Engineer/Ophir/Mineral Creek trip report. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Steve,

Do you think Black Bear Pass is stocker friendly? My LX is like @92LXAZ 's. I was planning on bringing some kiddos and don't want to freak them out.

Our LX are far from stock even at stock! :steer: 💪 It was amazing actually seeing what it can do (ie. Mineral Creek). You'll be fine, no experience at Black Bear, but I have watched a ton of YouTube so! The steps are the most intimidating to me. The switchbacks and narrow road not as much. Have seen vid of Raptor, full size H1, do it so no worries. Slow and steady wins.

Hey Steve,

Do you think Black Bear Pass is stocker friendly? My LX is like @92LXAZ 's. I was planning on bringing some kiddos and don't want to freak them out.

just about everything is passable in stock form. The Black Bear is mostly switchbacks and you should have no issues if you take it slow and work with a spotter if you have any concerns.

I’m going to telluride for the first time next month for a week to camp. Any suggestions? I’ll be in a well built GX470, just looking for places to set up shop.

I’m going to telluride for the first time next month for a week to camp. Any suggestions? I’ll be in a well built GX470, just looking for places to set up shop.

We found a great dispersed camping spot at Priest lake last year.

Not sure if this is the right thread but here are some fun pics of me and my son wheeling Ophir Pass on Sunday. Sorry I missed you @ARJMN and @Saddletramp

BE24D389-D4F2-4E99-93A4-216C85B2FD69.jpeg

282850F0-EF5B-4586-9E3D-75530A59F137.jpeg

C0CEFFEE-1893-470E-9C47-DA60DAB19483.jpeg

B6AF76A5-4AE8-4E40-9814-C96DB78A2AEA.jpeg

0E70F92F-E64C-4EB7-96D1-7C52630AEA33.jpeg

I was there last week and will be returning in a few weeks. Crazy busy up there! If "you" were in an FJ you got a wave from me. The Un FJ Summit seemed to be a big success. We left on Friday though. We did a part of the UT BDR that we couldn't do 6 years ago because of 10 ft of snow and section one of the CO BDR (It's really easy with a trailer). We also did Rimrocker. Fun to do once but not one that I would put in my list of have to do over and over.

Safe travels to everyone.

Not sure if this is the right thread but here are some fun pics of me and my son wheeling Ophir Pass on Sunday. Sorry I missed you @ARJMN and @Saddletramp

I'll take your pics in my trip report thread. Looks like it's turning into a San Juan trip party, all good and pretty cool. Glad I started it :rofl:.

I'm assuming the LX did great!

I'll add to it by asking those who have recently done Black Bear Pass, is it doable solo in a 200 series? Seems like the switchbacks may be a bit tight and/or require a spotter for a vehicle that size. Considering doing it as a side trail on my way up to LCDC in Fort Collins. Thoughts?

Yes you can do it solo, but there will always be a crowd on BB. One person in our group drove an F250 extended cab long bed on everytrail in the SW Rockies. All doable including Poughkeepsie. Except for the wall. This was three days ago
1595714502717.jpeg

I never in a million years would have thought there was enough room for a F250 to get down those switchbacks. Amazing. Now I have to do it.

Ford has made a lot of improvements over the years 😃

Agree. They lost their way for a time IMO in the late 90s-early 2000s. I grew up with Ford's and still wouldn't mind one. Dad still has a '42 grain truck, '72 F250, '84 F350.

Agree. They lost their way for a time IMO in the late 90s-early 2000s. I grew up with Ford's and still wouldn't mind one. Dad still has a '42 grain truck, '72 F250, '84 F350.
I am always amazed where Rod can get that F250 to go. 6" lift, 37's, and a flexy chassis gets you a lot offroad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom