the right (with everything else blanked). The turn signals, running lights, and brake lights were originally in the bumper. If your truck still has original bumpers, that's how it should be. If you have an aftermarket bumper, without lights, maybe a PO just put everything in the housings that mount in the body? Just guessing. You should be able to get tri-color taillights that mount in the body and have everything included (brake, signal, reverse, but no fog). This would require some re-wiring to make it work, though.

Thanks for the reply. I do have the original bumpers still. When I checked my local dealer the right side came with 2 options for the fog/reverse light. It had both options like above. I honestly prefer both sides having fog lights instead of one side. But it seems like its the hardest thing to find back that specific lamp assembly and its no longer available through Toyota. I'd love to find another one to have as a spare incase the one I have now ever broke.

Screenshot_20191113-085713_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
All LHD vehicles I've seen/owned with rear fog lights have always been on the driver's side or both sides. Not sure what they do with RHD vehicles.

I took the tri-color tail lights and blacked out the amber/orange lens... in an effort to not get pulled over for my tire spindle obstructing my tail lights. Anyway, it kinda resembles your desired fog/reverse light combo and can be wired as such.

But I agree, it would be beneficial to just convert over and have your brake/turn signal lights up higher for safety reasons.

IMG_6634.jpeg

that sounds like what I will have to do.

Ok thanks

As @hoser mentioned all the cars I’ve owned with a rear fog have had them on the left side. It is/was a European road standard. I believe the fog is to orient followers to center lane, but I don’t know how UK market vehicles are configured. Both my Audi and mb had/have provisions in the right tail light. Japan doesn’t require it.

your best bet is to get creative with what is available. Baja designs make a very nice two led flood for flat mounting, a few others as well. They are good for reverse.

be careful if doing red running lights and brake lights. Led tails can be difficult to detect light output to indicate braking. My bumper tails and depo tails both double up on leds for brakes

a third light would be the best add on from a safety prospective.

CE8F904F-527F-4055-87FB-DEE46F53513A.jpeg
948E8209-3F8C-49F1-ABA6-3C0CBED55782.jpeg
234495DB-2E7E-4AFF-990C-B52F632BCDDD.jpeg

If you can't find one new, maybe you could get a used one? @joekatana seems to have access to used parts in Europe, maybe he could find one for you. Just a thought.

I have some of these at the shop , are you looking for the bottom ones in the bumper or the body mounted blacked out ones?

Body mounted. But the ones that arnt blacked out for the right side

Body mounted. But the ones that arnt blacked out for the right side

So you want a normal body mounted combination lamp to replace the Euro spec blacked out ones ? Cruiser Outfitters has the regular 7x tail lights that came in most other markets.

@joekatana no im seeking the euro spec ones that arnt blacked out.

@joekatana no im seeking the euro spec ones that arnt blacked out.

As far as I know there is only one model that mounts in the body when you have the oem lights in the bumper like most euro specs had , I can look in the shop but I think that all the blacked out ones are identical.

Notice the left and right are the same? None are blacked out. Both are functional lights

Notice the left and right are the same? None are blacked out. Both are functional lights

Never seen that style before so that might be made just for the later Prado models ? Or just for one region in Europe maybe .

i guess worst case ill just have to use one of the blacked out ones or do a conversion to the 3 light on body. Thats ofc if they ever break which i hope they dont.

I replaced my Euro-spec LJ taillights with North America-style taillights from a BJ. Fabbed a new rear bumper without brake lights. These are the ones that came off my LHD 1989 LJ70 from Spain. And a screen shot of the NA spec ones that are on there now. Call the guys at CruiserParts in New Hampshire. They should be able to get you the proper replacements. I don't have an affiliation with them, except as a satisfied customer.
I would offer you mine but I believe the lens became wider and more rounded in 1990.
In the parts diagram you posted, it appears the two-lamp right side harness and lens was specific to RHD vehicles. There should also be a part number on the lenses, usually molded into the clear portion. All the Right Side lenses will have the part prefix 81551. The variations will be in the second half.
As Gilmorneau said, with a little rewiring, there should also be options for replacing the body taillights - eliminating or making redundant, the brake/turn signals in the bumper. If you want to go down that road, I found it pretty easy and a lot tidier, getting the exposed wiring out of the back of the bumper.

IMG_8222.jpg

IMG_8223.jpg

new taillight.png

image is upside down but maybe what you're looking for. Looks identical to the stock image in your original post, upside down and purple sticker, even.

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 6.36.13 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom