Estimated Cost of Front Bearing Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man, no local love.

So $34 and you still don't have the rest of the parts you need to finish the job i.e. gaskets, star washer or the wheel seal. That actually makes our $40 Timken kit a bargain as it has your $34 bearing and the gaskets, star washer, NOK Japanese wheel seal and full step by step instructions. Two kits will ship in a $8 Priority Box, $88 retail and we have you covered with everything needed.

These are the parts you should have on hand for a bearing job, particularly if you haven't been into it recently:

View attachment 1584516
Koyo bearings shown, we stock the Timkens in bulk too.

Amazon does have the wheel seal starting at $9.95 :D

Need just bearings/races? We can beat Amazons price to your door by a few bucks. Why don't we sell them loose except by special inquiry? Because the star washer is a MUST, the seal is great ideal and the gaskets are a good idea.

Yeah i should have checked your site. I was just amazed people were saying $100/axle for just the bearings.

Man, no local love.

So $34 and you still don't have the rest of the parts you need to finish the job i.e. gaskets, star washer or the wheel seal. That actually makes our $40 Timken kit a bargain as it has your $34 bearing and the gaskets, star washer, NOK Japanese wheel seal and full step by step instructions. Two kits will ship in a $8 Priority Box, $88 retail and we have you covered with everything needed.

These are the parts you should have on hand for a bearing job, particularly if you haven't been into it recently:

View attachment 1584516
Koyo bearings shown, we stock the Timkens in bulk too.

Amazon does have the wheel seal starting at $9.95 :D

Need just bearings/races? We can beat Amazons price to your door by a few bucks. Why don't we sell them loose except by special inquiry? Because the star washer is a MUST, the seal is great ideal and the gaskets are a good idea.
This is great!
I definitely would have gone with this if I saw it earlier, but now have everything on its way from several different places.
I'll check you guys out the next time I need stuff though, which might be soon haha.

Also, I was wondering if you could clear up a model number question since you guys sell a kit.
I've been seeing people post two models, Timken JLM104948 and JLM104949 with the same race, JLM104910.
What's the difference, and are they both okay to use?

This is great!
I definitely would have gone with this if I saw it earlier, but now have everything on its way from several different places.
I'll check you guys out the next time I need stuff though, which might be soon haha.

Also, I was wondering if you could clear up a model number question since you guys sell a kit.
I've been seeing people post two models, Timken JLM104948 and JLM104949 with the same race, JLM104910.
Not sure which one is which, but this might be the inside radius on the bearing inner race and may not allow the bearings to seat properly on the spindle.

I would not go so far as to change wheel bearings without trunnion bearings, as I think there is a greater chance those will go bad before regular inner and outer wheel bearings. So if your inner and outers are bad, i would bet the trunnions died before that. Those things take a beating. I did the @cruiseroutfit kit as PM and because i just wanted to know, i cleaned my old bearings to see how they looked. trunnions were shattered and the inner and outer were probably still fine. When i say Shattered i mean it. lots of little pieces. I had zero play before the job. PM that actually fixed something broken.

Not sure why i didnt mention the obvious... Just tighten up the bearing to get rid of the play and pass inspection then go replace the stuff inside when you get home.

I have bad front rotors, but figured since I'm already there, I would do some preventative maintenance. We've had the car for 20 years, but its mostly just been sitting in the driveway for the past 5 years, and I'm finally working on it since I graduated college.

I'll come back and deal with the rear bearing and do all the axel maintenance down the line, but there's some other pressing issues I have at the moment.

This is great!

Races are absolutely different between the inner and outer wheel bearing. It simply wouldn't work to try and mate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom