ethanol in my fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just discovered my 9month old weber dual 38 carb is leaking from the accelerator pump:mad: wtf this truck is driven 2-3 times a week its driven hard but it shouldnt be leaking already it was over $500 dang dollars i dont think its a quality of the carb issue i am sure its the ethanol in the gas here eating away at my rubber components anyone had any luck with the fuel additives the oil company next to my shop sells recreational non ethanol fuel but you arent suppsed to run that on the street are you? its also way more expensive than regular fuel.

i've heard that adding the water treatment stuff works just as well on getting rid of the ethanol as well.

don't know where you are, but they're nothing saying you can't run "pure" gas if you find it. it's starting to show back up at more places around me, at a slight preium over the ecrap.

I've never heard of any additive that will "get rid" of the ethanol. If there was such a thing, the inventor would be a billionaire by now. There are additives that help to stabilize the ethanol, to help phase seperation and water absobtion, etc. Likewise, I wouldn't think that the ethanol has eaten away at your accel pump that quickly. Most the fuel components these days are built with ethanol in mind.

And I agree, that there is probably no reason that you can't use the non blended fuel if you can get it. The seller has to say its for rec purposes to sell it. But if you can get it, and it's in your budget, do it.

I am not sure about ethanol eating the accelerator pumps diaphrams up but it along with the water it holds in suspension will heavily corrode aluminum and pot metal carbs are made of. Slacker 24-7 has had it eat the foam out of his fuel cell on his buggy so it will obviously attack polypropylene.

Ethanol evaporates quickly leaving the water it holds in suspension behind. The catalyst blended in the gas to allow the ethanol to blend is highly corrosive to non ferrous and ferrous metals. It is best to try to avoid it because it will eat your fuel lines as well.

The only sure way not to buy any is to carry a hydrometer around with you.

as deltapine mentioned ethenol is the devil :mad: it eats plastics in the fuel system that werent designed for it, it leaves water in your fuel system particually if you have a vehicle that sits any at all... and reduces fuel mileage in general. it has caused me alot of issues. if you can find ethenol free fuel.. RUN IT !!!! I have one station 5 miles from me that has it, he says he will never sell ethenol fuel for alot of the above reasons. My cruiser is a 3rd vehicle and does sit some, i have had to drain my fuel tank twice this year, since running without the devil in my tank i have not had the crappy gas issues. My rock crawler sits even more and i have really had issues untill i just decieded to not use ethenol at all in it. can ya tell i hate this crap ? and the fact we are pretty much forced to use it.. i guess we are lucky here with no smog regs, etc... it only runs a couple cents a gallon more than the ethenol blend.

Last edited:
Write your congressman and tell him what a waste ethanol is. It is subsidised at roughly $2.00 per gallon (that's right, your tax money pays to make it) it is a net loss in energy when considering production from start to finish, it has determental effects to hardware and has caused food prices to go up because of the increased market demand for corn. Retarded in every sense. I feel a revolution coming coming...

I don't think the problem is the fuel, it's just the carb, my Weber did the same thing at first. It has stopped by now. Must be self sealing. :hillbilly:

A kit's not expensive, and the pump just uses a rubber diaphragm that you
can change easily...

that said, I think ethanol is one of the bigger boondoggles out there.

Wonder if the Romans used it in the later stages of their 'empire'?

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom